Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #1

Hi everyone new here and just picked up a new coachmen 17bhs and have a few questions?

Hello everyone I am new here.The wife and I just picked up a new coachman 17 bhs graduating from or 92 popup that needed a lot of work.I have a few questions for you nice people.We bought it new 2 weeks ago and the dealer went through everything with us just can't remember everything.lol.First question is about the hot water tank I believe the water heater in our trailer only runs off of propane but my brother said on his trailer which is a lot bigger says it might run off of electric or propane like his does and to make sure it is shut off electrically when I have it plugged in the driveway when I am not using it?I did not see any electrical switches anywhere so hopefully I am good.Second question is I see about a 12 inch diameter water circle on my concrete where the cap is to empty the grey and black tank on the ground and checked both pull handles and they are closed and the cap is on?The trailer is new and has not been used yet but I have a sticker that says the factory put non toxic antifreeze in the system when it was built.That is fine but should it be leaking with both valves closed and the cap on?It does say to flush the system before use to get the antifreeze out of it.3 question is I bought some carpet today to line the storage compartments so the linoleum doesn't get scratched up when I tow from things sliding around and there is some screws they put in to hold woods pieces in place that actually split the wood and the screws were going in at a 45 degree angle like someone was just in a hurry to that part of their job done.I could replace it but it is in the storage area where I could not see until I put the carpet in today do you think the dealer would fix it even though I did a walk thru with them?Other then that cannot wait to camp this year our kids are so excited they don't have to sleep with bugs coming in at night because I used to have to duct tape the canvass on the old popup because of some rips in it and we have a bathroom and shower so the wife is so happy.Thanks for any replies would be appreciated.
bigguy214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #2

My gas/electric water heater the electric switch is in water heater cover outside. I had some assembly issues where screws split a couple things and my dealer fixed them no questions asked. Let them know your issues. The worst they can do is say it is not covered and you may be able to fix it yourself. Expect to have a few things fixed and don't expect perfection and you will not be disappointed. The amount of enjoyment we get out of ours far out ways the few problems we have had. Enjoy your new purchase.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:57 PM   #3

On our 17fq the low point drain caps were leaking because they didnt have the washers in either one. On my trailer those are right behind the black and gray tank drain area. Might be them.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #4

Our 195bh didn't have electric hot water. Only gas. If it has electric , there should be a rocker switch outside on the water heater.
Wa11y757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #5

My 17FQ did the same thing - a wet puddle underneath the gray/black water drain even though the cap was still on. When I would remove the cap about a pint of fluid would come out. They had to replace the black water valve because it was leaking.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #6

There should be an electric switch on the inside the water heater compartment. Also, a circuit breaker switch located inside your camper. You should always turn of your water when not using (storage). Also NEVER turn on your water heater without water in the water heater. In order to check for water inside your water heater, pull the pressure relief valve (located inside WH compartment). If water comes out the valve you have proper amount of water. If you turn on the water heater without water, you will burn out the electric element very quickly. Most WH run on both LP or electric whichever you choose or both at the same time for a faster recovery time.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
CDM

Our 2015 17BH does not have an electric option for the water heater, at least not one I could find. If you find one let me know. The workmanship is somewhat spotty, but so far no leaks in any Of the valves. We love the layout and the size is just right for our family of 4. Enjoy! I will send some of the mods we did this year in another post.

2015 Colorado LT
2015 Clipper 17BH
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 04-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Our 2015 17BH does not have an electric option for the water heater, at least not one I could find.
Neither does our 17FQ.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:45 PM   #9

The water heater is LP only on these units. And as txredfish said make sure the tank is full of water before turning it on.

As others have said the hot/cold drain caps tend to leak as they just screw on. I added 1/4 turn ball valves on mine which may be overkill but I like the added insurance.

I think the wood screws being put in haphazard is a symptom of mass production. I bet you'd find similar workmanship in top-of-the-line RVs when you look behind and inside cabinets & storage compartments. Overall we're happy with our 17FQ and I think most owners here feel that way.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #10

Your Coachmen warranty should be one year. We had some issues after we brought it home and the dealer has ordered parts and will fix them all under warranty (stove top bent, spare tire cover ripped, ding on the entry door). We probably won't discover anything else until we do a trial run. Still cold here in VT. Never thought to check the floor in the storage areas, thanks for the tip. Also for the great idea about carpet for those areas.
stellaandspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #11

We took the trailer back to the dealer and they fixed everything on it.It looks great so I couldn't be happier.The carpet I got was at lowes and it was .50 cents a square foot so I think it cost me like 23 dollars to carpet both the front storage area and rear.I had noticed on my brothers he didn't do anything and his storage area is all marked up from stuff sliding around when towing.
bigguy214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #12

Clipper Mods

Any creative ideas for the cupboards? Stacking wire baskets? The lack of drawers is a challenge, although the magnetic strip for knives is a great solution. If you just put a silverware tray down, it's wasted space unless you stack.

2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2004 Toyota Tacoma, V6 (new frame thanks to recall)
stellaandspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellaandspike View Post
Any creative ideas for the cupboards? Stacking wire baskets? The lack of drawers is a challenge, although the magnetic strip for knives is a great solution. If you just put a silverware tray down, it's wasted space unless you stack.

2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2004 Toyota Tacoma, V6 (new frame thanks to recall)
I got a bunch of these little guys at Home Depot for $1 each. Six of them fit under the sink in two stacks of three with room for a coffee pot and toaster.

I've put several more of them in the overhead above the dinette area. Keeps things nice and organized and maximizes space.

Plastic Storage Bins
Old 05-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #14

The cupboards should have come with shelves. Because the doors are smaller than the cabinets it's pretty much impossible to add standard full-width shelves. I build some self supporting shelves (think of an upside down U) to help add storage space.

" The lack of drawers is a challenge" Yes, it is. That's why I and several other members built a drawer where Coachmen should have put one.

I wrote up some instructions on how I went about building mine.

Coachmen 17FQ drawer addition.pdf

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen