Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #1

Kitchen Wall Issue

Hey everyone,

I'm having an issue with my wall board in the kitchen area of our 300BHS.
Spoke with the dealership yesterday, we happen to be 7 days beyond our warranty, conversation with them ended right there.

I was thinking of possibly contacting Forest River, but I wanted to get the opinion of the collective here to see what everyone thinks.

What I believe happened is there is most likely a small gap between the wall and the counter top, that was filled with caulking, then when it cured it shrunk slightly, which pulled the wall paper off.

It could have been there for a little while, but my wife keeps the toaster along that wall, which obstructs the view slightly. When I had both the under cabinet lights on in the evening, I was able to see it clearly.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190805_094449.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	459.3 KB
ID:	211729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190805_094444.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	211730  
HVACGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #2
Commercial Member

HVACGuy,

We would be happy to assist you with your Apex Ultra-Lite. Because your ongoing satisfaction is very important to us, we invite you to contact Ben Kruip in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.coachmenrv.com/DirectServ...07814725478471.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_FR View Post
HVACGuy,

We would be happy to assist you with your Apex Ultra-Lite. Because your ongoing satisfaction is very important to us, we invite you to contact Ben Kruip in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.coachmenrv.com/DirectServ...07814725478471.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
So far Ben has been helpful with my issues, but I am 3 weeks into owning my 2020 and not outside of any warranty. I hope that you also find him to be helpful. He is a bit slow to respond, it seems that he may be overwhelmed wit workload and often there is a day delay between emails. But he will get back to you.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #4

Perhaps I am missing the problem but it does not look like there is anything wrong...did the wallpaper pull away with it and I just missed it?

The dealer likely will not fix it to your liking if you can get them to do it at all. If it is what I said above they will likely cut the paper with a knife and put more caulking on and call it a day. I would fix it the way I wanted it to look. In my house the builder just put more caulking on and that was a temp controlled environment so you need to expect some cracking that you need to deal with and reseal in any situation.

For me it would cost more to tow it in and have it fixed than do it myself. I would fix it myself or let it go. If it were frame damage maybe push FR to fix it...
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_FR View Post
HVACGuy,

We would be happy to assist you with your Apex Ultra-Lite.

*Cut*

Respectfully,
Forest River
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post
So far Ben has been helpful with my issues, but I am 3 weeks into owning my 2020 and not outside of any warranty. I hope that you also find him to be helpful. He is a bit slow to respond, it seems that he may be overwhelmed wit workload and often there is a day delay between emails. But he will get back to you.
Thank you ES for the link, and getting the process started for me.

Appreciate the information Larry.

I look forward to hearing from Ben, we'll see how this thing shakes out.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACGuy View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm having an issue with my wall board in the kitchen area of our 300BHS.
Spoke with the dealership yesterday, we happen to be 7 days beyond our warranty, conversation with them ended right there.

I was thinking of possibly contacting Forest River, but I wanted to get the opinion of the collective here to see what everyone thinks.

What I believe happened is there is most likely a small gap between the wall and the counter top, that was filled with caulking, then when it cured it shrunk slightly, which pulled the wall paper off.

It could have been there for a little while, but my wife keeps the toaster along that wall, which obstructs the view slightly. When I had both the under cabinet lights on in the evening, I was able to see it clearly.

Thoughts?
just get a syringe and get some glue under there . or make a slice in the paper to get the glue in and press back into place . of all the issues i've seen on units this has to be the most minor of them all , not to say it's not a problem but very simple fix
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Perhaps I am missing the problem but it does not look like there is anything wrong...did the wallpaper pull away with it and I just missed it?
That's exactly what happened. It's now a giant paper bubble.

I have thought about cutting the caulking with a razor as cleanly as possible along the counter, but how do I get the wall paper to stick to the wall again?

Another thought was similar, but injecting some kind of glue into the bubble prior to cutting, then use a putty knife or something to smooth it out.

However, before I go making this look uglier, I figured I would reach out.

My biggest fear is it rips or seperates further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
just get a syringe and get some glue under there . or make a slice in the paper to get the glue in and press back into place . of all the issues i've seen on units this has to be the most minor of them all , not to say it's not a problem but very simple fix
That was my thought on how to fix it too.

I understand it's pretty minor in terms of issues you can have, but it would be pretty noticable if it's not repaired well.

We've been talking about trading our unit in the next couple of years, and I want to stay on top of cosmetic things as they come up.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:46 PM   #8

Picture does not do it justice then.

Can you cut the paper at the counter with a razor then pull the paper out to reglue? Either way I would use a razor to remove the caulking from the wallpaper as when you redo the caulking it will eventually shrink again.

If you dont want to redo the caulking cut the paper and use the syringe to get some glue in there.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote