Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #21
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by luker0 View Post
Exactly, which is why I'm making it "a bit harder" than the trailer next to me. Several colleagues have had chairs and stuff stolen while out on a hike when they had the stock locks on. None have had anything taken after changing out the locks.
Wow... I must be lucky.
In 40+ years I've never felt threatened enough, even once... let alone several times, to think my camping neighbors would steal my possessions by using THEIR key in my R/V.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 04-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #22
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:

Maybe a "hey did you know" post would have been more appropriate. A sarcastic post like the one above is not appreciated.
You need to have a sense of humor around here...

Otherwise, you are not going to like this place...or anywhere else on the internet, for that matter.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #23

Maybe a better idea is to pick campgrounds more carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Moral of the story is, don't keep anything valuable in those compartments, especially if you put your rig 'in storage'. I think I will continue to keep mine unlocked, as the damage caused by a dirtbag trying to pry them open will far exceed the value of the contents.
Maybe a better idea is to just pick where you camp more carefully.

I keep my pressure washer on the covered deck of my neighbor's site. (He gets to use it--I get to store it out of the weather.) He also keeps an 8-foot stepladder by the deck which I am free to use. His next-door neighbor keeps a pressure washer and an air compressor under his trailer in plain sight, has also given me permission to use.

I've got beer and white wine in a residential refrigerator in an unlocked cabin next to the trailer and a four-burner grill and bicycle on my own deck, and a golf cart with key in it next to the deck. Its charger is in the cabin. Two zero-G chairs in the cabin and a bunch of deck chairs under a tarp alongside it.

I'm not careless, and might lock if we hit the road, but I wouldn't like to camp where paranoia is necessary

Larry
Old 04-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #24

Quote:
PDI went well and that 204RD is home.
- get a surge protector
Nice looking rig.

May I suggest that you get an Electrical Management System like this that has over and under voltage protection. There are other companies that have similar models.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N0W4CZ8/ref=emc_b_5_i
We prefer the portable model because you can test at the pole before you get backed in. We've also used it to test nearby posts when something is wrong with our assigned space. That way we can tell them where we'd like to move.

Also consider picking up a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter. Many parks have only 50 amp or the 30 amp is damaged and you can use the 50 amp.
https://smile.amazon.com/IZTOSS-Adap...sr=1-8-catcorr

Both can be picked up at an rv store.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Nice looking rig.

May I suggest that you get an Electrical Management System like this that has over and under voltage protection. There are other companies that have similar models.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N0W4CZ8/ref=emc_b_5_i

We prefer the portable model because you can test at the pole before you get backed in. We've also used it to test nearby posts when something is wrong with our assigned space. That way we can tell them where we'd like to move.

Also consider picking up a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter. Many parks have only 50 amp or the 30 amp is damaged and you can use the 50 amp.

https://smile.amazon.com/IZTOSS-Adap...sr=1-8-catcorr

Both can be picked up at an rv store.
Still debating EMS vs Surge Protector. Have been canvassing camper friends on the topic and results appear to be 40% EMS, 40% surge and 20% nothing at all. Have a month to decide and defer some cost. This month has been spendy.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
You need to have a sense of humor around here...

Otherwise, you are not going to like this place...or anywhere else on the internet, for that matter.

I spend a lot of time on about a dozen forums and have been involved in this kind of thing since BBS in the late 80s. This is by far the worst of the bunch, with the attitude shown here detracting from the value.

Instead of telling people to have a sense of humor how about we start with common courtesy to others?

I very likely will be leaving this place as most threads end up pretty crappy.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post

I keep my pressure washer on the covered deck of my neighbor's site. (He gets to use it--I get to store it out of the weather.) He also keeps an 8-foot stepladder by the deck which I am free to use. His next-door neighbor keeps a pressure washer and an air compressor under his trailer in plain sight, has also given me permission to use.

I've got beer and white wine in a residential refrigerator in an unlocked cabin next to the trailer and a four-burner grill and bicycle on my own deck, and a golf cart with key in it next to the deck. Its charger is in the cabin. Two zero-G chairs in the cabin and a bunch of deck chairs under a tarp alongside it.

I'm not careless, and might lock if we hit the road, but I wouldn't like to camp where paranoia is necessary

Larry
Good for you that you've never had anything stolen and have good places to camp. That won't always be the case where we are going.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #28

Quote:
I spend a lot of time on about a dozen forums and have been involved in this kind of thing since BBS in the late 80s. This is by far the worst of the bunch, with the attitude shown here detracting from the value.

Instead of telling people to have a sense of humor how about we start with common courtesy to others?

Same here...

Been online since I had a TI 99-4A computer with a 160-baud modem.

That was in the early 80's...

But I do have a sense of humor...

Old 04-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Still debating EMS vs Surge Protector. Have been canvassing camper friends on the topic and results appear to be 40% EMS, 40% surge and 20% nothing at all. Have a month to decide and defer some cost. This month has been spendy.
At the minimum, get a surge protector. We used one for years on our tt.
It saved us from reverse polarity at least once every camping season and at least once on an open ground.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
At the minimum, get a surge protector. We used one for years on our tt.

It saved us from reverse polarity at least once every camping season and at least once on an open ground.
Yeah at a minimum that is on the list.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post

Larry
We moved from a very nice area in Southern CA to small town on the West side of Lake Norman in NC in CA if we didn't put it any thing of value away away or lock it up you can bet it was going to be gone Living here in NC now for two years I'm still amazed what people leave outside or don't lock up and it's still there in the morning
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Old 04-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #32

My grandpappy used to say...

"You never know what will happen...until it happens!".
Old 04-08-2019, 05:17 PM   #33

Congrats on a nice camper! We have the 192RBS and love it. Plenty of room for just the two of us.

Do you have storage under the bed accessible from the inside? If so, you might want to consider a bed lift kit. I installed one and I can lift it with one finger.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Congrats on a nice camper! We have the 192RBS and love it. Plenty of room for just the two of us.

Do you have storage under the bed accessible from the inside? If so, you might want to consider a bed lift kit. I installed one and I can lift it with one finger.
Yes I do. Waiting to see how often we go into that space before looking at a lift kit. Good to know though that you have one and it works well.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #35

Quote:

FYI This is the most G rated forum of many SIG forums I visit. I consider the value of the advice given by 99% of the posters to be worth a lot, and worth having to ignore the occasional nitwit.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #36

Built a box yesterday to keep the hitch bars nice and neat when not in use. Also stores the axe. Click image for larger version

Name:	1161704797.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	201247
Old 04-08-2019, 09:45 PM   #37
Retired Old Fart

That's a pretty big axe. You expecting zombies?
Old 04-08-2019, 09:55 PM   #38

Quote:

Bye..bye..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
Old 04-08-2019, 09:55 PM   #39

That's not an AXE, mate..............It's just a Hatchet.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:00 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Bye..bye..
And there you have it. Too bad a few bad apples ruin it here. Seems to the same 5-6 people.

I'm out, enjoy your camping folks.
Closed Thread