Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2018, 10:35 AM   #1

Looking at used Apex Nano 213RDS units for 2019 buy

Hi Folks:

I'm new to this Forum. Our plans are to acquire a "base camp" caravan (camper) to tow with our truck (see signature) from the Northeast to destinations in the Southeast (and, Southwest, and Mexico). We plan on leaving during winter (November till April), and using the camper as a base camp, while we do offroad explorations with our "piggyback" light-weight pop-up truck camper (see signature). In essence, we will port both the light-weight truck camper and trailer....and will drop the trailer at "base camps" for up to 3 or 4 weeks, while we use the truck camper rig as a daily driver and offroad exploration rig.

The camper (trailer) will be situated at either "paid" campgrounds, State Parks, National Forests, and "boondocking" locales, so 300 to 500 watts of solar will be used with camper (trailer). Our truck camper is already fully contained and battery powered (with AGM bateries), so we will outfit our chosen camper (trailer) with same.

We really like what we are seeing (virtually, not first-hand so far) with the Apex Nano 213RDS, however these campers are as rare as hen's teeth in Northeastern Canada. We hope to "see one" at a spring RV show, when we return from Florida.

Our plan is to buy used (for many reasons), and are looking at anything from a 2013 to a lightly-used 2018 unit. I have been able to determine that "Azdel" has been used in the Apex since appx. 2013. Does anyone here know of any repository of Apex Nano brochures going back to 2013 I can download? Barring that, can anyone here elaborate on precisely where Azdel is being used in models from 2013 to 2018? Ie. is Azdel used as the sandwich bread in the roof laminate AND floor laminate? Or, just the 4 walls?

Another question is: we are planning to use the next-generation Andersen hitch system (the new friction ball hyper-cone design, improved in 2017). Is anyone here using the new (or, 1st generation) Andersen hitch/anti-sway set-up? If so, how does your vehicle and indeed the rig respond (I would be particularly interested in 2500HD and 3500 sized tow vehicle user response) ?

And the final question, what does the Apex Nano use as a roof membrane? And, what slide-out design does the Apex series use (has anyone had issues with Apex slides of the 2013 to 2018 design) ?

In closing, in the opinion of 20 foot Apex users, does/is the Apex unit flex torsionally to any noticeable degree (users will see this when leveling their trailer) ?

Thanks for bearing with this long-ish request! I hope that this wasn't too boring "a read" LOL!

Cheers,
Derek-
Old 11-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #2

...after spending ~20 odd minutes creating a detailed vehicle write-up, and our truck camper description and weight, the "Signature" submit killed all my text with exception of the 1st line (the quote) LOL!

Anyhow, this is the short form describing our tow vehicle:

2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 | Ext/Long Bed | 4L80E | Duratrac rubber LR: E @ 3,750 lbs max load each | Corporate 10.5" 14 bolt rear end at 4.10 ratio | Tow Package with multiple fluid coolers & under-hood dual batteries

Truck Camper OutfitterMFG Caribou 8 | Manual lift | Weblon insulated soft-wall | Vacuum bonded aluminum/FRP camper shell | Aluminum framed / marine plywood camper tub Linex'ed | Aluminum framed roof with 1st generation TPO | weight loaded 1260 lbs +/- 120 lbs
Old 11-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #3

Good luck on your trip! That sounds amazing.

Down to business. I own the 193BHS... Which is nearly identical to what you're referencing (Except for length I suppose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM Mapper View Post
precisely where Azdel is being used in models from 2013 to 2018? Ie. is Azdel used as the sandwich bread in the roof laminate AND floor laminate? Or, just the 4 walls?

Just the 4 walls. The floor is plywood with laminate on top, then insulated and covered with waterproofing on the bottom.

And the final question, what does the Apex Nano use as a roof membrane? And, what slide-out design does the Apex series use (has anyone had issues with Apex slides of the 2013 to 2018 design) ?

The roof is the typical rubber roof membrane. I've taped all of the dicor with Eternabond.

Zero issues with slides. I DID put a slide topper on because it snows and rains where I live.

In closing, in the opinion of 20 foot Apex users, does/is the Apex unit flex torsionally to any noticeable degree (users will see this when leveling their trailer) ?

No, and we tow off-road quite a bit. I will say that flexing torsionally WILL occur if you don't level your axle first and try to level with the scissor jacks. So don't do that.
I've put a TON of miles on my 193BHS, so just let me know if you've got any issues or more questions.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
Good luck on your trip! That sounds amazing.

Down to business. I own the 193BHS... Which is nearly identical to what you're referencing (Except for length I suppose)

I've put a TON of miles on my 193BHS, so just let me know if you've got any issues or more questions.
Many thanks for your prompt response!

Rubber roof: that Eternabond sounds like a great preventive around the entire perimeter of the roof-to-trim seam(s), and around the roof-top accouterments. I could apply this right from the get-go.

Floor build-up: OK. This sounds reasonable. We'll strive to keep the "bottom" above water. Are you aware if your 193BHS has the same frame-to-ground height as the 213RDS genre camper frames? The frame-to-ground height is an an unknown to me presently, but important to me in determining if I need to modify the dump valve height and/or location. I will probably remove the 4 scissor jacks, and use my own portable alternative (for increased clearance).

Oh, and before I forget, I want to immediately install 15 inch rims in place of the 14 inchers and put on LR: D tires (LR: E tires won't fit 15 inch rims if I recall?). However, your 193BHS may have a different axle-to-axle distance that the 213RDS. I wonder if anyone has ever mounted 4 shocks to an Apex dual axle? Hmmm.

Its great to be talking "trailering" with a fellow "offroader"

Cheers
Old 11-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #5

We don't camp off road yet, but if you are worried about ground height you might search the threads for people that have flipped their axles to gain more ground clearance.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM Mapper View Post
Many thanks for your prompt response!

Rubber roof: that Eternabond sounds like a great preventive around the entire perimeter of the roof-to-trim seam(s), and around the roof-top accouterments. I could apply this right from the get-go.

Yep. It's pretty great stuff, and highly recommended. I'm pretty anal about application, so be sure to really do your prep work.

Floor build-up: OK. This sounds reasonable. We'll strive to keep the "bottom" above water. Are you aware if your 193BHS has the same frame-to-ground height as the 213RDS genre camper frames? The frame-to-ground height is an an unknown to me presently, but important to me in determining if I need to modify the dump valve height and/or location. I will probably remove the 4 scissor jacks, and use my own portable alternative (for increased clearance).

I'm not versed in the frame-to-ground clearance for the 213. I will say that while this trailer has good off-road characteristics... the suspension does leave something to be desired. I'm installing shocks next summer. I wouldn't worry about the scissor jacks, they tuck up pretty nicely. The dump valves on the other hand are terribly low. I actually modified mine to be directly behind the axle.

Oh, and before I forget, I want to immediately install 15 inch rims in place of the 14 inchers and put on LR: D tires (LR: E tires won't fit 15 inch rims if I recall?). However, your 193BHS may have a different axle-to-axle distance that the 213RDS. I wonder if anyone has ever mounted 4 shocks to an Apex dual axle? Hmmm.

Ours came with 15" wheels.

RIGHT?! I'm actually used to heavy duty overlanding, so this trailer definitely not made for that. BUT since you're using it as a base camp, it will be perfect.

Cheers
-Kyle
Old 11-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
We don't camp off road yet, but if you are worried about ground height you might search the threads for people that have flipped their axles to gain more ground clearance.
AND this is also a great idea. One that I considered, but with two little kiddos, it's hard to get little legs up that first step.

I know they make aftermarket ones, but I try to travel light.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
Good point, Mitch. Thanks.

I'll make several measurements when I eventually encounter a 213RDS. And assess the dump valve locale.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post

RIGHT?! I'm actually used to heavy duty overlanding, so this trailer definitely not made for that. BUT since you're using it as a base camp, it will be perfect.

Cheers
Kyle:

Yes. Exactly. As a "base camp", we may only adjust the locale and height of that dump valve. You should see the step we have to make up to the truck camper doorway LOL! That is one climb. One almost needs to rappel down to the ground when exiting the truck camper

I actually found a photo of a "Tire and Loading" sticker on the side of a 2019 213RDS, and it read: ST205/75R14D tires, at 65 PSI cold tire pressure. I'm not looking for a 2019, so with some luck, the older 213's may be outfitted with 15 inch rims. However, even with 14 inch rims as OEM, the photos I'm seeing of 231's wheel configuration appear to allow for a 15 inch rim and LR D sized trailer tires.

Offroading and overlanding: ....we attended the Overland Expo East 2014; this was the first year the OE was held in the eastern US (held at Taylor Ranch, near Asheville, NC)....I think it was the weekend of Oct 14th if my memory serves. Afterward, we rocketed over to the OBX for a week near Waves, on the ocean, with the truck camper rig.

Cheers
Old 11-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #10

I have a 213rds if you need any specific info or measurements just let me know
dbd1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #11

As far as ground clearance, bigger tires, swapping axles, and towing off road goes, I tow "off road" to my hunting camp pretty regularly. Dirt roads that can get pretty rutted up and I have had no issues with clearance. I am fairly new to the camper world, but I couldn't see pushing this trailer, or any standard travel trailer for that matter, to tow in any gnarlier conditions, so lifting it would probably just hurt the aerodynamics even worse and use more gas.
dbd1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1313 View Post
I have a 213rds if you need any specific info or measurements just let me know

Thanks dbd1313.

Would you know the distance from bottom of trailer's coupler to tarmac (when trailer is level) ? Also, the distance from axle (from wheel grease zerk) on the rear-most wheel to (rear) bumper? And, if you can, the ground clearance under the most rearward accouterment hanging under the frame (probably the scissor leveler?) ?

On edit: whoops...just one more question: what are you towing with? We have a lifted Silverado 2500HD, and I'm worried about how far down from my 2 inch receiver the hitch ball would have to drop. Our rig is in indoor storage some 70 miles from us, and I won't have access to verify my actual truck receiver to ground distance (I think it is 25-ish inches).

Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #13

What size TV can fit in the TV space of the 213rds?
kfloamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:06 PM   #14

Pricing of apex Nano 213RD

I have looked at Coachmen prices quite a few places. One of the dealers that I usually look at for fair (no hidden fees) is in North Carolina. I do not work for them or Coachmen or affiliated with RVs in any way other than camping. Good luck. Here is the link to the 213RD.

https://www.crrvc.com/listings/2019-...x-nano-213rds/
jdhoskins3 is offline   Reply With Quote