Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #1

leaking slides

hi, has anyone experienced water leaking into your travel trailer ? I just bought a NEW 2018 coachmen freedom express 276 rkds. I haven't even taken it off the lot yet. I went buy to take some measurements yesterday ( it was raining like hell out). I noticed puddles of water on the floor in the hall across from the bath. upon further investigation I also noticed water dripping from under this bedroom slide, and onto the rug from behind the living room slide. not good. I left a message for the service guy, and intend to contact them tomorrow(Monday). I'm quite concerned. Any suggestions out there? thanks, Nicole
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #2

I would call that a deal breaker and look for another unit. No telling what damage has been done as I bet that is not the first rain it has sat through. Certainly a warranty item but what about hidden damage after the first year?

I recently bought a class C MH (January) and during the search process I test drove a Unit that we really really liked. During the test drive, as I made left turns water came gushing out of passenger side cab over bunk wall. I mean LOTs of water. After several turn it continued so several gallons of rain water had accumulated in the wall. The sales person tried to assure us that it could all be fixed, and I'm sure it could but not for me. Mold? Other damage? Who knows. I would not take the chance myself.

Good luck with your decision.
Ford E450, V-10 Gasoline, 7500# towing
14500 GVWR, 22,000# GCWR
Recliner option
Gman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2 View Post
I would call that a deal breaker and look for another unit. No telling what damage has been done as I bet that is not the first rain it has sat through. Certainly a warranty item but what about hidden damage after the first year?

I recently bought a class C MH (January) and during the search process I test drove a Unit that we really really liked. During the test drive, as I made left turns water came gushing out of passenger side cab over bunk wall. I mean LOTs of water. After several turn it continued so several gallons of rain water had accumulated in the wall. The sales person tried to assure us that it could all be fixed, and I'm sure it could but not for me. Mold? Other damage? Who knows. I would not take the chance myself.

Good luck with your decision.
I totally agree......
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:19 PM   #4

Don't take it off the lot. Look for another one or walk away.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:40 AM   #5

Run don't walk away from this unit. I hope and pray you have not signed the paper work or written the check.

Huge deal breaker and like mentioned i can only imagine the hidden damage
2017 Coachmen 292BHDS
2017 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummins 4x4
jbhodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:01 AM   #6

I agree... no way I would but that unit.... even "fixed". Water damage is a huge deal...

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #7

X 100. If you haven't signed the paperwork, DO NOT. No matter what the dealer tells you, demand another unit. If the dealer doesn't completely agree, find another dealer. Yes, it's camping season, but taking a leaking unit is setting you up for disappointment.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #8

Even if you have signed....heck no. I would have to think about it with a HUGE discount.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #9

leaking slides

I agree with everyone else, walk away!!! With what we pay for these units and the crap shoot it is already with reference to quality, no way I would START with a damaged unit. That being said, if you have already signed the papers and provided payment, I would ask for another unit. We just went through the same thing, purchased a trailer, something came up afterwards just before us picking it up. They offered to fix it, I said no based on what I said above, the dealer said they understood and brought in the same make and model from another lot.....issue resolved....lifetime customer gained!!!! They even called me two weeks later just to see how things were going and if we settled into the new unit!!!!!

If the dealer won't accommodate that, stop payment on the cheque and call Coachmen to explain what happened.
Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #10

OP... please come back. We. Need. To. Know. [emoji23]
Old 05-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #11

leaky slides

Well, I took everyone's advise and called the dealer an said I was livid about the leaking. The salesman wa off that day (hmmm), the financial guy took the information and said he would tell the service guy. That was Last monday . I have yet to hear from anyone. This is really a circus. I thought they might be better then this. guess not. Monday it is going to rain again. I'm going back down there and take pictures of any water in the trailer. then I'm calling Coachmen as I'm not getting anywhere with Scoott motorhomes rv's stay tuned
Old 05-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #12

leaking slides

I assume by your post you've already given the money and signed the paperwork? Have you requested another (same make and model) unit?

All that being said, I would not wait, I'd call Coachmen immediately and explain what is happening so I know all my available options before speaking to the local dealer again.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #13

Old 05-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #14

leaky slides.

yes i have had everything in order. signed and loan arranged etc. i was waiting to pick it up tip 6/6. i just happened to stop by to measure things when i discovered the leaks. they have not addressed said leaks yet. i'm going tomorrow with a camera and flashlite . it's supposed to rain, so i'm sure there will be leaks to photograph , as nothing has been addressed as yet. then i'm calling coachmen. then i'm calling my lawyer, and the bbb.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #15

I feel your pain Nicole.

My wife and I purchased a new Coachmen Apex back in December. Our trailer was kept inside on the dealers' showroom floor. We brought it home to do some "driveway camping". We had rain a couple days later and when I went inside to close things up, I discovered the carpet in front of the sofa was wet. So..... We took it back to the dealer and they found the leak was coming from the window behind the sofa. Fast forward to this past week and we took it out for our third outing with it. As I'm sitting outside, I notice a continuous drip coming from underneath the trailer in the back. This model has a rear bathroom and when I felt under where the drip was I found out it was coming from the pipe under the toilet (don't ask me how I knew it was black water). So.... another phone call to the dealer and I have an appointment to take it in next Tuesday. Now I'm wondering, did we make a good decision? Our previous trailer was a Jayco and we never had any problems with it at all!

At least your unit was sitting outside in the weather so you saw the leaks, where our unit was inside in a protected environment and we didn't notice the leak until after a rain.

Hope all works out well for you!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #16

leaky slides.

that sucks! i hope it can be resolved for both of us!
Old 05-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #17

Before you contact a lawyer, demand a new unit. If they're a good company, they'll make it right. Going legal is usually a 1-way street. You'll probably get nothing without a fight once that happens.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #18

When shopping for TTs I purposefully stopped after work on rainy days to inspect the units I liked & found new units that leaked badly - even though all vents, windows, etc. were closed. Once the salespersons noticed me doing this they immediately steered me clear of the known lemons while other salespersons pushed those units onto unsuspecting buyers. (Not making this up...) One unit literally had a FLOOD of water pouring down the bath/dinette wall & out under the dinette slide-out. That unit had a build date months earlier, so there's no telling how long it soaked-up rain... The salesperson put a work order on it ASAP but it was sold later that week...

Meanwhile I ended-up inspecting a mildly used unit that was bone-dry after day-long heavy rains. After spending 2 hours looking it over, including reaching my arm into cubbies & taking flash pictures of hard-to-see locations, I made an offer. Knowing how concerned I was about leaks, the dealer included a free pressurized leak test & re-caulking before they provided an additional 2.5 hour PDI. We have camped for the next 3 years without any serious issues.

This was/is our first TT & I learned a lot from this forum & try to give back when possible. IMO you have to treat buying a NEW RV like buying a USED CAR... Don't trust the dealership, take your time to inspect EVERYTHING, don't drive it off the lot until you are 100% satisfied, etc... IMO you should NOT drive this unit off the lot. Keep hanging-around the dealership on weekends & complaining around their other customers until they make it right & get you another unit. DON'T involve a lawyer, etc. because then you could spend months fighting vs. out camping... Just become a squeaky wheel until they take care of it. Trust me, they don't want everyone else becoming picky & showing-up only when it's raining, etc...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:24 AM   #19

leaking slides

You need to contact Coachmen and give them a chance to resolve your issue before seeking legal advice and the BBB. It seems like all of your conversations have been with a poor dealer disinterested in helping you. I COMPLETELY understand how you are feeling but once you go down the "threatening legal intervention" road it's very hard to come back from it.

Besides, Coachmen may resolve it to your satisfaction in minutes with some polite conversation if you explain what has happened and that you simply would like a new unit. If they too blow you off, then I would try and seek legal counsel.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #20

leaking slides

I wouldn't take possession of the unit (take it off the lot) and I'd contact your lender and let them know what you've discovered. As others have mentioned contact Coachman, but I certainly wouldn't take a unit that I knew was leaking. Water intrusion is an RV's worst enemy and you just don't know what kind of damage has already occurred that you can't see.

If your dealer cared they'd have moved the unit under cover once you pointed out the leaks and at least started on sealing it up.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide