Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Talking First TT- Coachmen FE 292BHDS

We are picking up our first TT on Monday! Any advice and equipment we will need to get started camping?
MIFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #2

Hey there, and welcome to the forums .

That's a nice TT your picking up. We got ours in April and have been having a great time with it and love it.

The most important tip I can give you is to do a thorough inspection at the dealer of all systems and take a look at everything you can for defects. Its easier to find out issues before you take it home and start camping.

My water pump failed first time using it, but luckily it was in my driveway while I was sanitizing the the fresh water system and not while camping.

Check the following for sure:

Air Conditioning
Heater
Fridge (both electric mode and gas mode)
Water pump
Stove/Oven
Outdoor fridge and Coleman stove (if equipped)
Radio/DVD (check that all speakers are functioning)
TV
Power Awning
Power stabilizers
All electric outlets (bring a polarity tester is you have one)
Battery/Tank Monitoring system
Check under sinks and trailer for leaks while water is running

Look under the trailer at the axles and springs. Make sure there is a nice arch on the springs and that he axles don't look bent. ( the axles should have a slight arch up in the middle of them and NOT be totally flat).

How I know this because I noticed my springs where squeaking and flat as a pancake after only a few trips and about 400 miles.

As for equipment, buy a wheel wrench and bottle jack as the TT does not come with one because with the el' cheapo tires the mfrs put on, you'll never know when you'll need it.
You will also need wheel chocks and probably something to level the trailer on uneven ground (like 2x6 and 1x6 boards or levelling blocks).

The rest of the equipment you need for camping will be up to you really, and that is part of the fun starting out. You'll have your D'OH! moments when you realized I should have brought.....

Oh ya a few basic tools come in handy for any needed repairs on the road.

Most of all have FUN
2013 Nights Booked: 38
2013 Nights Camped: 40
pwrplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I second pwrplay's excellent suggestion to do a thorough PDI. Three things will help you here - 1. Get one of the many lists so you don't forget anything. 2. Schedule pickup for the morning and let the dealer know you plan to take your time. 3. Do not sign the acceptance paperwork until this is done to your satisfaction. The most power you have is right up to the point you sign for the thing.

Congratulations on your new trailer!!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #4

Thanks alot guys. I appreciate the input. I am picking it up Monday, and I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #5

Congrats....we love ours and hope you will too. I went through a very detailed checklist I found on the Internet as well as the dealers and still missed one thing. If your new trailer is equipped with a black tank wash out, have them hook the hose up and try it out. We found out that our connection in the pantry for this was not tight when the water started coming out of the trailer. It was a simple fix to tighten, but I then checked every fitting I could find again. Good luck and don't let them rush you through it.
Yellowjacket2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #6

Well we picked up our trailer, and hauled it home today, approximately 60 miles. It pulled well, especially with the Equalizer hitch installed. I still think I want to install air bags in the rear suspension, to level me out slightly better. Everytime we hit those dips in the road, the front of the truck was floating. However, for being a 6,000 lb. trailer, I was surprised my truck pulled it so well.

The trailer was completely gone through and inspected. There are a few things I plan on doing before our first trip in 2 weeks. I'm going to seal the tub surround better, and a few other minor things to make it home.

We are planning our first trip close to home, just in case I forgot things to take with us. I'll keep y'all up to date with how things go.
Equal-i-zer 10K WD Hitch
The DW, 3 DD's and a Dog named Dixie
Old 08-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Good to hear that the pdi went well and you got home safe.

Please do keep us updated on how things are going. And don't forget the pictures if you wish to share becasue we love pictures.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFireman View Post
Well we picked up our trailer, and hauled it home today, approximately 60 miles. It pulled well, especially with the Equalizer hitch installed. I still think I want to install air bags in the rear suspension, to level me out slightly better. Everytime we hit those dips in the road, the front of the truck was floating. However, for being a 6,000 lb. trailer, I was surprised my truck pulled it so well.

The trailer was completely gone through and inspected. There are a few things I plan on doing before our first trip in 2 weeks. I'm going to seal the tub surround better, and a few other minor things to make it home.

We are planning our first trip close to home, just in case I forgot things to take with us. I'll keep y'all up to date with how things go.
Congrats on your new rig. While camping, go through everything and start making a list for warranty items. I recommend do a night of camp driveway to be sure you get most of what you need. Make it a fun family night. Keep us informed on how everything goes and have fun.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #9

Well I sure hope you have better luck then we have with our piece! Yeah, the ol 5.3 does an OK job of pulling the TT until the hills. Or am I just not used to V-8's pulling 4k rpm's for extended periods of time?? And yes the front end bouncing thing is rather annoying. Let me know if you get that figured out.

sledhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #10

Airbags will help alot.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrplay View Post
The rest of the equipment you need for camping will be up to you really, and that is part of the fun starting out. You'll have your D'OH! moments when you realized I should have brought.....
And D'OH! What did I buy that for?

Have fun...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #12

Tonight was the first night at the campground. Well, at least the wife and my little one get to try it out. I had to work unfortunately.

The trailer pulled well. I can definitely feel the weight now on my truck, and I am going to invest in air bags before next year's camping season...... probably some engine mods as well.

We spent the last few days getting what I thought was everything we needed. I now have a whole other list of things to get and add into the trailer gear. I am thankful to report though, we have no major issues. My right rear jack is having some issues engaging however. I am going to have it fixed under warranty this fall when we get it winterized. I did lube alot of the locks and hinges, and even lubed the slide mechanism, which helped immensely with the performance.

Other than that, I am very happy with the trailer. So far, I have 4 more trips planned before mid-November. Take care y'all!
Equal-i-zer 10K WD Hitch
The DW, 3 DD's and a Dog named Dixie