Old 01-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forum neighbor! I feel your concern about these temperatures. Happy Camping from Beaufort.

2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:55 AM   #12

We had a trip planned for Thanksgiving, 2013, and I hoped to get through November without winterizing. About a week before the trip we had 30 degrees forecast, but since our coach was in covered storage that was open at the front but closed on the sides and rear, I felt it would be okay. It is open to the east so I knew it would warm up quickly the next morning. I woke up about 4 am that morning (not intentionally!) and decided to go check on it. When I got to the storage site it was less than 25 degrees! I ran the furnace and water heater for about 45 minutes and thoroughly warmed everything up, and didn't have a problem. It was below freezing the next night, too, but not quite as cold. I went to the site and ran the furnace and water heater again.

I had no problems that time, but I won't let that happen again. I worry too much to take chances. And as others have posted, the grief of broken plumbing is way worse than the trouble and expense of winterizing and extra time or two.

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #13

Freezing weather

I rarely have more than one night of freezing weather due to both my southern and my island locations. Most years my outdoor plants don't even freeze. Lately it has been different. So much for global warming. I've had to learn a tremendous amount this year as a non mechnical person who travels on my own. Now I'll add winterizing to my learning - or maybe just spend more time in Florida. Again, thank all of you for your help through this forum. It is appreciated!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #14

Nice, you made it through the cold! I always wonder just how cold it needs to be & for how long before a pipe would burst. I'm too far north so mine's winterized.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #15

I really enjoy corresponding with all of you RV experts. As I said before, if you see a Coachmen 19cb with a Skidaway Island, Savannah, Georgia tag on the front please stop by and let me ask you lots and lots of questions!
Old 02-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Camper View Post
I always wonder just how cold it needs to be & for how long before a pipe would burst.
I wonder that too ....So we may freeze for the first time in 5 yrs down here in Tampa ... only couple nights and may not happen. What temp & how long??? ideas?
What are you all using to blow out the water? DH is claiming we need to replace the anode & water filter if he takes it apart ?
Old 02-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #17

Savannah Freezing Temps

It did get down to 25 here in Savannah for one night. Maybe it was warmer near the water where my RV is stored. I store with holding tanks and water tank empty. Have since spent a month in Fl (a wk of that at wonderful Ft.Desoto) and have had no problems with the RV.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
I wonder that too ....So we may freeze for the first time in 5 yrs down here in Tampa ... only couple nights and may not happen. What temp & how long??? ideas?
What are you all using to blow out the water? DH is claiming we need to replace the anode & water filter if he takes it apart ?

Removing the anode doesn't factor into replacement. You replace "as needed," or when it's useful life has run its course. Just google it.
Just my opinion... For me, if the temps are right at or just below freezing for only a couple hours, I don't worry too much about it. If it drops into the mid or lower 20's, I blow the lines out with air and drain the HW tank. I use an oilless pancake IR air compressor to blow the lines. I purchased a quick connect adaptor from Amazon... One end screws into the water intake on my TT, the other end is the air quick connect. Set my PSI to 30-35.
And don't forget to blow out the black tank flush too.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-15-2015, 06:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
Removing the anode doesn't factor into replacement. You replace "as needed," or when it's useful life has run its course. Just google it.
Just my opinion... For me, if the temps are right at or just below freezing for only a couple hours, I don't worry too much about it. If it drops into the mid or lower 20's, I blow the lines out with air and drain the HW tank. I use an oilless pancake IR air compressor to blow the lines. I purchased a quick connect adaptor from Amazon... One end screws into the water intake on my TT, the other end is the air quick connect. Set my PSI to 30-35.
And don't forget to blow out the black tank flush too.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
This is exactly what I did. The blow out plug came from Walmart's RV section and the pancake air compressor from Harbor Freight.

= Too easy...

US Army Retired
Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #20

our one night of hard freeze is over for the year (I hope) ... opened & drained all the lines but no blowing out (DH claims it was overkill).....next rip April ...hope all is well!