Old 09-07-2019, 08:39 AM   #1

Heated underbelly in trailer... are we SUIUUURE?

Can anybody confirm that the furnace actually ducts into the sealed underbelly on those models where that is implied/claimed, and, more importantly, where?

Iím in the bowels of my 2016 Chaparral 360IBL and can find no evidence that warm air is sent down there whatsoever.

jorn_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:58 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hi

There is often a asnall 1 1/4 duct that just dumps heat in most basements. With all the leaks in the ductwork that often heats the basement too.

B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Hi

There is often a asnall 1 1/4 duct that just dumps heat in most basements. With all the leaks in the ductwork that often heats the basement too.
Thanks for the hint on the diameter; that may help in my search.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #4

I turned on the furnace; looked, listened, and felt for air. Nothing. ��
Old 09-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #5

The term "Heated" means different things to different people.

There could be a heat duct or the space may just be getting heat "leakage" from the living space. If the space is warmer than the outside environment when the living space is heated, it is considered "heated".

One thing that might make people more comfortable is to install a "freeze alarm" in the "underbelly" next to a critical water line. If the temp drops close to freezing it lets you know and you can deploy a small space heater if necessary.

Is there any insulation in the "sealed underbelly"? If so, there's some heat being retained in it.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:07 PM   #6

The belly was only sealed with Coroplast
Old 09-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #7

I pulled up the brochure for the 2016 Chaparral and it doesn't say anything about the heated underbellies that I can see. For the Chaparral, it mentions Radiant shield upgraded insulation but not specific to bellies.

On the same brochure on the bottom for the Xlite and Lite, it does mention fully enclosed bellies with heated and enclosed DUMP VALVES and astro foil thermal insulation.

Here's the link.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2016-...360ibl-tr28117
Old 09-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #8

I do not have ducted heat so yours might be different. My heated tank line comes off the heater and its about 1"1/2. Since my heat comes out the front of the heater I can look in to the front of my heater and see the tank heat line. That's where my tank heater line comes off. So on mine the only thing that's going to force any heat to the tank, is the air resistance that my grill creates. So I don't think I'm going to get much down there.
Cat199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #9

We have a 2017 Coachman Catalina 263RLS with the "Heated and Enclosed" underbelly, and have never been under any illusions as to how they accomplish it. From Day One, I simply went on the premise that they added a sheet of chloroplast to the bottom, and let the fact that the heater duct work is below the floor and above the chloroplast provide the radiant heat in between. It's OK if the system is better than that, but I didn't expect much when I opted for it. For us it was just an additional barrier to small, furry creatures.
SniperDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #10

just worked on my heat in our rv. 2018 tracer and there is a 1 1/2 heat duct that just lays on the underbelly to provide heat. Seems to work well live in Michigan and use during deer hunting season and have not had any freeze ups.

cbgrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, trailer, underbelly, winter