Old 03-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #1

Just picked up our 17FQ

PDI went pretty well, needed a few gaps sealed up and a couple of cabinet panels secured but other than that things were in pretty good order.

Very disappointed with the Jeep's tow performance though. I know it's not a tow vehicle but the trailer gross is only 2800 vs. the Jeep max tow package rated for 3500. On the 20 mile trip home with a stiff headwind and those fat tires it was screaming 3500rpm at 60-65 (5th of 6 gears) and would often shift down to 4th on grade (4500rpm).

Around town it was doing fine so I put the stock wheels/tires back on today and am going to try the same highway route tomorrow with little to no headwind.

If anything it will give me an excuse to buy a pickup.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #2

Our 2015 Nissian Frontier has a V6 and is rated to tow 6,000 lbs. But going over mountain passes (10k - 12k feet) it's constantly downshifting and running around 45MPH.
I suspect at lower elevations and flat terrain would be just fine.

We used to have a '05 TJ with a 2,500 lb tow rating. It pulled a small pop-up OK but nothing more.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:42 PM   #3

I posted on the other thread, but do you know what gearing you have on your JKU? Is it a Rubicon?
Old 03-10-2016, 12:16 AM   #4

It's a Sport Unlimited with 3.73 gears.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
It's a Sport Unlimited with 3.73 gears.
Yeah, unfortunately, that gearing is not helping the towing. But instead of buying another vehicle, you can always change the gearing, which would be a lot cheaper.

Of course, the gearing change would not be so good on the fwy when not towing.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by proride View Post
Yeah, unfortunately, that gearing is not helping the towing. But instead of buying another vehicle, you can always change the gearing, which would be a lot cheaper.

Of course, the gearing change would not be so good on the fwy when not towing.
Very true. I knew the JKU wouldn't make for a serious TV when I bought it last summer, it's really more of a toy for me. Top off, doors off, soft top on, hard top on, that sort of thing. Figured if I wanted to tow anything more than a couple of jet skis on a regular basis I'd need more.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #7

One of the things I have found with my F350 when towing my car hauler loaded is at 65 I tend to down shift on hills, if I keep the speed @ 60 the transmission doesn't downshift as often. Plus after reading the forum and research I don't need to tow any faster given the limitations on trailer tires. Nice color match with the jeep and trailer.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #8

I have a 2007 GMC Sierra that I bought used in '08, and it's a great truck. It has the 5.3L V8 and it pulls my 17FQ without any problems. I also have a '13 JKU which is my offroad toy, but the gearing is even worse than yours, as it only has the 3.21. Luckily, it still handles all the trails I want to do without much issues, but I would not want to try and tow anything over 1000 pounds with it.

As far as the trailer, like some others, I put in a utensil drawer right on top of the heater, plus added a couple of drawers under the bed. My wife really loves the utensil drawer. I also have a portable 80w solar panel, and it really works well in keeping the battery topped off. Did change all the bulbs to LEDs and that really helped with the power draw. So far, I hardly have had to use my portable generator to charge the battery. I only use it if I need the microwave or AC.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
One of the things I have found with my F350 when towing my car hauler loaded is at 65 I tend to down shift on hills, if I keep the speed @ 60 the transmission doesn't downshift as often. Plus after reading the forum and research I don't need to tow any faster given the limitations on trailer tires. Nice color match with the jeep and trailer.
Very true - I'm in no hurry when I'm towing and would prefer to take secondary roads and stay off the interstate. Hate to be "that guy" that everyone is lining up behind to pass but 55-60 mph is just fine with me.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I agree with the towing speed. I also read all the info on trailer tires and I also keep my top speed to 60. On the fwy if the traffic is light, I just set the cruise at 60 and go with that.