Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 10:02 PM   #1

Houston we have a problem (#3) 360 IBL

Well, it's really problem #4 but haven't yet taken a picture of #3 so here goes.... we had noticed a funky smell coming from our kitchen sink area. DH had looked, seen nothing. No leaks. We figured it was just when the kitchen grey tank was getting near to full as the smell would go away after dumping the grey tank for the kitchen. Then today it got so bad I thought I would need a gas mask. DH started looking under the sink again and this time saw this. Don't think it was this way when the smell first started but with time and movement and travel, it became more noticeable. DH said no glue, no adhesive, no thing holding this junction together (it's the vent pipe to the outside). DH said it should permanently connected with adhesive or joint compound. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Still happy with the 360? Yes as these problems have all been minor but I'm beginning to worry.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	118791  
Old 08-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #2

Got a response from dalford on this thread (but now it's gone?) saying it looked broken. DH really delved into it this morning and guess what? It IS broken. Needless to say, what we thought would be a simple repair has turned into a project. Sigh......

We are trying to figure out how it broke so that it doesn't happen again and DH said he read on a forum somewhere that the black pvc pipe can be brittle. We only keep our cleaning supplies on that side of the under the sink counter (spray bottles and boxes of swiffer wipes) and can't see how that would have been the cause.

dalford, I am sorry to say you were right.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootingranny View Post
Got a response from dalford on this thread (but now it's gone?) saying it looked broken. DH really delved into it this morning and guess what? It IS broken. Needless to say, what we thought would be a simple repair has turned into a project. Sigh......

We are trying to figure out how it broke so that it doesn't happen again and DH said he read on a forum somewhere that the black pvc pipe can be brittle. We only keep our cleaning supplies on that side of the under the sink counter (spray bottles and boxes of swiffer wipes) and can't see how that would have been the cause.

Look up Fernco Rubber Fittings,they have what you need! Youroo!!
Old 08-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootingranny View Post

Yea, I pulled my post because when I looked more closely I could not tell from the pic and did not want to just be guessing.. Sorry I was right.. Lol...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:07 AM   #5

DH went to Home Depot in the little town close to us. They didn't even carry the ABS piping but they did carry PVC pipe (which is white). After talking to the guys there, he got a Fernco rubber fitting, just like Youroo said, and it's fixed! I love a guy who's can do stuff like this! Thanks DH!! And thanks Youroo and dalford.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2821.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	118833  
Old 08-30-2016, 01:13 PM   #6

You're Welcom

You're welcome!
Goferbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #7

That should fix it for good.Looked to me the piping was short.Again the same plumber.It'll make it move some so maybe not break down below again.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
That should fix it for good.Looked to me the piping was short.Again the same plumber.It'll make it move some so maybe not break down below again.

Agree ~ A short pipe and easier to set it there than get another piece and do it right.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #9

Yep, CapnJohn, if it had been a water line or even a sewer line I would have redone the whole thing to make it right. But I figure since it's just a vent the rubber patch would hold. Thanks to all for the input!
Goferbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:52 PM   #10

Kitchen Smell

To prevent future grey tank smells (unrelated to your issue), I drop a capful of the bathroom tank supplement - keeps the grey tank fresh.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabarbob View Post
To prevent future grey tank smells (unrelated to your issue), I drop a capful of the bathroom tank supplement - keeps the grey tank fresh.
What supplement

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:13 PM   #12

And DaveandSue...got any more things we should be looking for cos we apparently had the same plumbing crew! LOL. Would like to stop any issues in their tracks before they get too bad!

And thanks for the observation that it may have just been too short 'cos I was thinking and wondering all day how we could have done that so that we didn't do whatever it was that caused this issue again.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #13

Interesting about the smell. Yes when there is a defective vent the fumes have to go some place and its usually into the cabinet or a wall or in the case of a house into the room. Those rubber connections work great and you can also use them on a actual waste line. Much easier to make a repair than getting out the PVC glue and cutting pipe. A shot of Dawn dish detergent into the grey tank and the waste tank also helps to clean them out a bit better.

Brandon2
2014 Sun Seeker
2500TS
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #14

Scootingranny I haven't had any other issues.Or at least none yet. Only other thing that quit working was our water pump.It was sucking air around the winterise port.Pipe dope on the cap fixed that,but about drove me crazy finding where the air was sucking in.DW said it was a short trip too.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote