Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #1

Kingpin lock

Just purchased a Coachman Chaparral Lite 30RLS fifth wheel. Is there a need for a kingpin lock? Have not read anything about thefts of campers being a problem, but better safe ...
Gritsngranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It's hard for us to answer whether something is needed in your area for theft when we don't live there.

If you feel someone might drive by and hook up to it, by all means do something.

I've never felt the need but then I live in the country and store our trailers at home.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:13 PM   #3

We use one, keeps honest people honest.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #4

We've got one also. Used it religiously when the current RV was new. Rarely use it anymore. But we are usually either in it or it's parked beside our house. Or, maybe subconsciously I wouldn't mind if someone stole it now? Hmmmmm.....

Oh, we also have the Sidewinder hitch turned sideways so I'm thinking most would be thieves would be confused......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
Always Learning

When my camper was in a storage lot and unattended for weeks at a time, we would put a lock on it. Don’t know if it ever mattered but I felt better.

http://learntorv.com/fifth-wheel-sec...king-pin-lock/

I never locked it up at a campsite.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I always locked my TT's hitch over the years when attached and when parked.

I've never had a lock for my kingpin, although I've been thinking about getting one now that my 5'ver is in storage lot.

I do have locks on all four pins of my slider hitch in the back of my truck after someone attempted to steal it a couple of years ago.

However, just keeping your tailgate locked should be enough to keep a thief from lifting that thing out of the bed (worked for me).

Now...if you have a lightweight Anderson hitch and leave it in your truck...better lock it up!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #7

This you must answer for yourself for none of us knows your situation.
Now I have never used one on any of my 5er's. When not in use the 5er is in a storage lot that is secured by a fence and a gate that a code is required to get into and out of. The code is unique to your storage unit or site. So, they know who goes in and out of the lot. Why? So, they can block you from entering if you haven't paid your rent for that month. The lot also has cameras that work I have been in the office and seen them recording people going in and out. So, I feel safe and do not need the lock on the king pin on my trailer.

I also do not make it easier for them to steal the trailer either. The battery is discounted and the legs can not be retracted until the battery is connected. The battery is in a locked compartment separate from the leg controls on my unit which is also located in a lock compartment. But if a thief wants the trailer they will get the trailer, that's why I have insurance.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #8

Good question.... however, if it would make you more comfortable having a king-pin lock then do it.

I have the solid full cover one, only because I got it for a price I couldn't refuse.

I got mine for when or if I happen to break down on the road and had to leave the 5th wheel while I went for repairs or parts.

Knowing that anything could be removed if given enough time and determination ....but it is a good deterrent .

On another note...I was more paranoid about the storage locker door locks.
There seems to be only two different locks that the manufacturers use....i.e. the camper next to you may have the same lock = same key.
So I changed mine out with a replacement cam lock and keys.

Plus... I put a keyed power lock on/off switch to the landing gear.. mounted 'inside' the front storage compartment....this way no prankster can raise or lower the unit and the battery stays connected.

Good luck
Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #9

Thanks for all the advice. Some good ideas to consider. Was not aware that you could put a keyed power on/off switch to the landing gear. Can you give me more information about that? Thank you.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:22 AM   #10

Assuming that your landing gear control switch (extend and retract) is mounted on the exterior of your unit...if that is the case then my addition will work for you.

I attached a picture of the same battery power switch with key that I used.
It will handle the heavy load required for the landing gear motor.

Prior to doing this Mod be sure to Disconnect Power to the Landing Gear Switch.
It is quite simple to install by making a mounting bracket to place it close by the switch wiring on the inside of the storage bay, being sure to protect the rear of the switch exposed lugs from shorting out on anything.
By cutting the Power wire going to the switch add a eye to each end at the cut then place one eye on each lug. You're done !

It is a simple on or off switch with a removable key. I placed a lanyard on the key and a holder for it close by the switch so it does not get lost. 2 Keys came with mine.

This way you can be sure no one will mess with the landing gear switch When the power is left on during storage to keep the batteries topped up...or even an accidental pressing of the switch could result in doing some damage.

Hope this helps

islander
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power switch.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	194190  
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:18 AM   #11

You have to decide this for yourself, but my 2 cents I have never locked a kingpin but I do lock most of my bumper pull trailers..............

Most thieves have the ability to steal a bumper pull trailer as most pickups can pull a bumper pull trailer....... but few thieves will have a fifth wheel hitch............. but there are always exceptions

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:08 AM   #12

That helps a lot. Thanks so much for the explanation and the picture. This makes a lot of sense.

Tags
lock