Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
i-beam dimensions

We have a 2 month old 292BHDS Freedom Express travel trailer. Like a few others, we have had failure of our leaf springs. I am pretty confident there will be no issue getting them repaired, but I am looking at what the next weakest link in the system is. I am hoping to upgrade our 3500# axle assemblies to 4400#, which has made me question frame strength. I never intend to overload our 7600#GVWR, so I don't want the weight police after me. But do we have a minimum spec frame?

It looks pretty spindly, 6X2 welded I beam (measure 6.5", about 1/8" gauge.) The salesman figures we have the same i-beams as the larger units, so it is likely plenty strong for our load. But I know other manufacturers have deeper beams for trailer this weight. If any folks with a larger Coachmen (like a 31 or greater) could take a tape measure to their frame, I'd appreciate it. My guess is we are at the top weight for this frame, and need to be awfully careful on tight corners/bumps to avoid twisting the frame or cracking at the cross members. But if heavier units are sitting on the same frame I will be more comfortable with our relative strength.

pomocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
We've had ours for a year and I haven't seen any issues with my frame and I've made some pretty tight turns. Having said that , I'm going to take a closer look once I get it out of storage.
I had sagging leaf springs just after 4 months of use and had them swapped with larger 2500lbs springs under warranty. My dealer had to fight a bit with Lippert to get them to re-imburse him, but I had a CAT scale report that clearly indicated I wasn't overloaded like they where implying. So they did finally pay for it.

2012 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
2009 Ford F250 Super Duty CC 6.8L 4.10
Husky Centreline WDH w/Sway Control
2013 Nights Booked: 38
2013 Nights Camped: 40
pwrplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
I have a 2011 palomino sabre 32bhok-6 that is 36' long
my I-beam is 10" top to bottom with 2 3/4'" top and bottom flanges and it is not a welded I-beam.

my gvwr is 13,896 lbs And I have 2 6,000 lb axles

Hopfully this helps.

TURBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
daydreaming about camping
you should be able to find some frame information on the frame itself. Like most parts in these trailers it is a component. There may be a sticker on the frame rail, typically on the passenger side, but either side, toward the front with some information. Also - on the A frame near the coupler there may be frame info stamped. I know mine says it is rated for 14K GVWR. Never going there!

I would be surprised if your frame is rated less than 10K with 6 inch I beams.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote