Old 07-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonClark View Post
Didn't air up the tires. I checked the air pressure and they were all at factory spec. Was a little white knuckles when I said 70lb they are at 65 psi. I've been involved in blowouts so not testing air pressure when I don't know what they can take. Tightened sway bar and just made it home now. Thanks for the advise. It's going in for service tues and gonna have them inspect everything and put another sway on it. New to this but should not have had this hard of a time.thanks again everyone

kids think tt stands for tan turd.
The way I read this is He has (1) friction sway bar on this setup,and He didn't have the (1)friction bar (Tightened down to the Stop to begin with)? He is going to have the dealer put on another (Friction Sway) total of (2)! Sounds like the Dealer should have put on a (Better W/D Sway Control)in the First Place!! Would be Nice to Know what His (Tounge Weight) % was during this Towing Home Trip also? Youroo!!

Old 07-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #22

Is no one concerned that he's posting and towing in high winds with a swaying RV?

Just joking, people getting too serious here.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH

Old 07-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Is no one concerned that he's posting and towing in high winds with a swaying RV?

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Beyond posting to find a campground for the night; no.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:54 PM   #24

Great you got home at slower speed sometimes it is only answer. Have made stops in roadside parks while the storm passed and spent an extra night in unexpected heavy storms. I think that our former tt was nose light due to heavy bars. Current equalizer clone seems to have responded well to adjustments after installation, very different but very effective on nose heavy wildcat 29. I used camera to record adjustments I made.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #25

Quote:

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Was waiting for this...I only posted when I was pulled over to adjust or somebody needed food or drink or bathroom. I have not gone to the scales which is silly since my father in law owns one. In everything I've read anything over 27feet, I believe, it's recommended to have 2 sway bars. Will be figured out by the end of this week.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #26
NELA

Quote:

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
(shrug) figured his co-pilot was doing the actual postings if they were happening while on the move.

I do that often for DH when we're traveling together. I take dictation well. /snark

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
(shrug) figured his co-pilot was doing the actual postings if they were happening while on the move.

I do that often for DH when we're traveling together. I take dictation well. /snark
She was rocked to sleep, or banged her head and was passed out.lol

Old 07-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonClark View Post
Was waiting for this...I only posted when I was pulled over to adjust or somebody needed food or drink or bathroom. I have not gone to the scales which is silly since my father in law owns one. In everything I've read anything over 27feet, I believe, it's recommended to have 2 sway bars. Will be figured out by the end of this week.

You don't supply Info on Trailer,Hitch,weight,ect. So all we can do is supply a (WAG) on your case! Most people do (Stop & Pulloff) during these conditions,Your Kids will call it the (Death Wagon)! Youroo!!
Old 07-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I found many references to slowing down.

If the trailer still sways, it is either mis-loaded (tongue to actual trailer weight ratio outside safe limits 10%-15%), no WD hitch and trailer weighs more than 50% above tow vehicle (i.e. truck weighs 5,000 and trailer more than 7,500 pounds and no WD hitch), or too long for tow vehicle wheel base (saw lots of those references too).
Herk, I agree on equipment issues. Most people do not have the ability while travelling how to stop sway.
Last month I saw a Honda Minivan pulling a triple axle Airstream that clocks in at 9500 lbs GVW. Some say you can't fix stupid, despite what ever hitch you have this is grossly overloaded.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
As you say...

Perhaps you can explain it to me. Exactly how does hard tires mitigate trailer sway? Links to source material would help me understand it.

Inquiring minds and all that.

Well, here is an interesting article on trailer sway that says that too much or too little tire air pressure for the load can CAUSE sway.

Search Results

1. Tips on How To Tow a Trailer | etrailer.com

www.etrailer.com/faq-trailertowtips.aspx

If repositioning the load and equipment did not help reduce the sway, a sway control .... Tires with too much or too little air pressure can cause the trailer to sway."

Tips on How To Tow a Trailer | etrailer.com

That makes an lot more sense to me.
This assumes that the correct type is actually ON the trailer. Only ST or LT tires should be on the trailer. P type tires will cause excessive sway and tire failures due to over loading (rated tire load must be reduced by 9%).
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Especially the link to substantiate disregarding the max pressure and "airing the tires to their max (screw spec. If the tire can take it, give it.)"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirerack
The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.
Source

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=219

So let me say this clearly. If the tire (And wheel since we're dealing in absolutes.) can take 80PSI and the trailer sticker specs 65. You may have them aired up to 65, which is spec. Lo and behold, put 80 in. That will help reduce sway according to sources because, the HIGHER PRESSURES AND STIFFER SIDEWALLS OF ST TIRES REDUCE SWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Same goes for your truck, if the rear tires can hold 80 and you're running 65, put 80 in. That stiffening helps keep the trucks tail from wagging.

I know, I know. My experience pales in comparison to y'all.

EDIT TO ADD- Never exceed the tires max pressure as stated on the sidewall no matter what the spec sticker says. Just to clarify that since I speak Greek or something.

Anything else? You'll have to PM me, I'm ditching this thread. I've had enough from y'all.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote