Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #21

More mods to my 17FQ

Like several others I've added a drawer above the furnace. After the furnace runs I've noticed the inside of the cabinet gets warm. Wanting to let this trapped heat escape into the living space I've added an opening in the side of the cabinet covered with a decorative grate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160306_135230.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	101943

The other quick mod was something that should have come this way from the factory. I installed a BBQ spark igniter into the stove.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160313_151335.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	101944

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Plata View View Post
Like several others I've added a drawer above the furnace. After the furnace runs I've noticed the inside of the cabinet gets warm. Wanting to let this trapped heat escape into the living space I've added an opening in the side of the cabinet covered with a decorative grate.

Attachment 101943

The other quick mod was something that should have come this way from the factory. I installed a BBQ spark igniter into the stove.

Attachment 101944
I like both those ideas - the vent to the cabinet and the igniter for the stove. Funny thing about the stove, it's almost exactly like the alcohol/electric version I had in a cabin cruiser. Except that one came with an igniter and a tempered/smoked glass cover. Come to think of it, it also had electric elements. So it was a combo unit.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
I would think the longer shackles would induce some sway or instability.might be,and probably am,wrong. Nice unit and some nice mods.
You could be right. I'm not sure what effect raising the frame/body above the springs would have versus moving the axle under them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
The shackles are less expensive and can be removed if they don't work, which is not as easy to do if you weld new saddles and flip the axles. I would try the shackles and do some testing under different conditions.
That's what I'm thinking. An hour of work and a nice test drive would do it. If any adverse effects noted the mod is easily undone.

I just can't get over those tiny 13" wheels and tires.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #24

The new 15" tires and wheels came in as well as the leaf spring shackle lift kit so I decided to go ahead and get them put on.

After mounting the wheels/tires I realized I won't need the lift kit - I've got a good amount of clearance all around the tire between it and the wheel well. Gave me a good 2" of lift as well.

So no need to flip the axle or install the shackle lift. I'm going to keep on eye on it and make sure there isn't any rubbing or bottoming out but so far it's working great. And I swear it seems like it's easier to pull with the bigger wheels and tires. I'm glad to have gotten rid of those little 13" ones that were only rated at 1710# each. Not sure how they get away with rating the trailer itself at over 3500# when the tires are maxed at #3420.

But these new ones are 2100# and exceed the 3500# axle rating. I feel better now.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #25

Nice work. Who did you go through for the tires & wheels?

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #26

Must be something different about your 17FQ than ours because there was no way there was enough clearance for the 15" without flipping the axle. Barely had 1/2" between the tire and support.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Plata View View Post
Nice work. Who did you go through for the tires & wheels?
etrailer.com - with free shipping these came out to be a pretty good deal:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...a/AM32424.html
Old 03-24-2016, 10:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
Must be something different about your 17FQ than ours because there was no way there was enough clearance for the 15" without flipping the axle. Barely had 1/2" between the tire and support.
Must be - mine is a 2016 model. I removed those cheap looking plastic fender flares, but with or without them I do have a good 2-3" of clearance all around the 15" tire and wheel.

Surprised me as well, because I ordered a shackle lift kit and fully intended on installing it. But once I mounted the wheels and tires and saw how much clearance I still had, I put some blue painters tape up inside the narrowest spots and took it for a test pull and even attacked a few speed bumps on purpose and it never came close to rubbing the wheel well.

That picture I posted has some deep shadows so it's hard to see the wheel area. I'll take another tomorrow in better light and closer up so you can see how much clearance there is.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #29

Ours is a 2016 also. Must be some small difference in the way the supports were installed.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:25 PM   #30

Very similar to our setup, except ours is a Cherokee Wolf Pup 16FQ.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
2016 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16FQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dstacy969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
Ours is a 2016 also. Must be some small difference in the way the supports were installed.
I'll bet you could get a shackle lift kit (around $25) and replace the rear shackles for enough clearance to fit 15" wheels/tires for better handling and improved clearance.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:32 PM   #32

Already flipped the axle, it was easy. Completed it in less than 4 hours doing all the work without any help. Plenty of clearance now for the 15" tires.

I had thought about longer shackles but the geometry was all wrong, it would have ended up breaking a spring or some other damage. Flipping the axle is the only way to do it an maintain proper function of the suspension.