Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #1

Help! Feedback/Advice Freedom Express 248RBS vs Apex 250RLS

Been years since I've owned a camper. Wife and I started looking at used, then looking at the materials that each manufactured uses. Long tory short we liked the Coachman 248RBS layout when we saw it on line. We looked and worked a good deal and actually put a deposit on one and were all set to get it. Went to the dealer to take delivery and found a "big-to me" issue and told the dealer not accepting. Dealer was fine with this, so we started looking at other ones they had on the lot. In came the Apex 250RLS, i lose my outdoor kithcen but we gain a better sleeper sofa and much more counter space. I also liked the porcelain toilet in the 248RBS, the one in the Apex was plastic and wobbly..

I can't find anything on-line about the floor construction on these, can anyone give me some advice? I was told the 248RBS uses actual plywood, and seems the Apex uses Luan??

Anyone own either the 248RBS or Apex 2502RLS, what do you like or dislike?

Anyone comment on the quality of either, both, or coachman in general?

What about windows? Seemless vs standard windows?

Thank you in advance
CampinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
Site Team

We have had a 248RBS for three years and love it. No issues other than a few minor things that I fixed in less than 10 minutes. Since we do 99% of our cooking outdoors I would not be without the outdoor kitchen. The included outdoor stove is useless ( not connected to house propane) and low end, so I replaced the space with a second drawer and use a large stove on the picnic table. Also like the spacious bathroom and the extra storage space in the bathroom. On ours the floor is a sandwich of plywood and foam and is sturdy. If you are looking at the physical units, just look at one of the areas where plumbing goes through the floor (under a sink) and it is easy to see the makeup of the floor. Curious what your one big negative was.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like you really enjoy the camper. Yeah, without going into details, it was a simple mistake made at the factory that in my opinion could compromise structure later on.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:56 AM   #4

I have had my 249rbs Apex since june 2018. We are very happy with it and have only experienced one minor problem. The shelf under the bathroom sink collapsed with several bottles of cleaner sitting on it. It turned out the shelf had been stapled to the support boards from underneath with no support under the middle of the shelf. This is a simple fix. I have the frameless windows and so far have not had the problems others have stated on here about the windows vibrating open while travelling. I liked the 250rls but it was too heavy for the TV I was planning on using at the time.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #5

also own 243RBS

We have had the 243RBS for a little over a year and love the unit. Had some small issues but the floorplan and quality have been very good. Like the large bathroom and outdoor kitchen which I have used extensively.
The ability to close off the bedroom from rest of unit is very handy.
More storage than we have needed for 4-7 day trips. very tow friendly.
The only issue has been the service from my selling dealer. Terrible customer service and response for warranty repairs. Not FR problems though.
Enjoy!
DrBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies, so we ended up not getting the FR and we had yet another bad experience when we went to take delivery on the Apex. I wanted to make sure that I inspected areas that might be wet, look closely at electrical, AC, etc.. I went around and the sinks were dry, i pulled the access panel to the shower and see standing water (thinking to myself, you got to be kidding..) took my inspection scope and look down the gap (why a gap??) around the drain pipe and I can see more, not a lot.. but more water. How do I know there are not more fittings, connections, etc that are leaking where I can't see them?

Less than 10 in and Im done.. Don't want this.

Going to look at other brands, who know if they're any better or worse but I'm pretty discouraged at this point.

Tags
freedom, freedom express