Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #1

Help with refridgerator

I am very new to this so this will be a very elementary question to most of you but I need help. I just returned from a 2 wk trip in my new Class C. Leaving again in 3 days so don't want to unload refridg/freezer.
Can't get the propane to come on. Read the manual and still didn't work. The dealer gave me a 30 amp to 20 amp converter plug. Can I plug my RV into my house current (with a grounded cord) and run just the refridgerator off of house power?
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
I am very new to this so this will be a very elementary question to most of you but I need help. I just returned from a 2 wk trip in my new Class C. Leaving again in 3 days so don't want to unload refridg/freezer.
Can't get the propane to come on. Read the manual and still didn't work. The dealer gave me a 30 amp to 20 amp converter plug. Can I plug my RV into my house current (with a grounded cord) and run just the refridgerator off of house power?
Hannah,

You can easily run the fridge off of your house current as long as you don't try to run the AC or microwave (without checking how much power you can actually pull without tripping breakers or damaging the house wiring).

The procedure I use to turn on the propane (some tanks like mine are sensitive to the emergency shutoff in the pigtail nut) is:

Make sure both are full (weight them if needed)
Turn OFF both tanks
Wait several minutes
Indicator should be RED

Select the tank opposite the one that has the shortest hose path to the tank.

Using the tank with the SHORTEST path (NOT the one selected)
SLOWLY crack the valve - I MEAN SLOOOOW - the first 1/4 turn is critical).

This should charge the line to the regulator and allow pressure to build up before you select the tank you just opened.
Slowly rotate the tank selector to the open tank
Indicator should go GREEN

Go inside and start ONE range burner
It can take several minutes to purge the air and replace it with gas before it can be started with a spark or match.

If the flame goes out or the burner is low on HIGH, the safety valve has tripped again and you need to start over - just even more slowly open the tank.

Once the burner is lit and in "HIGH" is blue and tall; open the other burners and light them as well; THEY should also be blue and tall.

Got to the closed tank and slowly open it. You should be able to keep the indicator green when you switch back and forth.

You have now purged your tanks and lines.

The fridge should then run on GAS when the "GAS" button is pressed.

When "AUTO" is on and shore power is available, it will not use GAS. It should "auto"matically switch to GAS should the power go out.

If there is no shore power and no gas; the "check" light will come on and alert you to melting ice cream.

Hope this helps.
Herk

PS - you still need 12 volts DC to run the fridge (GAS OR AC!).
It comes from the battery and converter on shore power and the battery alone when disconnected. Make sure you do not have your battery cut out switch engaged when not on shore power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 033.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	521.2 KB
ID:	63040  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #3

Hannah, were you running propane anytime while on your 2 week trip? If so, check your propane level ( people have run out before) if you weren't there may be a spider nest in your burner,which will prevent ignition of fridge. Yes you can run fridge off home electric ( I do it all the time in my c-class. No offence to Herk but part of your directions do not apply to c-class propane tank selection, we only have one tank, all the rest is good !!
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrauts View Post
Hannah, were you running propane anytime while on your 2 week trip? If so, check your propane level ( people have run out before) if you weren't there may be a spider nest in your burner,which will prevent ignition of fridge. Yes you can run fridge off home electric ( I do it all the time in my c-class. No offence to Herk but part of your directions do not apply to c-class propane tank selection, we only have one tank, all the rest is good !!
None taken! Found the post in the Travel Trailer 5th wheel forum and looked no further.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge