Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
So the consensus is that the US water system is unsafe and shouldn't be trusted? I'm from Canada and it's something most wouldn't even consider. What do you do when your away from home and staying at a hotel. How do you avoid drinking the water? When you go to a restaurant do you avoid having a glass of water?
Post like this are just "bait" we choose to use a filter ... it is as simple as that ... there is no major concern but there are places where there has been a problem .... When threads start to move in this direction I move on ... Happy Camping Everyone
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
Old 08-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
Post like this are just "bait" we choose to use a filter ... it is as simple as that ... there is no major concern but there are places where there has been a problem .... When threads start to move in this direction I move on ... Happy Camping Everyone
It's a legitimate question. If everyone is so concerned about drinking the water and that if must be filtered what do you do when your traveling without the RV? You can't decide that I must use a filter with my RV but the other six months of the year when away from home I'll be OK.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #83
Canadian Member

Quote:
It's a legitimate question. If everyone is so concerned about drinking the water and that if must be filtered what do you do when your traveling without the RV? You can't decide that I must use a filter with my RV but the other six months of the year when away from home I'll be OK.
When we travel without the RV, you’re right we really can’t use a water filter. All we can do is to be to careful where we eat and try to avoid questionable places and questionable water sources.

When we do travel with our RV, we can employ a water filter and we choose to use one. Neither is wrong but there’s no denying that using one - especially a high quality 0.5 micron filter like we use - is safer. That’s especially true when you stay at a shabby private campground.

It’s really about reducing risk and the insurance of a good filter when we’re RVing.

Your profile says you’re from Kenora, ON so I’m sure you know what happened in Walkerton in 2000. The folks there trusted their city water provider and tragically seven people died and many, many (estimates are around 2300) people got sick.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Old 08-03-2019, 07:20 PM   #84

As society has become more risk informed, it has become more risk averse. Even when it makes no sense.

Mostly because society doesn't really understand risk. Risk is probability x consequences. The public zeros in on consequences and has no clue regarding probability.

That's why lotteries make so much $$.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 08-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #85

I've been drinking water from a garden hose, construction water jugs and never bottle water for over 50 yrs. I mainly drink beer when camping, so I don't worry about the water....
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
Old 08-03-2019, 07:42 PM   #86
Site Team

Quote:
I wouldn't say it's a consensus. You have to realize that the US population, has become water snobs. And they ignore the huge waste issue that plastic water bottles are causing.

I have been camping in campgrounds, West of the Mississippi, for over 30 years.
Never once have there been any foul or bacteria-ridden water.
Never have gotten sick from campground water.
Never heard of anyone at those campgrounds, get sick or complain about the water.
Never seen any signs warning about bad campground water.
Maybe water in the West is way better. I don't know since I've never been to the East half of the country.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 08-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #87

We have traveled Australia, New Zealand, Europe, China, and New Zealand all using bottled water. We have been lucky also!!! Lahsa Tibet also! bottled water!
Old 08-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by paverdave View Post
I've been drinking water from a garden hose, construction water jugs and never bottle water for over 50 yrs. I mainly drink beer when camping, so I don't worry about the water....
Perfect! Great response to this non-problem thread. In fact, it's time to crack open another cold one right now!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 08-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #89
waybeck2018

We use CG water only for DW hot tea, my coffee and dish washing and showers. If any smell, settlement, etc we go to our generous supply of bottled water for tea and coffee. If really dubious, we skip the showers and eat on paper plates. Only once has that been necessary.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
Old 08-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
As society has become more risk informed, it has become more risk averse. Even when it makes no sense.

Mostly because society doesn't really understand risk. Risk is probability x consequences. The public zeros in on consequences and has no clue regarding probability.

That's why lotteries make so much $$.
I think that explains.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #91

Quote:
Im just a bit curious.................. Why do you seem to feel the necessity to convince those who use filters that they are either wasting their money and/or giving in to unreasonable fears?

Are we all some sort of inferior unter menchen who do not measure up to your standards?

Do as you wish, however belittling others who do not agree with you is a particularly ineffectual technique if your goal is to convince them that your positions are the only correct ones.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:43 PM   #92

All water sources have fed. state and local standards to meet, including bagged ice. I agree, it’s a persons choice to use a filter. People will complain about the cost of milk, bread, gas, etc. and yet spend good money on an unnecessary water filter.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Im just a bit curious.................. Why do you seem to feel the necessity to convince those who use filters that they are either wasting their money and/or giving in to unreasonable fears?

Are we all some sort of inferior unter menchen who do not measure up to your standards?

Do as you wish, however belittling others who do not agree with you is a particularly ineffectual technique if your goal is to convince them that your positions are the only correct ones.
Why do you to make this a personal attack? I wasn't belittling anyone. I'm just trying to make people think a little deeper.

Anyhow I got the answer I needed so I'm out of here.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:53 PM   #94

I see a lot of people using 'bottled water'.... 'bottled water' can also be contaminated.

https://www.consumerreports.org/wate...unsafe-levels/

https://www.consumerreports.org/wate...ality-reports/

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Old 08-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #95

If it is on the internet it must be true..........................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 08-03-2019, 10:16 PM   #96

I personally like using a water filter to TRY to remove some of the sediment crude that can foul up faucets. We use this only basically for dishwashing and showering. I do brush my teeth and take my pills with it. Otherwise we use bottled water for drinking on the road with or without the RV and at home. I also have a water filter at home to TRY to remove some of the sediment crude (mostly sand/dirt and rust particles) from my 640' well with pump at about 620'. When I change the filter it is always chucked full of sediment. Otherwise I would always have to clean out the faucets.

The DW is more susceptible to illness' then I am. As a kid, I grew up on a farm drinking from a garden hose or out at the barn yard facet. The water was always clean and cold, quite refreshing on a hot sweaty day. Never worried about the safety as long as it was clear and not rusty color.

Also I remember when we did corn shelling or haying jobs and dinner was ready for the crew by the farmers wife we would wash in a wash basin that would get refreshed once it got fairly dirty. Wouldn't do that today would you!

I just ordered a 4-pack of the Camco blue filters from Amazon. I have always been concerned about the health of the filter when not using it. These have KDF which is suppose to prevent bacteria when not using it. Price was reasonable from what would pay at an RV dealer.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
Old 08-03-2019, 10:38 PM   #97

Please enlighten me. When is the last time anyone on this website heard credible reports about commercially available, bottled water being "contaminated"??

I agree that the use of commercial bottled water is not the best solution to certain other options, but where, when, who ever suffered hardship from so-called "contaminated" bottled water????
Old 08-04-2019, 12:04 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORKLIFMAN View Post
All well said, it is the law that requires municipalities, to make sure the water is potable,,,, but that was before , using fracking, as a way to drain the earth of it's resources. Flint ,MI has been killing their citizens for years, with polluted drinking water.... Along with other states that allow, fracking. I trust our water supply here as it comes from the Sierras. But less than 20 miles from here they draw their water from the bay.... Which has several factories along the shores in the delta, no thank you! If you believe every thing your told, that it is clean and safe. Then by all means go ahead and drink the kool-aid !
Ummm...Flint was caused by "Old Infrastructure" "Old Pipes". Not by fracking or anything like that. Let's stay with facts. Some are gonna use filters...some aren't. I never have, but if you do...fine. That's what you do and I do what I do.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:35 AM   #99
Canadian Member

The OP’s original question was, “So why is a filter a good idea?”

My answer is, a filter does at least 3 things for you depending on the quality of filter your buy:
- eliminates small particles from getting into your RV’s water system
- improves the taste of the water
- reduces the risk of contaminants in your water

Whether you decide to use them or not, the cost of filters shouldn’t be a factor. We use a single, high quality filter per year at a cost of $20 - $30. That’s less than the cost of lunch at a restaurant for my family. I agree the risk of contamination is low but a filter is cheap insurance. For me, even if the water is 100% safe, its worth that cost to improve the taste of the water and keep sand particles out of my water system.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Old 08-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #100

piece of mine is a great thing so is common sense....
Closed Thread

Tags
water, water filter