Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #1

How Fragile is my Awning?

We are enjoying our new 2013 Coachmen Mirada 35bh.. This is our first Coach but already we've taken it on several traips since December.

When we did our walk-through, the salesmen gave us a Big-Fat warning about the awning. He made it sound like if the wind was anything more than a puff, it would break.

So far we haven't really needed the shade cause even in Texas, it's not that warm yet! But the hot days are coming and we are booked for a week in Myrtle Beach, SC in August, so I know we'll want to use that awning.

Question--just how fragile is that thing anyway? If I tie the two outside corners down, that should stabilize it pretty well... Can those of you with experience give me an idea of what wind or gust-speed the awning can survive without damage? Ours is an electric one, if that matters, and 12' long.
statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Your salesman gave you the straight scoop. They are pretty flimsy and will bang and literally destroy themselves in anything but a mild breeze. I just happen to have the remedy for the problem.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...kit-35780.html
Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
One Happy Camper!

From my experience they are pretty strong. Our previous TT Awning was still in good shape after 18 years. There are tiedowns and anti flap devices you can get, but you will know when the wind is too much. Never ever leave the awning out when you leave the unit parked. Winds can pick up pretty quickly. As long as you are on site you will know when the wind is getting to the point it may cause damage. The dealers will almost always warn you to the extreme because they dont want you blaming them when you leave the awning out in a hurricane.

There may be a recommended wind speed but I don't know what it is. Others on here might.

Regards,

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPD View Post
From my experience they are pretty strong. Our previous TT Awning was still in good shape after 18 years. There are tiedowns and anti flap devices you can get, but you will know when the wind is too much. Never ever leave the awning out when you leave the unit parked. Winds can pick up pretty quickly. As long as you are on site you will know when the wind is getting to the point it may cause damage. The dealers will almost always warn you to the extreme because they dont want you blaming them when you leave the awning out in a hurricane.

There may be a recommended wind speed but I don't know what it is. Others on here might.

Regards,

SPPD
You no doubt had the manual awning and they are quite a bit stronger than the new Dometic/A&E power awnings.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
One Happy Camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You no doubt had the manual awning and they are quite a bit stronger than the new Dometic/A&E power awnings.
Ya, I guess I should have mentioned that little bit of pertinant information. I have not camped in my new unit yet so in my mind all awnings are manual lol.

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

then when your done with OC's little mod try this one !
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mod-20827.html

Between the two of us we've got you hooked up with your new awning !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #7

IMHO while the new power awnings are convenient, they're just not as durable in the long run as the manual ones.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
then when your done with OC's little mod try this one !
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mod-20827.html

Between the two of us we've got you hooked up with your new awning !
Again, bad as I hate to agree with you. The two do make a fantastic combination. Durable, functional and great conversation items. Happy, Happy, Happy!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by statgeek View Post
... Ours is an electric one, if that matters, and 12' long.
My old small 2005 trailer had a 14' manual awning. It could be tied down with the manual poles to be fairly sturdy.

My new 2013 trailer has a 21' electric-auto awning. It can't be easily tied down with the more fragile auto pole design.

Which.... is why I just bought OldCoot's tie-down kit. It's in shipment today, and I haven't had a chance to install it yet.

It's now more convenient for me to retract my electric-auto awning, and I usually do at night or if I'll be gone a bit or if the wind gets up. Still, I'm looking forward to the "also convenient" way his tie-down kit is designed. Plan to leave it out a little more, but still be able to stow quick if I must.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #10

Ok... Ill bite... How much for that mod kit?

And... It links to me like it attaches permanently to the awning near that thing that flips up when awning is retracted. I don't fully understand that "flip-up" piece does, but I know that it must flip up to travel. Does your mod interfere with that? I.e.msafe to travel with it connected?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:

Again, bad as I hate to agree with you. The two do make a fantastic combination. Durable, functional and great conversation items. Happy, Happy, Happy!
I'm not really sure I know what this thing does? I mean, my awning is activated by a switch already-and the motor stops when I stop pushing the button. What does this little gadget do? Cause a man can NEVER have enough remotes!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #12

F1100turno- I don't get it? What does your gadget do? My auto awning motor stops when I stop holding the button down. So why that mod switch to power odd???
Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I'm not really sure I know what this thing does? I mean, my awning is activated by a switch already-and the motor stops when I stop pushing the button. What does this little gadget do? Cause a man can NEVER have enough remotes!
Power awning with remote mod - YouTube
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #14

Old coot--forgive my post. I now see the pricing info...

I'm now wondering if there r any users out there who have installed your mod on my brand/year/model coach?

2013 coachmen mirada 34bh
Old 03-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #15

Cool video turbo. Now I get it (duh!)
Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Old coot--forgive my post. I now see the pricing info...

I'm now wondering if there r any users out there who have installed your mod on my brand/year/model coach?

2013 coachmen mirada 34bh
If you have a Dometic/A&E awning, they will fit. I don't know about your particular mh, but I have sold 5 or 6 to mh owners and they work just fine. They store right on the arm with a bracket and do not move unless you unhook them. You can leave them in their stow position for highway travel or use your awning in the regular fashion or unlatch them and tie the awning down. Haven't had anyone have anything but complimentary things to say about them.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #17

No matter what you use I would roll the awning in if leaving the unit. It a storm did start and you were not there damage could happen to the awning or the trailer/MH. I have seen the damage the wind can do even if the awning is tied down. It only takes a few minutes to bring the awning in electric or manual. I watched an awning flip over the roof of the trailer last summer. The owner tied the ends of the awning to two picnic tables. We had a thunder storm go through, I tried to untie his straps but was not able. Next thing i see is the awning being bent over the roof and two picnic tables flying into the side of the trailer. If he had of put the awning in before leaving he could have saved several thousand dollars in damage.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
No matter what you use I would roll the awning in if leaving the unit. It a storm did start and you were not there damage could happen to the awning or the trailer/MH. I have seen the damage the wind can do even if the awning is tied down. It only takes a few minutes to bring the awning in electric or manual. I watched an awning flip over the roof of the trailer last summer. The owner tied the ends of the awning to two picnic tables. We had a thunder storm go through, I tried to untie his straps but was not able. Next thing i see is the awning being bent over the roof and two picnic tables flying into the side of the trailer. If he had of put the awning in before leaving he could have saved several thousand dollars in damage.
Question the wisdom of tying an awning down to picnic tables in the first place. Dirt screws that are screwed into the ground all the way to the handle held our awning down in FL in Jul for 3 days & nights of rain and winds of 25mph and only the matl fluttered. The slide topper awning made more noise than the 16' patio awning. If they forecast winds over 20-25 mph, we definitely put it up. Takes maybe a minute or two more with the attached poles. If I am going to put the awning up, I have the remote in my hand while I disengage the pole tiedowns so I can immediately retract it.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #19

Quote:

If you have a Dometic/A&E awning, they will fit. I don't know about your particular mh, but I have sold 5 or 6 to mh owners and they work just fine. They store right on the arm with a bracket and do not move unless you unhook them. You can leave them in their stow position for highway travel or use your awning in the regular fashion or unlatch them and tie the awning down. Haven't had anyone have anything but complimentary things to say about them.
Copy that. I'll check my manuals to see if mine is a dometic. And I'm at the end of my mod budge, so I may have to just put it off a while.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Copy that. I'll check my manuals to see if mine is a dometic. And I'm at the end of my mod budge, so I may have to just put it off a while.
More than likely, they will all be gone within a week or two and with the price of alum. tubing going higher and higher, I doubt that I will build anymore.