Old 01-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #1

Ferry axle clearance

I live in Washington State where we live and die by the tides and ferries.
My new Viking 17FQ is a single axle trailer.
I want to get on ferries with it but have great concern the back end including the black water and grey water discharge (sewer port) could hit bottom and break off or get damaged.

The ferry ramp from the road connecting to the ferry, especially in low tide conditions, is at probably a 15% angle.
So, when getting on the ferry the tow vehicle would be on the ferry deck (flat - level)while the trailer is still on the ramp at an angle before it rolls onto the flat ferry deck (level).

I have about 10" from the lowest point on the sewer discharge port to the ground.

I may be over thinking this but I don't want under think it either. Could ruin a nice vacation and a new trailer.

Any experience or thoughts?

I've attached a picture with the ramp highlighted in red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferry.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	195459  

IslandEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:48 PM   #2

Hey IslandEd,
We did a trip up the Sunshine in BC this summer. It’s 2 ferries up there and 2 ferries back, stayed at the government site at Saltery Bay...very relaxing.
Had no issues on the ferry ramps, even on low tide. My son in law drug the bumper on his 5er the once, but we were all good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	065F23F7-E254-4B5F-9DE7-EEE46DC109B8.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	195483  

Old 01-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #3

Pickup another drop tow bar... one that lowers the tongue below what your normal height is. Rig up the lower tow bar as you enter the area, then after you exit the ferry area, stop and put the normal tow bar on. For about $50 this should do the trick by giving you a few extra inches of clearance at the back of the trailer.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:32 PM   #4

A photo of your sewer outlets would be helpful. 10" clearance at the very back of the trailer is very different than 10" near the axle.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC.campr View Post
Hey IslandEd,
We did a trip up the Sunshine in BC this summer. It’s 2 ferries up there and 2 ferries back, stayed at the government site at Saltery Bay...very relaxing.
Had no issues on the ferry ramps, even on low tide. My son in law drug the bumper on his 5er the once, but we were all good.
If you get a minute would mind measuring the distance from the bottom of the sewer discharge port to level ground so I can compare?
Much appreciated information.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEd View Post
If you get a minute would mind measuring the distance from the bottom of the sewer discharge port to level ground so I can compare?
Much appreciated information.
I'm also interested in where you camped in BC. Planning trip for July.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #7

I also have a Viking 17FQ. My only concern was dragging the stabilizer jacks in the back. The jacks were mounted on the very back of the frame and they hung about 4 inches below the skid shoes. I moved them forward about 3 feet so that they skids would hit first. My tank drains are far enough forward that I don't think I could hit them unless I went over a very high, short bump. I would not go over a bump like that if I saw it before I hit it.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
I also have a Viking 17FQ. My only concern was dragging the stabilizer jacks in the back. The jacks were mounted on the very back of the frame and they hung about 4 inches below the skid shoes. I moved them forward about 3 feet so that they skids would hit first. My tank drains are far enough forward that I don't think I could hit them unless I went over a very high, short bump. I would not go over a bump like that if I saw it before I hit it.
BarabooBob,
Thanks for that information.
I also have a 2017 Toyota Highlander with a Fastway E2 WDH.
Have you ever had the skids drag?
Also, are you suggesting I should be more concerned with hitting the stabilizers than the drains and as long as I don't go over a high short bump I should be ok?

The ferry ramp entrance and exit is not much of an angle. Please refer to the picture at the top of this thread and give me your opinion. The ramp is outlined in red. I know it will be a guess and will not be relied upon.
I'm just being extra cautious. My nature. Measure twice cut once kind of thing.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:39 PM   #9

We originally had the 13” tires on ours...with **** for clearance. I swapped the axle and put 15” on our unit and lifted it 4”. You can see in the pic where we sit for clearance now.
Even before, if we touched in the back end it was always on the skid bars. I didn’t take out the plumbing even at 8” clearance, never hit the jacks.
Don’t think you’d have an issue at 10” clearance....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D4909549-6B6E-47F7-906D-46EF2BBE2886.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	530.1 KB
ID:	195534  
Old 01-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC.campr View Post
We originally had the 13” tires on ours...with **** for clearance. I swapped the axle and put 15” on our unit and lifted it 4”. You can see in the pic where we sit for clearance now.
Even before, if we touched in the back end it was always on the skid bars. I didn’t take out the plumbing even at 8” clearance, never hit the jacks.
Don’t think you’d have an issue at 10” clearance....
BC.campr,
Whats the approximate cost of flipping the axle and is there a downside. I have 14" tires.

Tags
axle