Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2018, 10:11 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 20
Furnace

We have a 2017 Coachman travel trailer. Our furnace is an Atwood that is controlled by a single zone Dometic LCD thermostat. We are getting ready to go on a camping trip soon and we have the camper plugged into house current and the frig on. When we were outside cleaning our camper the furnace just started running on its own. The Dometic LCD thermostat was in the off position when I checked. It never heated either it continued to blow cool air as well. The propane had been on for at least a week as well. Has anyone had this issue? I am wondering if something in the thermostat is shot. Of course, the furnace is not heating either. Any advice would be great! Thanks! Tad
__________________

tkemnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 5,234
Was the fan control in the on position instead of the auto?
__________________

__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 7,916
You can always do a thermostat reset. I can do no harm. shut the thermostat off. Then hold the + (or up) button while turning it on. Continue to hold the + button until you see "--" . Then release buttons. wait 10 sec and turn on. Be sure to set the thermostat fan control to AUTO
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Was the fan control in the on position instead of the auto?


Yes, fan is on auto. I made that mistake once with fan on low and both a/c and heat were running at same time. Thanks!
tkemnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You can always do a thermostat reset. I can do no harm. shut the thermostat off. Then hold the + (or up) button while turning it on. Continue to hold the + button until you see "--" . Then release buttons. wait 10 sec and turn on. Be sure to set the thermostat fan control to AUTO


Yes. Good idea! I will try resetting it today. It made me a bit nervous that the heater fan came on without being in the camper and the system is off.
Also, there is no specific relay switch for the furnace. There is a 15 amp fuse. Though, if I pull fuse it turns off both furnace fan and the fridge. Fridge will not even run on propane with that fuse out. I do need my fridge for camping.
I will try the reset today. Thanks so much. Tad
tkemnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkemnitzer View Post
Yes. Good idea! I will try resetting it today. It made me a bit nervous that the heater fan came on without being in the camper and the system is off.
Also, there is no specific relay switch for the furnace. There is a 15 amp fuse. Though, if I pull fuse it turns off both furnace fan and the fridge. Fridge will not even run on propane with that fuse out. I do need my fridge for camping.
I will try the reset today. Thanks so much. Tad


I did reset the LCD thermostat a couple times. It seemed to not start in the off mode today. Though, I turned the heat on, in auto mode, and turned thermostat up to 85 to make sure it would call for heat. The camper internal temp was 75 so I figured that would be good enough. The fan finally started but would start and run for like 3 seconds and stop and it kept doing that 5 or 6 times. Then the next 5 or so times the fan would run then the igniter would catch and start furnace and would only run warm air for a few seconds and turn off. I wonder if we have a faulty thermostat control or something wrong with the Atwood furnace? Any thoughts? Thanks! Tad
__________________

tkemnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
furnace

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.