Old 03-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLud View Post
We have 13 F150 Screw with Max tow, payload supposed to be 1900ish, sticker is at 1750. Kids are young and light yet, both units are right around 7800 yellow sticker on the door. Figuring 800 at tongue weight, roughly 1000 pounds left for wife and small (but growing) kids and gear. Please correct me if see anything wrong with that.
I think you're good, mostly. The yellow sticker is going to be low as it does include more things than the advertised "dry weight", but it'll only increase from there once you add water to the tanks (if you do), your personal belongings and camping supplies. You'll probably need to be aware of how much stuff you carry in the truck bed (bikes, firewood, grill, etc.). Also don't forget the weight of carseats and stuff.

Even at 1,000 pounds of tongue weight- that still gives you 750 pounds to work with. It certainly sounds feasible.

It might be worth the exercise of loading the truck up like y'all were going camping and hitting a scale to find out your true weight. That'll give you a firm number of how much tongue weight you can carry (i.e. gross vehicle weight rating - actual scaled weight).

Take care and happy camping!

Old 03-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #12

Yellow sticker weight was like 7800, so yeah could imagine 9000 loaded up, but was still thinking of being able to keep weight below 1000 on hitch worst case.

I could go down to the 310BHDS, that yellow sticker was at 7200ish, and was one of my thoughts as it gives me all the nice coachmen features like solid surface, power stuff, fireplace, etc...plus i get 2nd door and outside kitchen, all with lower weight. Wife loves the 312 and i debated her on the 310 and lost, which somehow led to the Keystone Outback which she was ok with (dont ask me why as to me 310 features are nicer).

Old 03-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Fulltime family RVer

I think I've read on here that the average RVer adds 1,800 pounds to their campers. BUT- that could be completely poppycock.

It sounds like you're thinking and that is most important. Just be aware and make an educated decision. I'd hate to see you end up with too much camper and have to upgrade your truck (seeing that it seems very new itself).

Oh and wives always win. It keeps the world centered and the universe correct and all that jazz! I wanted to stay under 35' and absolutely wouldn't go over 40' when we were shopping. Somehow our camper is 42'! I love it, but dang- it's a of of camper!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
daydreaming about camping

At 9K loaded up (which I still think is light for the 312, I truly believe you will be more like 9500 without water), 15% would be 1350 lbs. 13% is 1170.

I think you will be over 1000lbs tongue weight. For all your calculation, I would suggest you use 1200 lbs. That is more conservative.

I know the posted weights on the Keystone Bullit line are much lighter as those are considered ultr-lites. But the Outback is very unlikely to weigh any less.

To put it in perspective, no matter tha manufacturer they are using many of the same components. In other words they are using frames and couple capable of 12K, and axles of at least 10K. No manufacturer ever builds a trailer with heavier running gear than they need. So the GVWR is the best number to look at. I know we could easily hit 10K with our trailer by just taking along a little more gear.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #15

Forgot to mention just had the Ford dealer here showing her a new explorer sport trying to get her out of her suburban.....this is going to be an expensive year. Not sure how i feel going from a suburban to a small explorer, but dang that sport is fast....

On the trailer, I admit I hate the idea of 37 feet behind the back bumper and being almost as long as a semi, with 4 kids screaming.....think the cockpit with a little enemy contact might be more relaxing.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
daydreaming about camping

I know the feeling. On our way home Wednesday we stopped at a truck stop for fuel and then parked to go inside, stretch legs potty etc. We were only 5 ft shorter than the semi next to us. That sobers you a little.

And how do you fit 4 kids in a pick-up? This is starting to sound less like vacation and more like work...

We tow with an Excursion. I can stack kids back there like firewood.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #17
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLud View Post
On the trailer, I admit I hate the idea of 37 feet behind the back bumper and being almost as long as a semi, with 4 kids screaming.....think the cockpit with a little enemy contact might be more relaxing.
LOL! We're 58 1/2' bumper to bumper when we're hitched up with our crew cab/long bed and camper. Yep- just shorter than a semi! Usually my kids are good (just 2 of them- a 9 year old and a less than 1 year old)- but we did have an evening where the little guy lost it for like an hour plus. He was just done with bring in a car seat. It was brutal.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
Grandpa's big Blue truck

You're truck will handle the tt (mine does) make sure that you get a wdh with sway control and set it up properly if it is a dd it is a compromise though if it is a tv only go to a F250+ you will be more comfortable with the bigger tt
Love camping with grandkids
russellsawatsky 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #19

Its a DD. Went to buy an F250 Superduty Diesel, just for the hell of it really. When I got the options I wanted, looked at the price and rebates which were not that good at year end. The F150 Eco with the same options (probably a few more) was 13k less than the superduty diesel. That was a lot, made up the choice that I could get by towing with that.

I had to get the XLT package with the fold down front seat console, not the big ones most trucks have now. That way I can fit 3 in the front, 3 across the back, and be legal and such. I can guarantee kids will be fighting, meltdowns will happen, and yes, I often question my sanity for wanting to do this...
Old 03-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
Grandpa's big Blue truck

You have made the same decision I did I had my heart set on a F350 cc diesel but I can't justify the extra cost mine is a XLT XTR (a Canadian package ) same seats you have and I still think that I made the right decision

Love camping with grandkids
russellsawatsky 56 is offline   Reply With Quote