Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2016, 10:46 PM   #1

Just bought a 2016 Clipper 17FQ today.......

Really liked this little unit so I bought one today. Will be picking it up in a couple of weeks, gives me time to wire my TV with a brake controller.

Any tips on things to look for when I pick it up? Any suggestions in general?

Thanks!
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:43 AM   #2
I go RV'ing not Camping

just take your time on the pdi....check everything and run every appliance and system...once you sign the papers it is much harder to get things fixed...make the dealership fix everything before you give them your money.....other than that enjoy your new trailer!!

oh and welcome to the forum
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:18 AM   #3

Thanks - I made a large deposit today and had planned on paying the rest in full this coming week and then pick it up when I get back in town in a couple of weeks but based on your advice and others I've found searching this forum I'm going to tell them that I'll wait until I've been able to do the PDI before paying in full.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:20 AM   #4
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
Thanks - I made a large deposit today and had planned on paying the rest in full this coming week and then pick it up when I get back in town in a couple of weeks but based on your advice and others I've found searching this forum I'm going to tell them that I'll wait until I've been able to do the PDI before paying in full.
Now you are cooking with fire

Good luck on your purchase
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:46 AM   #5

What will I need to get in order to hookup to electric/water/sewer connections at full hookup sites?
Old 02-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #6

you might want a 30 amp extension cord. Depends on types of places you camp, you may never need it or need it often. A quality sewer hose such as Rhino. RV water hose ,in-line water filter and regulator. All of these can be bought at most Walmarts. Surge protector is a good idea, but don't go cheap on this. Progressive EMS series is by far the best protection available. If your an Amazon shopper, they have everything you will ever need.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #7

Love my Viking 17FQ

I think the clipper 17 FQ is the same as my Viking 17 FG. Fantastic rig for the $$ and size. We use a Toyota Sienna as the tow vehicle with no problems. The only issue we had with the trailer was the thermometer on the thermostat always pointed to 90. As we live in Florida, it probably was 90 in the unit when we picked it up. Our dealer was a way away from home so I took it to the nearest Camping World to have it changed out. It took them a couple of weeks to get the warranty work ok'ed. Other than that, just general maintenance on the unit and it's always ready to go. The only thing I wish it had is a two bottle LP gas system but i have to watch my weight. Enjoy, for the size these are great units!
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #8

trailer hints

Forgot im my last reply, if you're new to RV'ing, there are tons of hints and explanations about electrical hookups, water hookups, backing up units, etc. on Youtube. I learned a lot on there videos!
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:44 PM   #9

Thay was our first travel trailer. It's a great unit. Had some minor issues as all trailers do. The electrical line thay comes with it is long enough for campgrounds. Wheel chocks, fresh water hose, 20', sewer hose. Hose support like centipede. Water pressure regulator, water filter, spare hose for black/grey water flush, toilet wand, surge protection, sway control for trailer and beer. Enjoy!
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #10

Thanks for the tips! I'll be pulling it with a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with tow package rated at 3500lbs towing / 350lbs tongue weight. Other vehicles with the same 3.6L engine are rated much higher but the Wrangler is not.

I've talked with other Jeep owners who have pulled this same trailer and they say it does just fine. We'll see; I essentially destroyed the drive train of a Suburban towing a 6,000lb cabin cruiser for several years so I'm curious to see how the Jeep does with the 17FQ.

I agree about the value - I've been researching TT's for over six months now and had it down to a handful that met my towing specs and personal preferences.

Then I ran into a Jeep owner who bought the 17FQ. This weekend at the Austin RV Expo I was able to compare the 17FQ to the ones on my list. They also had the 17FQ for the lowest price I've seen anywhere and much, much less than the ones I was considering so I threw away my list and bought one.

We're really looking forward to it.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #11

That's hilarious! We bought our clipper while looking for a pop up camper in our 2014 jeep jk with tow package. I had 35" tires which made me lose gear ratio. It did ok but it was a handful here in hilly Pennsylvania.
Long story short I now have a ram 2500 deisel and a 30' camper. Miss my jeep every day. You'll do fine with it. Sway control and weight distribution hitch is key!
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:16 AM   #12

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

We love our 17FQ especially the ability to get out of the bed without having to climb over your bed mate. Do a search on this site for great suggestions & modifications other 17FQ owners have made. One of the easiest and most practical is replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs. Really cuts down on the wattage draw and cuts heat generation.

Your reduced towing capacity on the Jeep is most likely due to it's shorter wheelbase. I had a Wrangler and didn't like to have too much weight behind me. We've got a Nissan Frontier and even with a 6K tow rating it shifts a lot going over the mountain passes (10 - 12K feet) in our area.

Can't wait for our first trip this year. Hope to be out in Moab & Canyonlands area in a few weeks.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote