Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2018, 09:56 PM   #1

How much gas for fridge

We have a new-to-us Clipper 16B TT with the electric/LP gas RM2351 fridge. I've never traveled with the fridge running on gas but after reading many comments on this forum I may try it next time. Right now our trips are typically 3-4 hours from home to campsite. Can anyone give me any feel for how much gas might be used by the fridge during that time. If I start at half a tank will I be down to a quarter by the time I set up and switch to electric? Will I always need to have a 2nd tank available just in case? How do I gauge that in general. I've never run the fridge on gas yet, typically just use an ice chest/cooler if electric is not available. We've only been out 3 times with this camper so far.

Thanks for your input.
Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:15 PM   #2

Not a lot.

Found this estimate online.... "It is not easy to gauge how much propane your refrigerator will consume. But if it is 12 cubic feet fridge, then it can consume approximately 1.5 pounds of propane on a daily basis. With this, the energy of about 1,400 British Thermal Units (BTU) is produced every hour."

Since most rv fridges are around 6-7 cubic feet, 1.5 pounds of propane should last a couple of days and most propane tanks are around 20 pounds.

The limiting factor is the electronic ignition that runs on battery power. When the rig is hooked up to your tow vehicle, that shouldn't be a problem.

Basically, you should not need another propane tank unless you're running heat and hot water on propane. Make certain your hot water is off when you're towing.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:39 AM   #3

You should be able to go well over a week on a single 20 lb bottle even in the hottest temps.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #4

Great info. That helps. Thank you both.
Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:08 AM   #5

I have been running my fridge on every road trip for well over 10 years. I ha e never run dry a 20 lb propane tank the entire season. We camp with full hook ups 95 % of the time and take at least 7, one week trips a year. The longest trips are about 10 hour drives. Once you plug in to electric it converts back to it.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #6

Negligible. I'm a full-time boondocker, and a 20 lb cylinder lasts me 12 days with cooking, water heater, refrigerator and a half hour of furnace each morning. Lasts longer if I don't need the furnace.

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #7

10 hours/lb. of propane

We have a Dometic model RM 2551 (not sure of the capacity). After pre-cooling it at home with electricity, it stayed nice and frosty at a rate of 1/10 lb. of propane per hour, or ten hours on a lb. of gas. This was just a one-time test, and I imagine the starting temp. of the contents and how full it is would be a factor. We would rarely be away from shore power for more than 8 hours in any case.

For what it's worth...
Old 09-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #8

DW and I have been full timers for 5 years. In our previous TT that we owned for 4 years we had a 12 cu/ft Dometic refer. The electric side quit within the first year so we ran it exclusively on propane 24/7/365. During the summer when we used propane for only cooking and occasionally hot water we would use less than two 30 lb tanks from Mid may to mid October.
10Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #9

We once filled up the propane tank on our Sunseeker in Montana and spent about 10 days driving back to home in South Carolina. In addition to the road time, we spent 3 or 4 days and nights without hookups. We used less than 10 pounds of propane.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #10

Those friges are designed to be run on propane while traveling,,on purpose. Rarely have I seen one "flame out" while traveling.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Even better idea. If you are going only 4 hours, and pre-chill your fridge then fill it with chilled food, won't it stay cold for 4 hours? I know my home fridge would if I didn't open the door, even with power off.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, gas