Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 12:14 AM   #1

For those of you with problems...read this

Hey friends, This post is in response to those of you who have some regrets buying your Coachmen do to problems.

A buddy of mine on the Ford forum just purchased a 2016 Keystone Montana for around $90k. From day one there were major problems with both of his Whisper AC units and leveling system. Now, it turns out that his frame might have been assembled incorrectly and requires major structural repair and welding to get it fixed. Worse of all, both his dealer and Keystone are blowing him off. Montana won't even talk to a customer as they only deal directly with dealerships.

Here is the forum (I've posted the link starting at the part where he noticed frame issues)..

Long story short. Just because you pay more for an RV doesn't equate to better quality ot lack of major and minor issues. The industry needs to change for sure.

The 6.7's new tow mate: 2016 Montana 3790RD - Page 25 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:58 AM   #2

Even more disturbing is that this is happening with his Keystone in spite of the "Quality" messages presented by Keystone via their website.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...YglylHvL5wfMdX

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Montana won't even talk to a customer as they only deal directly with dealerships.
While having some issues with a new RV seems to be the norm, the bigger take away from your friends story is how the manufacturer and/or dealer work to resolve it.

Your quote above makes me feel much better for buying my Chapparal instead of the Keystone Sprinter I looked at the week prior to buying this one.

I have had to contact the factory twice. Once for a minor warranty issue while I was on vacation. Joe was great help on the phone. And a second time when my trailer was hit driving to the Smokies. Bob, on the repair side, has been amazing getting me a quote from pics I sent (I'm still waiting on a quote from the other person's insurance company) and working with scheduling to let me get as much camping season as I can before towing it 6 hours to Middlebury.

If the manufacturer won't talk to you about a frame requiring "major structural repairs", I doubt they treat the guy with a faucet question any better.

Thanks for confirming I made the right decision.

j

2016 nights camped: 40
2017 nights camped: 16
2017 nights reserved: 30
VizJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #4

Man I hate to hear that. He and I talked several times while he was on this forum. After seeing what he went through with his 365 I was hoping his Montana would treat him a little better.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #5

We've had a few issues with our Coachmen 360IBL but nothing that makes us unhappy with our purchase. Just issues DH was able to handle or we got some unexpected help from "angels in disguise" (that will be in a post in a few days). Still love the layout, the price, just being in it.

BTW those "angels in disguise" told us they'd had lots of service calls on the Montana for various reasons and that the "whisper quiet" system is the ducting/system in the rv but that the Dometic air conditioning unit is what was the problem. Said they'd replaced quite a few of those this summer.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
Man I hate to hear that. He and I talked several times while he was on this forum. After seeing what he went through with his 365 I was hoping his Montana would treat him a little better.
I feel terrible for him. Such a great feeling shot down when crap like that happens

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
Old 08-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #7

bad montana.

I,l say again montanas have less problems than fr. Look and compair the size of their forums.
martin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin73 View Post
I,l say again montanas have less problems than fr. Look and compair the size of their forums.
Im not disagreeing with you, Im just pointing out that problems happen. Forum size might not be a good reference point considering Berkshire Hathaway and Forest River have about 60 makes and models in their lineup.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #9

I'm one of the ones that left FR to a Montana. I've said it before and I'll say it again, all RVs come with problems. Even when we were experiencing many issues with the FR, the dealership was great and FR offered to take it to the factory for repair, so I can't complain about their service.

So far, our MT has been much better overall than the Wildcat, but it's still in the shop for the second full week for some minor stuff that should have not happened during the build. Further, we did an extensive 3-1/2 hr PDI and still some stuff came up. So far, the dealer and Keystone are treating us right.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote