Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #31
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonClark View Post
She was rocked to sleep, or banged her head and was passed out.lol

kids think tt stands for tan turd.

There's no way on this big blue marble I'll ever sleep while DH is towing, and we're no longer newbs at this. Just ain't gonna happen. I just told him yesterday that I don't think I could have gotten back into RVing if I didn't have such faith in his driving and towing abilities. I've assigned my self certain duties, one of which is to constantly monitor the wheels/tires on my side of the 5er via the tow mirrors. Yeah, I'm OCD about those Trail Express still on ours. But I'm going to be checking with a certain tire guy who is a member here about pricing on a set of new shoes for Buffy; Goodyear Marathon Size D, two pairs please! in the next few days.

It'll be nice to finally feel like I don't have to hold my breath every time we're towing.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Source

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=219

So let me say this clearly. If the tire (And wheel since we're dealing in absolutes.) can take 80PSI and the trailer sticker specs 65. You may have them aired up to 65, which is spec. Lo and behold, put 80 in. That will help reduce sway according to sources because, the HIGHER PRESSURES AND STIFFER SIDEWALLS OF ST TIRES REDUCE SWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

The reference you are using is comparing ST and LT tires to P series metric and passenger tires. ST and LT tires are made with stiffer sidewalls and higher pressures for the load range "as compared with "P" series tires".

80 PSI tires are load range E; 65 PSI tires are Load range D.

If the camper has load range E tires on it (and the sticker says 65 PSI on it), the OEM tires would have had to have been replaced by the owner with the higher load range ones.

Trying to put 80 PSI in a 65 PSI OEM D range tire is as stated before "dangerous;" but I don't think that is what you are recommending.

Sway (with the correct tires, inflated to the placard pressure), can not be cured by changing the proper tire pressure for the load.

In fact, over-pressurizing a tire for the load will reduce tread in contact with the road surface (wear patterns for over pressure for load clearly show this) and can increase sway tendencies as stated previously (as does under-inflation and for the same reason).

Stating "not to exceed" the sidewall pressure is a "quibble" because most OEM tires are placarded to be inflated to the max so as to ensure it is capable of handling the load at it's GVWR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	57409  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #33

Everyone is giving great opinions. But I have not heard an "absolute". We are all in a hurry to get home, to get back to work, or just get back. Tailgating someone that is not going fast enough for a driver seams to be the thing to do also. It seams that in high winds, sway is always a possibility. I'm reading that the answers are to "reduce" not "end". It is amazing that the possible answer is to stop and wait for the winds to die down. Disaster is a shadow that follows everyone if not careful. I'm just guessing on this.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #34
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
Everyone is giving great opinions. But I have not heard an "absolute". We are all in a hurry to get home, to get back to work, or just get back. Tailgating someone that is not going fast enough for a driver seams to be the thing to do also. It seams that in high winds, sway is always a possibility. I'm reading that the answers are to "reduce" not "end". It is amazing that the possible answer is to stop and wait for the winds to die down. Disaster is a shadow that follows everyone if not careful. I'm just guessing on this.
In the air force it is called PPPPP - prior planning prevents poor performance.

Much of what needs to be done to prevent your problem involves things that should have been done before you left.

Scaling your rig and adjusting the load for proper tongue load (perhaps); having the correct trailer for your tow vehicle (perhaps); having the correct length tow vehicle for the trailer (perhaps); or buying a much better anti-sway hitch is all best done before you leave.

Now that you are on the road, your options get severely limited.

1) Stay where you are as long as it takes for the winds to die down
2) Hire a towing service to take your camper home
3) Get it (carefully) to a competent RV dealership close by to buy a proper hitch for your camper

I truly wish you and your family safe travels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Equal-I-Zer Hitch installation.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	57411  

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #35

Well thought it was all set but you don't know till you go. By the way I have a 2012 F250 CC 4x4 and a 2014 freedom express 320bhds. For added info I had no problems towing the weekend before heading to the campground. Only had an issue on the way home in high cross winds.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Well thought it was all set but you don't know till you go. By the way I have a 2012 F250 CC 4x4 and a 2014 freedom express 320bhds. For added info I had no problems towing the weekend before heading to the campground. Only had an issue on the way home in high cross winds.
You have plenty of truck for your camper; at 37 feet long it might be "longish" for a short bed crew cab, but also very manageable with a proper hitch.

Your problem is most likely a combination of improper loading and an inadequate hitch for that length of camper.

Without a clear idea of the actual weight of the camper and truck, getting a tongue weight won't help much. Is the camper perfectly level with the truck when hooked up?

Buying an additional friction sway bar (2 total) may help but you most likely will need a true 4 point anti-sway hitch.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #37

High wind the best answer has been given slow down. Another help would be to add weight and the easiest way to do that is fill all the tanks with water. Tanks are at a low center of gravity and the weight is usually over the axles. Mine would equal (2 gray, 1 black and fresh) over 700 lbs. Now it may cause gas mileage to go down but getting home safe is worth it.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
High wind the best answer has been given slow down. Another help would be to add weight and the easiest way to do that is fill all the tanks with water. Tanks are at a low center of gravity and the weight is usually over the axles. Mine would equal (2 gray, 1 black and fresh) over 700 lbs. Now it may cause gas mileage to go down but getting home safe is worth it.
Bad advice to fill Tanks, if our tanks were filled (Ours are in the Very REAR F/W & Gray) it takes T/W off and is a (DEATH TRAP)! All tanks are NOT over the Axles! Youroo!!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #39
Camper Less Camping

Quote:

Then sounds like a hitch/sway control issue if you only experienced problems in high cross winds...Easy fix, just will cost a few dollars
Old 07-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Then sounds like a hitch/sway control issue if you only experienced problems in high cross winds...Easy fix, just will cost a few dollars
Of course it will cost a few $$.lol And my tanks are front and rear of axles, 2 grey, 1 black, 1 fresh. Will deal with the dealer tomorrow and see how that goes.