Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #1

Just picked up our 17FQ

PDI went pretty well, needed a few gaps sealed up and a couple of cabinet panels secured but other than that things were in pretty good order.

Very disappointed with the Jeep's tow performance though. I know it's not a tow vehicle but the trailer gross is only 2800 vs. the Jeep max tow package rated for 3500. On the 20 mile trip home with a stiff headwind and those fat tires it was screaming 3500rpm at 60-65 (5th of 6 gears) and would often shift down to 4th on grade (4500rpm).

Around town it was doing fine so I put the stock wheels/tires back on today and am going to try the same highway route tomorrow with little to no headwind.

If anything it will give me an excuse to buy a pickup.

Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #2

Our 2015 Nissian Frontier has a V6 and is rated to tow 6,000 lbs. But going over mountain passes (10k - 12k feet) it's constantly downshifting and running around 45MPH.
I suspect at lower elevations and flat terrain would be just fine.

We used to have a '05 TJ with a 2,500 lb tow rating. It pulled a small pop-up OK but nothing more.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:42 PM   #3

I posted on the other thread, but do you know what gearing you have on your JKU? Is it a Rubicon?
proride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:16 AM   #4

It's a Sport Unlimited with 3.73 gears.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
It's a Sport Unlimited with 3.73 gears.
Yeah, unfortunately, that gearing is not helping the towing. But instead of buying another vehicle, you can always change the gearing, which would be a lot cheaper.

Of course, the gearing change would not be so good on the fwy when not towing.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by proride View Post
Yeah, unfortunately, that gearing is not helping the towing. But instead of buying another vehicle, you can always change the gearing, which would be a lot cheaper.

Of course, the gearing change would not be so good on the fwy when not towing.
Very true. I knew the JKU wouldn't make for a serious TV when I bought it last summer, it's really more of a toy for me. Top off, doors off, soft top on, hard top on, that sort of thing. Figured if I wanted to tow anything more than a couple of jet skis on a regular basis I'd need more.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #7

One of the things I have found with my F350 when towing my car hauler loaded is at 65 I tend to down shift on hills, if I keep the speed @ 60 the transmission doesn't downshift as often. Plus after reading the forum and research I don't need to tow any faster given the limitations on trailer tires. Nice color match with the jeep and trailer.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #8

I have a 2007 GMC Sierra that I bought used in '08, and it's a great truck. It has the 5.3L V8 and it pulls my 17FQ without any problems. I also have a '13 JKU which is my offroad toy, but the gearing is even worse than yours, as it only has the 3.21. Luckily, it still handles all the trails I want to do without much issues, but I would not want to try and tow anything over 1000 pounds with it.

As far as the trailer, like some others, I put in a utensil drawer right on top of the heater, plus added a couple of drawers under the bed. My wife really loves the utensil drawer. I also have a portable 80w solar panel, and it really works well in keeping the battery topped off. Did change all the bulbs to LEDs and that really helped with the power draw. So far, I hardly have had to use my portable generator to charge the battery. I only use it if I need the microwave or AC.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
One of the things I have found with my F350 when towing my car hauler loaded is at 65 I tend to down shift on hills, if I keep the speed @ 60 the transmission doesn't downshift as often. Plus after reading the forum and research I don't need to tow any faster given the limitations on trailer tires. Nice color match with the jeep and trailer.
Very true - I'm in no hurry when I'm towing and would prefer to take secondary roads and stay off the interstate. Hate to be "that guy" that everyone is lining up behind to pass but 55-60 mph is just fine with me.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I agree with the towing speed. I also read all the info on trailer tires and I also keep my top speed to 60. On the fwy if the traffic is light, I just set the cruise at 60 and go with that.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
I have a 2007 GMC Sierra that I bought used in '08, and it's a great truck. It has the 5.3L V8 and it pulls my 17FQ without any problems. I also have a '13 JKU which is my offroad toy, but the gearing is even worse than yours, as it only has the 3.21. Luckily, it still handles all the trails I want to do without much issues, but I would not want to try and tow anything over 1000 pounds with it.

