Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 08:11 PM   #21

Speaking of wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Don't let the studs bother you. Like outside the box. You have to put the hole in only one place. Right in the middle of the hood. If you encounter a stud that is wood, you cover it in foil AC duct tape or thin metal or aluminum. Block off the surrounding cavity. Aluminum studs cant burn so what's the problem? If you have a fire that gets to that stud, that trailer is toast anyway. Cutting a hole is easy with a cut off wheel. Don't just run in there with a sawsall. If you find wire it's easy. A couple of j-boxes in the top and bottom of the cabinets and 2' of wire and your good to go. If your not mechanically inclined get a professional to do it. I'll be doing mine this summer.
Cavie, OP is unlikely to encounter wire at that height, 5-1/2 to 6 feet from the floor. But it raises a different question. The OP will need to get 12v there for the fan (and light) or the hood will be useless. He should probably plan in advance where he's going to get it from and how he's going to pull the wire.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #22

Ugh, I wonder why Apex skimmed on this item then. I had kind of narrowed my search down to the 193BHS model.
PNWCamper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Cavie, OP is unlikely to encounter wire at that height, 5-1/2 to 6 feet from the floor. But it raises a different question. The OP will need to get 12v there for the fan (and light) or the hood will be useless. He should probably plan in advance where he's going to get it from and how he's going to pull the wire.

Larry
If it's impossible to fish 12v wiring through walls, behind cupboards, appliances, then use plastic raceway that can be surface mounted and hidden in corners to bring the 12v from a nearby source.

Some creative thought usually overcomes that obstacle.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #24
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Don't let the studs bother you. Like outside the box. You have to put the hole in only one place. Right in the middle of the hood. If you encounter a stud that is wood, you cover it in foil AC duct tape or thin metal or aluminum. Block off the surrounding cavity. Aluminum studs cant burn so what's the problem? If you have a fire that gets to that stud, that trailer is toast anyway. Cutting a hole is easy with a cut off wheel. Don't just run in there with a sawsall. If you find wire it's easy. A couple of j-boxes in the top and bottom of the cabinets and 2' of wire and your good to go. If your not mechanically inclined get a professional to do it. I'll be doing mine this summer.
Actually Aluminium does burn and once it catches it is ferocious.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I’ve never heard of these. What is the concept of how they are supposed to work?

Bruce
It is commonly called a Fart fan. Just another way to get your money. Ask a plumber...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
A range hood that vents to the outside of the camper is a great thing. A range hood like I have, that doesn’t have an exhaust duct to the outside and only has a “filter” to capture any smoke and smells, is useless. This is just about the only complaint I have with my Windjammer. What were they thinking when they decided to go this route?

Bruce
X2
2016 Cardinal. Thinking about having one put in.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:51 PM   #27

Maybe consider another brand. Similar models, although most of these are stick-n-tin, include Jayco Jay Flight SLX 184BS (nice camper and almost identical floor plan as the Apex Nano 193BHS), Salem Cruise Lite/Wildwood XLite 230BHXL (longer then you may want, but you get a Murphy bed), and those without a slide such as the Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS and Hideout 175LHS. Laminated and stick-n-tin have their pluses and minuses. I personally like stick-n-tin TTs. A very similar floor plan in a laminated TT is the Winnebago Micro Minnie 2100BH, but it probably about $4k more than Apex. Take a look at the Jayco Jay Flight SLX 184BS- it has a lot going for it. Good luck.
jdhoskins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:51 PM   #28

Most of our cooking is done outside unless it is pouring outside. I wouldn't like not having a range hood.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
woodyrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:00 PM   #29

One other, if you are a Coachmen fan, is the Clipper / Viking 17BHS. Again, almost an identical floor plan as the Apex 193BHS and about $3k less expensive. I really cannot believe that the Clipper and the Viking has a range hood and the Apex does not. The lack of a range hood steered me away from the Apex 213RDS, which I was considering.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #30

I apologize for the 3rd post. I did not think about you being on the west coast. The Jayco model I mentioned, as well aa maybe a few other, are only available on the east coast.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:30 PM   #31

We looked at the similar clipper and Viking models but we liked how the Apex had a normal size (60x80) queen and thought the laminate plus aluminum construction would last longer. We had also been considering the 2100BH but it's heavier and more expensive, might give that one another look as well as some of your other suggestions. Thanks for the help.
PNWCamper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWCamper7 View Post
We've been considering getting a Apex Nano 193BHS and just noticed that it does not come with a stove hood and vent unlike some of it's competitors like the mini winnie 2100 BH or the Roo 19.

How important is a stove hood? Just open the window and you're fine or can condensation be an issue?

Thanks
I believe if you are going to cook inside you need a vent !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:12 AM   #33

Starcraft Avalon 18BHS. I understand they are a sister company of Jayso, but I may be wrong.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #34

Ours vents outside but we seldom cook anything inside the trailer
daniel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post

Larry
As an electrician I would not be concerned about 12 volts. Fridge, furnace are close by and easily accessible thru the cabinetry. My fridge, furnace, range hood and water heater controls are all on the same circuit in the kitchen.

A range hood is very useful in slowing down a grease fire even if not wired to electricity.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote