Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #1

Freshwater tank supports

Noticed on my new RV after filling the fresh water tank that the supports look bowed. Anyone have this problem? How did they fix it.
gserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #2

Can you post a pic?
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #3

My problem was with the support giving out at the location of the notch on the vertical side of the angle iron (red). I added angle irons over the original ones (yellow), added hairpin clips to the cross supports to keep them in place should there be another failure (blue) and although I've heard nothing about the welds breaking, I added a bracket (purple) to tie the angle irons to the camper frame for extra measure. I now travel with a full load of water (when necessary) and I don't worry a bit about losing my tank on the highway. Larry G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SptFix.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	140207  
aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #4

Ditto

This needs to be reported to NHTSA!
First 3 pics before MY FIX!
Last 2 show bolt in/on replacement done right - - only 10 pounds different and could have been lighter,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fwd Frame Cross Member Collapse sm.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	140213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank & Frame Bulges fm Rear sm.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	140214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Bulge fm Rear sm.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	140215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Complete sm.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	140216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wide sm.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	140218  

270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #5

The reason they don't make extreme firm supports under the FW tank is that if you ever forget and fill it up and it overflows a LOT, with strong under supports, the floor will buckle. Without them (as it's designed now), the straps break, and angle iron is bent, and the tank is warped.........but no floor buckle.

That is what the factory told me was/is their reasoning.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
The reason they don't make extreme firm supports under the FW tank is that if you ever forget and fill it up and it overflows a LOT, with strong under supports, the floor will buckle. Without them (as it's designed now), the straps break, and angle iron is bent, and the tank is warped.........but no floor buckle.

An excuse......my dog ate my homework LOL.

If the tank is not installed tight to the underside of the floor how does it buckle anything?

When my tank was tight to the floor when filled you could tell it did bow the floor up slightly, maybe 1/4", if the trailer was out of level side to side. Those tanks can balloon but only a certain amount. They simply do not care to admit to the design problem.

Now that my supports are built to the task at hand and a 3/4" airspace is between tank and floor, I can fill or overkill as much as I want and do not need worry about it falling off on the road. Odd that a company who makes these can not figure it out.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #7

Quote:

When my fresh tank overflows water simply comes out the overflow vent and goes to the ground.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #8

Quote:

I don't believe that for a second. The braces are so poorly designed, I don't believe you would need a full tank to cause a failure. If that was truly the reason, they should have designed the water tank with a clearance between the top of the tank and floor. It's a classic case of making excuses as opposed to manning up to their bad design. Besides, I don't see how filling the tank full should buckle the floor. The tank has an overflow to prevent too much water from remaining in the tank. As we all know, water travels the path of least resistance. I say if too much water is entering the tank, it'll come out the overflow as well as the water fill connection before it buckles the floor. Now I agree if you are bouncing down the highway with a full tank of water, the bounce of the tank against the floor may cause problems, but again, that's another design flaw. Larry G.
aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:51 PM   #9

Quote:

Why wouldn't there be enough support top and bottom to keep the tank from bulging? There's an overflow, right?

I don't doubt they told you that, but it doesn't make sense to me. Maybe they know something I don't know.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:57 AM   #10

Ditto all replies. They just 1) purchase low bidder, 2) purchase lightest regardless of meeting requirements or not 3) really don't know what they are doing (I'm a marine and now RV component/installer OEM) 4) it is just a FLAWED design! regarless of whether they admit it or not.

BTW, when I reported my case, they said, "we've been expecting this"
Old 06-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #11
Take it easy,but take it

Factory

So why won't the factory/dealership,do a repair to fix the problem ?
Nickrenfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrenfro View Post
So why won't the factory/dealership,do a repair to fix the problem ?
Because it will cost someone money? When mine failed Rockwood deferred me to Lippert. Lippert wanted to play games and drag the process out for an amount of time they would not determine, which sort of left a bad taste in my mouth since the supports bent on the 70 mile drive home from the dealer the day we bought it.

Forest River (Rockwood) cared less and pawned it off on the supplier/vendor/component clause in the warranty. The supplier (Lippert) cared less and although stating they would address it, would not commit to any timeframe or course of action. The dealers hands were tied.

These issues with the exact same part have been going on since 2012 or earlier and since they are still shipping new units with these under engineered pieces that should tell everyone how much they give a rats rear end......all of them.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Because it will cost someone money? When mine failed Rockwood deferred me to Lippert. Lippert wanted to play games and drag the process out for an amount of time they would not determine, which sort of left a bad taste in my mouth since the supports bent on the 70 mile drive home from the dealer the day we bought it.

Forest River (Rockwood) cared less and pawned it off on the supplier/vendor/component clause in the warranty. The supplier (Lippert) cared less and although stating they would address it, would not commit to any timeframe or course of action. The dealers hands were tied.

These issues with the exact same part have been going on since 2012 or earlier and since they are still shipping new units with these under engineered pieces that should tell everyone how much they give a rats rear end......all of them.
Preach on Mr Havercamp....[emoji106]
Old 06-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
This needs to be reported to NHTSA!
First 3 pics before MY FIX!
Last 2 show bolt in/on replacement done right - - only 10 pounds different and could have been lighter,
I like that a lot! Do you have more pics? I'd like to see how the angle stock is attached to the trailer frame.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
I like that a lot! Do you have more pics? I'd like to see how the angle stock is attached to the trailer frame.
I custom manufactured my own 4" Tbar from 1/4" bar stock. It was not available stock plus I welded on flat plates on the side so I could bolt it to the TT frame allowing future maintenance, ... vs welding it in permanently. Everything is bolted with SS Bolts together vs welded allowing 100% removal for tank replacement should it ever be required.

You can see it in the 4th picture (2nd from bottom) with sides on the 4" Tbar. I'll include a pic as I am bolting the 5 2" Tbar fore and aft supports to the 2 horizontal 4" Tbars. If you look carefully you can see the holes already drilled in the side plates. The width of the 2 horizontal 4" Tbars is only 1/8" less than the width between the 2 frame members. It was difficult/tight trying to insert them, but tight is right.

FYI, I am a marine OEM. I am appalled by what I have seen and experienced in the RV industry over the last 15 months! FR reimbursed me for the materials ($275), but the 4 figured labor charge for fabrication I had to "EAT".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160617_161653.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	140422  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #16

I would love to inspect mine and reinforce if necessary, however I haven't gotten the motivation to rip down the coroplast yet.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #17

I leave in 10 minutes to take mine to the shop for a new fresh water tank, due not to design problems, but because during assembly the 'breather tube', which is just a piece of garden hose, was crimped between tank and angle iron. Tank buckled, but not the floor....and angle iron twisted and straps broke. But it did not destroy the floor. There are those folks I know where that has happened, almost a total destruction of floor. I'd show pictures, but..........doubt they'd prove much.

They are fixing it.

There can't be enough support top and bottom to keep the tank from bulging, not unless the tank is made of steel or titanium..........???.........how could that even be possible? Tank is plastic.......it is going to buckle with enough pressure.

I see I know far less about this than most...........so I'll just stay out of it.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 06-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I would love to inspect mine and reinforce if necessary, however I haven't gotten the motivation to rip down the coroplast yet.
Mine was on the FR Micro Lite TT. The only "support" was from the shabby 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" welded in horizontal angle iron plus 2 fore and aft "plates". It is open under and the Styrofoam floor above hardly touched the tank.

Reinforcement would be a nightmare. That is why I did a remove and replace. Good luck All. As I said, This should be reported to NHTSA.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #19

Quote:
I leave in 10 minutes to take mine to the shop for a new fresh water tank, due not to design problems, but because during assembly the 'breather tube', which is just a piece of garden hose, was crimped between tank and angle iron. Tank buckled, but not the floor....and angle iron twisted and straps broke. But it did not destroy the floor. There are those folks I know where that has happened, almost a total destruction of floor. I'd show pictures, but..........doubt they'd prove much.

They are fixing it.

There can't be enough support top and bottom to keep the tank from bulging, not unless the tank is made of steel or titanium..........???.........how could that even be possible? Tank is plastic.......it is going to buckle with enough pressure.

I see I know far less about this than most...........so I'll just stay out of it.

People aren't complaining about the plastic tank bulging when full. They are complaining about the tank mounts being inadequate, which ends up failing under the normal weight of the tank. In extreme cases the tank falls out.

If however a tank support bends or breaks due to normal tank expansion when full, that too is a inadequate design.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #20

OK. Possibly I misunderstood.

There's lots on this thing I wish was different, for sure. I just doubt I could have afforded it had it been made to MY specs.

I'll report back when I get it back from dealer.

FROG AR-0019-242

Tags
tank, water, water tank