Old 06-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #1

Junk: 2018 Coachmen Apex Nano 191RBS

I purchased in January 2018 Coachmen Apex Nano 191RBS trailer. Prior to this one I had a little unique tent style trailer that I found to be difficult to set up do to health reasons So I did my research to find a trailer that could tow with my 2017 Chevy Colorado Diesel. The dealership where I purchased the previous mentioned trailer offered me a good trade in amount being it was only a year old. So they offered me one but the interior seemed to be too cramped so I went with the one with the slide out. When I took delivery they said I would to bring it back when they got a new awning something they noticed in prepping it. Didn't think much about that at the time. I was just happy to get what I thought would me an easy trailer to use Things changed with in the first seven months of using it. After our third trip I get home start unpack things and noticed several defects in the quality. A lot of trim was coming apart panels incorrectly installed a shelf stapled on a panel on the screen door was wrong size and it had rust all over the frame and axle. So I called to make an appointment and the earliest I could get into the shop was September. So I waited and decided to make plans for another camping trip because I figured it wouldn't take them too long to fix. Well 1 1/2 months later and cancelling that trip I get it back. Then fast forward to June 2019 our 4th trip with our trailer. The reason there is a large gap between is my wife had surgery. We went camping not far from our house to a State Park. When we got there everything was going fine until we went to bed and I noticed I wasn't comfortable in the bed so I took the dinette and made it into another bed. Slept really good. I went to get up the next morning and boom. I'm sitting on the floor. The supports that hold the table in bed mode broke off. After looking on how they were attached I realized what sort of piece of junk this trailer is getting to be. Last year when I noticed the rust they painted over it. Well it is back and a lot worse. I also have another issue with the frame outriggers that support the body. Ones behind the tires are now bent. I'm not sure how they got bent but I think they were hit by the tire when I went over a crest in a side street. The trailer bounced as I went over. I wasn't going too fast because I had just left the light. So now we are planning another trip in less than wo weeks and I have to figure how to bend them back. To avoid a tire failure or worse. This trailer is nothing but junk. When I get it paid for it is going away. Maybe I get another hardsided pop up.

RZ406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZ406 View Post
I purchased in January 2018 Coachmen Apex Nano 191RBS trailer. Prior to this one I had a little unique tent style trailer that I found to be difficult to set up do to health reasons So I did my research to find a trailer that could tow with my 2017 Chevy Colorado Diesel. The dealership where I purchased the previous mentioned trailer offered me a good trade in amount being it was only a year old. So they offered me one but the interior seemed to be too cramped so I went with the one with the slide out. When I took delivery they said I would to bring it back when they got a new awning something they noticed in prepping it. Didn't think much about that at the time. I was just happy to get what I thought would me an easy trailer to use Things changed with in the first seven months of using it. After our third trip I get home start unpack things and noticed several defects in the quality. A lot of trim was coming apart panels incorrectly installed a shelf stapled on a panel on the screen door was wrong size and it had rust all over the frame and axle. So I called to make an appointment and the earliest I could get into the shop was September. So I waited and decided to make plans for another camping trip because I figured it wouldn't take them too long to fix. Well 1 1/2 months later and cancelling that trip I get it back. Then fast forward to June 2019 our 4th trip with our trailer. The reason there is a large gap between is my wife had surgery. We went camping not far from our house to a State Park. When we got there everything was going fine until we went to bed and I noticed I wasn't comfortable in the bed so I took the dinette and made it into another bed. Slept really good. I went to get up the next morning and boom. I'm sitting on the floor. The supports that hold the table in bed mode broke off. After looking on how they were attached I realized what sort of piece of junk this trailer is getting to be. Last year when I noticed the rust they painted over it. Well it is back and a lot worse. I also have another issue with the frame outriggers that support the body. Ones behind the tires are now bent. I'm not sure how they got bent but I think they were hit by the tire when I went over a crest in a side street. The trailer bounced as I went over. I wasn't going too fast because I had just left the light. So now we are planning another trip in less than wo weeks and I have to figure how to bend them back. To avoid a tire failure or worse. This trailer is nothing but junk. When I get it paid for it is going away. Maybe I get another hardsided pop up.
Sorry to hear of all your problems. This is a forum of owners and, as it says at the bottom of our webpages, "This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site." The reason I say this is ---- if you haven't contacted your dealership, do so. If you haven't contacted Coachmen, do so.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

It was a tough read with sentence after sentence in one big paragraph.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:26 PM   #4

Outriggers

On our 2018 Coachmen 191RBS the frame outriggers positioned at both in front and behind the tires are installed wrong. When we came home from an overnight camping trip we hit are large bump causing the trailer to bounce. After inspecting for any possible damage I noticed the outriggers by the tires got bent when the tires made contact with them. Coachmen said that the trailer may have been overloaded. It wasn't overloaded because there was no water in the tanks and only had about 150 pounds of things inside. So my suggestion of any other owners of this model trailer needs to see if the outriggers on their trailer is done the same. I was lucky I didn't have a blow out when it happened. I contacted the manufacturer of the frame but all they could offer was to send two of the outriggers when I need four of them. The outriggers were put on wrong at the four places (two on each side) by the tires. They are angle iron with the verticle part facing the tires.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:39 PM   #5

Not sure what an outrigger on a trailer are. Are you talking about the stabilizers??? A picture of the damage and how there were installed would help.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:46 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Not sure what an outrigger on a trailer are. Are you talking about the stabilizers??? A picture of the damage and how there were installed would help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4571.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	210185

Itís part of the frame. Coachmanís answer likely came from Lippert and thatís their stock answer anytime frame damage occurs. Blame it on the owner, not the crappy frames these things are built on.

That said, OP, have you ever weighed your rig?
Old 07-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #7

Thanks never heard them called that before.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:29 AM   #8

Junk

I saw a message that I should contact the dealership and the manufacturers. Well I've done all of the above. I'm at the point of getting it paid off then after the first of next year when there are clearance sales and look for another brand and type of trailer as I mentioned in another post an A Frame one.The dealership isn't talking to me the manufacturer isn't doing anything more and the frame manufacturer wants me to take it in to a welder to get it fixed. All I've done with it is to make it safer until I either get it fixed or traded in.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:44 PM   #9

Rockwood Hardside A Frame

In my current trailer we had the dealership change out the toilet for a residential one. My question if I were to get one that had the shower in it can you install a toilet riser on the toilet shower combo? Does anyone know if they one for it?
Old 07-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #10

Purchased my trailer in Feb 2018. One of the first things I did was to take my pneumatic gun and reinforce the all the panels and add 1 x 2 in the interior places that I thought needed a little more heft. Thought on the over all construction is a bit disappointing but given that it cost me under $20K I figure it was to be expected.
I put a foam topper (4 inch) on the original mattress which helped a lot. I did try converting the dinette to a bed with no issues.
Take a peak at the straps that hold your freshwater tank. The screws that hold the straps rotted away. The slide was eating into the rubber seals and needed to be realigned by the dealer. This week's issue is the awning. It seems a bit sluggish retracting whether on shore power or battery. Maybe the contacts in the switch? I find the shower basically useless so have been using the campsite facilities. I'll be crawling around underneath checking the outriggers for issues. PS. the wires the the trailer brakes were also hanging pretty low and needed to be zip tied. Over all pretty crappy craftsmanship.

JoeNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen