Old 03-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #1

How Fragile is my Awning?

We are enjoying our new 2013 Coachmen Mirada 35bh.. This is our first Coach but already we've taken it on several traips since December.

When we did our walk-through, the salesmen gave us a Big-Fat warning about the awning. He made it sound like if the wind was anything more than a puff, it would break.

So far we haven't really needed the shade cause even in Texas, it's not that warm yet! But the hot days are coming and we are booked for a week in Myrtle Beach, SC in August, so I know we'll want to use that awning.

Question--just how fragile is that thing anyway? If I tie the two outside corners down, that should stabilize it pretty well... Can those of you with experience give me an idea of what wind or gust-speed the awning can survive without damage? Ours is an electric one, if that matters, and 12' long.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Your salesman gave you the straight scoop. They are pretty flimsy and will bang and literally destroy themselves in anything but a mild breeze. I just happen to have the remedy for the problem.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...kit-35780.html

Old 03-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
One Happy Camper!

From my experience they are pretty strong. Our previous TT Awning was still in good shape after 18 years. There are tiedowns and anti flap devices you can get, but you will know when the wind is too much. Never ever leave the awning out when you leave the unit parked. Winds can pick up pretty quickly. As long as you are on site you will know when the wind is getting to the point it may cause damage. The dealers will almost always warn you to the extreme because they dont want you blaming them when you leave the awning out in a hurricane.

There may be a recommended wind speed but I don't know what it is. Others on here might.

Regards,

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPD View Post
From my experience they are pretty strong. Our previous TT Awning was still in good shape after 18 years. There are tiedowns and anti flap devices you can get, but you will know when the wind is too much. Never ever leave the awning out when you leave the unit parked. Winds can pick up pretty quickly. As long as you are on site you will know when the wind is getting to the point it may cause damage. The dealers will almost always warn you to the extreme because they dont want you blaming them when you leave the awning out in a hurricane.

There may be a recommended wind speed but I don't know what it is. Others on here might.

Regards,

SPPD
You no doubt had the manual awning and they are quite a bit stronger than the new Dometic/A&E power awnings.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
One Happy Camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You no doubt had the manual awning and they are quite a bit stronger than the new Dometic/A&E power awnings.
Ya, I guess I should have mentioned that little bit of pertinant information. I have not camped in my new unit yet so in my mind all awnings are manual lol.

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

then when your done with OC's little mod try this one !
lazy man's power awning mod .

Between the two of us we've got you hooked up with your new awning !
Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #7

IMHO while the new power awnings are convenient, they're just not as durable in the long run as the manual ones.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
then when your done with OC's little mod try this one !
lazy man's power awning mod .

Between the two of us we've got you hooked up with your new awning !
Again, bad as I hate to agree with you. The two do make a fantastic combination. Durable, functional and great conversation items. Happy, Happy, Happy!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by statgeek View Post
... Ours is an electric one, if that matters, and 12' long.
My old small 2005 trailer had a 14' manual awning. It could be tied down with the manual poles to be fairly sturdy.

My new 2013 trailer has a 21' electric-auto awning. It can't be easily tied down with the more fragile auto pole design.

Which.... is why I just bought OldCoot's tie-down kit. It's in shipment today, and I haven't had a chance to install it yet.

It's now more convenient for me to retract my electric-auto awning, and I usually do at night or if I'll be gone a bit or if the wind gets up. Still, I'm looking forward to the "also convenient" way his tie-down kit is designed. Plan to leave it out a little more, but still be able to stow quick if I must.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #10

Ok... Ill bite... How much for that mod kit?

And... It links to me like it attaches permanently to the awning near that thing that flips up when awning is retracted. I don't fully understand that "flip-up" piece does, but I know that it must flip up to travel. Does your mod interfere with that? I.e.msafe to travel with it connected?

statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote