Old 09-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #1

Hopefully getting our new TT tomorrow-terrifed

We're supposed to pick up our new Viking 17BH tomorrow. I'm terrified for so many reasons:

never towed anything taller/wider/longer than my popup

am afraid the dealership is gonna try to pull a fast one with a bunch of extra fees etc and I might have to walk (they've been harassing me to death to buy an extended warranty and can't seem to take No for an answer)

never backed up without being able to see over the top of my pop up

At the same time I'm so excited. Like many others we went from tent to pop up and now TT. I am so looking forward to my own bathroom/shower, being able to make my coffee in the morning without having to go outside, not having to spend hours setting up and then hours taking down, and not having to worry about setting up AGAIN once we return home to let it dry ( seems to rain every time we go camping )

I'm not the handiest person around so expect lots of questions.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #2

You've just described just about everyone of us on here when starting out. No worries... You'll soon realize it's actually pretty easy. I went from a tent to a 20' tear drop to a 24' Rockwood and just this week upgraded to a 31' Coachmen, all in a 4-year span. Relax and enjoy your trips.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 09-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #3

Take it slow and take turns wide until you get comfortable.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #4

Welcome and congrats on your new Viking 17BH. Patience and practice and you'll be fine. Like KDNfan said we've all been there at one time or another. If possible try taking your rig to a school parking lot on a Sunday to practice backing. As for the 3rd party extended warranty the dealer makes a huge profit from them hence the pressure you're getting. Just ask them what part of the word NO don't they understand, the N or the O .
Old 09-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unnamed Reader View Post
We're supposed to pick up our new Viking 17BH tomorrow. I'm terrified for so many reasons:

never towed anything taller/wider/longer than my popup

am afraid the dealership is gonna try to pull a fast one with a bunch of extra fees etc and I might have to walk (they've been harassing me to death to buy an extended warranty and can't seem to take No for an answer)

never backed up without being able to see over the top of my pop up

At the same time I'm so excited. Like many others we went from tent to pop up and now TT. I am so looking forward to my own bathroom/shower, being able to make my coffee in the morning without having to go outside, not having to spend hours setting up and then hours taking down, and not having to worry about setting up AGAIN once we return home to let it dry ( seems to rain every time we go camping )

I'm not the handiest person around so expect lots of questions.
Welcome to the forum from SC and congrats on your new TT. My DW can relate. She was as nervous as a cat near a rocking chair when we went to NC to pick up our 36' Fifth Wheel. I wasn't as nervous as she was, but I have to admit, never towing anything other than my boat, having that beast behind me was a bit nerve racking. When I looked in the rear view mirror, I felt like I was about to be ran over.:rollback: by something. I went from nothing to 36' 5'er and have done just fine. Like others have said, take it slow and find a large lot to practice backing up until you feel comfortable.
2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #6

Purchase extended.warranty.straight. from Forest.River. you don't have to buy it from the dealer. Its well worth the piece of mind.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #7

Went from a slide in camper to a 30 foot fifth wheel so I can understand your apprehension.

Take it slow and easy at first and then soon you will be going like you have done it all you life.

If you have not done so please got to the library and print out a couple of copies of the PDI list to take with you.

Make them show you how everything works, if it moves move it.
If a switch is needed or a button pushed know it.
Have them show you the water heater bypass valves.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

You will find that backing a 30 foot trailer is a lot easier than backing a 10 foot one! Find an empty parking lot and practice and you will be fine! When you pick up your trailer ask every "stupid" question and make them operate everything!! Have fun and enjoy!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote