Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

I think we've found a winner!

After much searching and debating, I think we have finally found a trailer we like. We're pretty excited about it!

Coachmen RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes

Now all we have to do is get a paying job, get the ag exemption on our property, save a little money, then buy!

Thoughts? Opinions? Anybody have any experience with these things that you'd like to share?

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4
2017 Heritage Glen QBUD312
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Always Learning

I'd want to verify that, with the slides in, that you can get to the bathroom and maybe even bedroom.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #3

Yup. We hafta see one in person.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4
2017 Heritage Glen QBUD312
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'd want to verify that, with the slides in, that you can get to the bathroom and maybe even bedroom.
The bedroom wouldn't be an issue, as it has an outside entry, and with only a single slide, you could easily just bump it out enough to open bathroom door.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Shoot...I was just at my dealer yesterday buying goopie sealant for my roof and I did peak inside some new Forest Rivers but didn't look inside the Apex.

I like some of the new things I saw on the newbies...they are spacing those with dual-tires to be wider apart and they've changed the hard-plastic shower doors from the pull-out to ones that are rounded and slide on the track...very neat! Also, some now have stainless steel sinks and they're expanding the dinette to be much larger and more rounded, not square.

It, also, looks like they are moving away from those little hydraulic things that hold open the RV doors. We have mixed emotions on ours, too...when it's windy it will swing back and forth which is annoying.

The only negative comment on the new stuff are the windows...it seems they are getting smaller which I guess saves money on production costs but isn't good when you own the thing...the bigger the window the better!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #6

Looks very similar to our 26RKS. You'll love the rear kitchen!! Awesome for ease in handing food out the door. With our slide in, there is still easy passage into the bathroom & to the bedroom. Congrats!

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Magee
Quote:
And have access to refrigerator and any other part of kitchen you might need. I have to climb over counter in my older FR 5th wheel to get to fridge. And forget the rest of kitchen.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:46 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
The only negative comment on the new stuff are the windows...it seems they are getting smaller which I guess saves money on production costs but isn't good when you own the thing...the bigger the window the better!
Something to think about; the bigger the window; the bigger the hole in the camper wall. The bigger the hole in the camper wall; less structure to stiffen the camper shell. The more flexible the shell; the more likely to see wall cracks at the corners of penetrations due to flex at higher gross weights.

The result is a camper with a lower GVWR than one with stiffer walls.
Large slide out penetrations can have similar issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3065W Crack.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	89004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bulldozerwork059.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	89005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amenta_Near View.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	89006  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:43 PM   #9

Quote:
I have the same floorplan in my Freedom Express. Its tight, but I can open the door and get into the bathroom with the slide in. Once past the end of the slide, access to the bedroom is fine. I can even load my wardrobe with the slide in. I'm not sure if the Apex has the same dimensions but my guess is that it is basically the same trailer.

Its a great floor plan and very roomy with the slide out.

Good luck!

Laura
Old 09-20-2015, 01:55 AM   #10

As others have commented, plan looks about the same as our 246RKS Freedom Express. Access to bedroom and bathroom with slide in is a bit tight, but we manage fine. We like being able to leave table in up position during travel so we can stop on road and have lunch. Silverware drawer will not pull out when slide is in, so either plan ahead or be prepared to move slide out a bit to access drawer. Large wardrobe in slide is great! Not crazy about high location of TV and our antenna pulls in stations from only about 30 miles away, so very weak. Trailer pulls fine, though -- better than our previous Rockwood. Also, front exterior storage compartment is larger than on our previous Rockwood. Long-term sitting on sofa is a bit uncomfortable -- feels like a pad on plywood -- and bed is a bit uncomfortable as well. Most folks do something with bed -- new mattress, padding, etc. Don't know how these things would be on your Apex; sofa in picture on link you sent looks better than our sofa. Bedroom door on your link also a plus; our 246 simply has a curtain. Sink location a bit different, but essentially the same.

Overall, we're happy with our choice.
SKOM is offline   Reply With Quote