As far as the trailer, like some others, I put in a utensil drawer right on top of the heater, plus added a couple of drawers under the bed. My wife really loves the utensil drawer. I also have a portable 80w solar panel, and it really works well in keeping the battery topped off. Did change all the bulbs to LEDs and that really helped with the power draw. So far, I hardly have had to use my portable generator to charge the battery. I only use it if I need the microwave or AC.
Funny how I thought the same thing when I saw the blank panels above and below the heater - would love to put a drawer in the top one. There is also a blank panel above the power converter that I would like to use for something, just not sure yet. Need to pull the PC out and see what's behind there.

Really like all the storage space below the dinette seats and mattress but I know I'll need to be careful and not put too much weight in there.

The 13" tires do concern me. I'm seriously considering flipping the axle and putting 15" wheels and tires. Not so much concerned about the single 3500# axle as I am those little bitty tires running at their max most of the time.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #12

I'm also planning on doing the axle flip and bigger tires, but my reason is more because most of my camping involves getting there on dirt roads that are fairly rough and lots of dips. I can just see the whole drain pipes system being ripped off because it hangs so low.
Here are some pictures of the drawers and also the sliders I put in under the sink storage.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #13

I also had an issue with the water pressure not seeming quite right and also funny sounding pump. Well, after taking off the panel hiding the pump, I found a nice kink in the hose. I fixed that and have not had any other issues. You can see the kink just were the white hose meets the blue one.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #14
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Our 2002 Lexus 300RX V6 Automatic pulls our Rockwood MiniLite etc 181 quite nicely at 60 mph in overdrive without a head wind, but I take it out of O/D with a head wind or going up inclines if it starts downshifting. The key to climbing over passes (something we do a lot of here in Nevada) is to keep the rpm above 2000, which often means locking it in 1st gear and dropping back a bit if catching some flat-lander that nearly stops on hair-pin turns when going up the hill. Really hard to get going after someone stops on a grade.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:39 PM   #15

Quote:
I also had an issue with the water pressure not seeming quite right and also funny sounding pump. Well, after taking off the panel hiding the pump, I found a nice kink in the hose. I fixed that and have not had any other issues. You can see the kink just were the white hose meets the blue one.
Ours had the exact same issue but the kink on it was on the suction side of the pump where the hose came from the tank right at the floor.

We have also added the same slide outs under the sink and drawer over the heater and added a panel to make access to the pump easier. Also made a cutout under the seat as you enter the doorway for shoes. Lots of wasted space... that can be put to better use. Oh and also flipped the axle, went with 15" Maxxis tires, those little 13's just looked like an accident waiting to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.resized.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	101562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.resized.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	101563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.resized.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	101564   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.resized.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	101565  
Old 03-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #16

Made the 20 mile trek tonight to put it in our storage slot and the Jeep did much better. Little headwind and the skinny stock tires back on made a world of difference.

Our first outing will be two weeks from tomorrow; looking forward to making use of it.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
Made the 20 mile trek tonight to put it in our storage slot and the Jeep did much better. Little headwind and the skinny stock tires back on made a world of difference.

Our first outing will be two weeks from tomorrow; looking forward to making use of it.
Well, the Wrangler's 3.6 V6 certainly has plenty of power, all it needs is the right gearing.

You'll enjoy the trailer. We also got a memory foam mattress topper and that really made a difference on the bed. The mattress that came with ours, which I assume they all basically use the same mattress, was not something to brag about. Now the bed is very comfortable.

Have fun. The wife and I just had ours out a couple of weeks ago out in the So California desert and really enjoyed the camping trip.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:08 AM   #18

Quote:
I'm also planning on doing the axle flip and bigger tires, but my reason is more because most of my camping involves getting there on dirt roads that are fairly rough and lots of dips. I can just see the whole drain pipes system being ripped off because it hangs so low...
Dealer quoted $600 to flip the axles. I can get a perch kit for $50 and have a friend who can weld, but I've been looking at leaf spring shackle lifts and a 4" shackle kit is less than $40 and would bolt right up.

I'm wondering if that might be a better solution?
Old 03-12-2016, 09:24 AM   #19

I would think the longer shackles would induce some sway or instability.might be,and probably am,wrong. Nice unit and some nice mods.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #20

The shackles are less expensive and can be removed if they don't work, which is not as easy to do if you weld new saddles and flip the axles. I would try the shackles and do some testing under different conditions.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote