Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #1

Looking for some advice

Hi all have a little problem. On our return trip from the redwoods a couple of months ago stopped at Bakersfield and found the bedroom flooring had pulled away from the side wall. It looks like all the screws going through the flooring structure have pulled out of the wall.

Coachmen is taking care of this and I will be taking it to the repair facility this Monday the 7th. What should I be on the lookout for? I do not know why the floor did this... but I am concerned, as upon further inspection of the coach (all on the right-side) there are bolts backing out of the awning brackets and found the paneling in the closet has come apart as well.

Does anyone know how this should properly be repaired?

All feedback is much appreciated...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2777.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	124746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2778.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	124747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2780.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	124748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2781.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	124749  
Old 11-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #2

If I'm understanding your description and the pictures correctly, I think your problem is with the wall separating from the trailer and not a problem with the floor or screws backing out.

I've been through several factory tours. The floors are built up off the frame. Flooring, carpet and all are layed and then the wall panels (built without the exterior skin) are put in place and anchored to the floor and frame out riggers. From your pics, I'd guess a wall is not anchored to the floor and has moved, pulling the screws and taking the awning bracket with it.

I would think the fix would be trying to put the wall back in place and anchor it appropriately. If that isn't possible, then replace the wall panel.

I just picked my trailer up from the service center after having some major front corner and side damage when I was hit by a car. They did an incredible job. They know how to take these apart and put them back together.

Here's my before and after.

j

2016 nights camped: 40
2017 nights camped: 16
2017 nights reserved: 30
VizJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VizJedi View Post
If I'm understanding your description and the pictures correctly, I think your problem is with the wall separating from the trailer and not a problem with the floor or screws backing out.

I've been through several factory tours. The floors are built up off the frame. Flooring, carpet and all are layed and then the wall panels (built without the exterior skin) are put in place and anchored to the floor. From your pics, I'd guess a wall is not anchored to the floor and has moved, pulling the screws and taking the awning bracket with it.

I would think the fix would be trying to put the wall back in place and anchor it appropriately. If that isn't possible, then replace the wall panel.

I just picked my trailer up from the service center after having some major front corner and side damage when I was hit by a car. They did an incredible job. They know how to take these apart and put them back together.

j
Did you have the fix done locally? I am keeping a mental list of shops to consider should I have need. If the work was done local, can you share the name?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Did you have the fix done locally?
No. I took it to the factory in Middlebury, IN. My "local" dealer where I bought was 2 hours away and I didn't have much confidence in their service dept after my PDI. The trailer was only 6 months old. I put a topic on here about where to get it fixed. It was unanimous to go back to the factory. Mine was covered by the person that hit me, but it was still very reasonable if I had to pay out of pocket.

I'm not sure how old your trailer is, but this is something I would definitely have the factory resolve. If it is out of warranty, I'd still give them an opportunity to look into it. Without some type of impact or extensive water damage, walls shouldn't pull away from a frame.

EDIT- Sorry Wobbles. I didn't realize you were the one asking about where I got it repaired and not the OP.

Around us (S. IL), I'm not sure where I'd go. I bought my prior 5er at Colman's in Hartford. They always had a decent service depart, but were generally pretty busy and you had a wait to get in.

j

Old 11-06-2016, 01:02 PM   #5

I had a problem similar to VizJedi's. There was what I thought was minor damage to the left rear corner of my 5er. It looked like the bottom two feet of the corner molding had pulled off. Screws had popped out and other side molding at the rear was pulled away from the body. Brought the trailer to the shop where I had my regular service done and they fixed it. Two days into the next trip it was all loose and pulled back again. Back to the shop, another fix. Another trip, pulled back again, and another fix. This time they told we they couldn't do any more. On the next trip I noticed that the back wall had come loose from the floor...I could actually see daylight through the seam between the floor and the back wall. Brought the trailer to another shop that claimed they could fix it, so I left it there for a few other routine repairs and asked for an estimate on the body work. Two months later they called and told me the work was done---except for the body work. They decided they couldn't fix it. I eventually found a body shop specializing in RV and big truck body work. It took several months, mainly negotiating with my insurance company, but the trailer is now fixed. We lost a season of camping and wound up paying a large portion of the bill because the insurance company wouldn't cover work that had been previously done. The lesson here is: if damage looks like something more than skin deep, get the rig to the manufacturer or a shop that truly specialized in rebuilding RVs with serious body damage. Based on my experience it would seem that most RV dealer's body shops aren't able to more than repair exterior surface and molding damage.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #6

GroundControl 3.0 error code won't clear

I have a 2016 Brookstone 325RL with Lippert Ground Control 3.0 6 point Auto-level system. I retracted all jacks normally and when setting up the next day the front jacks landed normally and when I pushed the "auto-level" button I got a "LF Jack error" code. Display says "manually retract all jacks or hold retract button until auto-retract. Holding retract button had no effect. Book says to retract manually which I did ( 3/8 ratchet in top of both middle and rear jacks) and no change with error code. I hooked up TV and retracted the front jacks and still no change in error code. Front jacks work normally in manual mode) but middle and rear jacks are fully retracted and there is no control at the control panel

Any suggestions on how I can get the error code to clear so I can continue with auto-level process?
TomM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
Any suggestions on how I can get the error code to clear so I can continue with auto-level process?
From what I read, the error is possibly a hall effect (positioning) sensor or a wiring problem.

The manual and e-trailer both say to manually run all the jacks down at least 6 inches and then "press and hold" the retract all button until the jacks stop to reset the system.

If that doesn't get it, I'd check the sensor or wiring.

j

Old 11-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #8

When we had our Brookstone we had a list of 15 serious issues from the get-go that I had lost all faith in our local dealer and took it the 1,100 miles back to the Coachmen factory for what I thought would be a big ordeal. Wrong! They had all 15 problems taken care of in less than a day. I can't say enough good things about their team. If at all possible I recommend you take it back to the men and women that know your rig inside and out - they built it. Dealers know sales but if the fix is at all complicated

"On The Snowbird RV Road Again" with Adirondack Jack, Niki, B.B. and K.C.
2011 Excel 5th Wheel - 32' of mobile office & down home comfort
2011 F-250 Built Ford Tough for Summers in the Adirondacks and Winters in the sunny South.
Adirondack Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #9

For you folks that took your rigs back to the factories, how were you able to do that? Most companies almost insist you go through the dealers.

Did you call the factory first to get approval? Were they receptive? Did you just show up and say fix my rig?

Just askin'....
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
For you folks that took your rigs back to the factories, how were you able to do that? Most companies almost insist you go through the dealers.

Did you call the factory first to get approval? Were they receptive? Did you just show up and say fix my rig?

Just askin'....
Called the factory and made an appointment. Came in the night before and set up in the small RV park area they have beside the factory. They gave us a tour of the factory while others were fixing our problems. Never hurts to call and ask.

"On The Snowbird RV Road Again" with Adirondack Jack, Niki, B.B. and K.C.
2011 Excel 5th Wheel - 32' of mobile office & down home comfort
2011 F-250 Built Ford Tough for Summers in the Adirondacks and Winters in the sunny South.
Adirondack Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
For you folks that took your rigs back to the factories, how were you able to do that?.
The factory has a "service" department that does nothing but fix or modify the RVs. There is a separate division for warranty work (building 250 across the road).
I called the phone number for Bob Jewell that I got from the forum after my trailer was hit. I knew it would be an insurance deal. Either the girl that ran into me or my insurance if she didn't have any. I didn't give the insurance co a chance to say where I could get it fixed. I told them it was a 6 month old trailer with half of the side smashed by their client and it was going back to the factory. And then I asked them how THEY were going to get it there... 370 miles away.

Bob was fantastic to work with. I sent him the same pics I sent the insurance co. Bob said it looked mostly cosmetic and since I could still use the trailer, he suggested I don't bring it up until camping season was over. He suggested the first part of October, I said great.

j

Old 11-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondack Jack View Post
Called the factory and made an appointment. Came in the night before and set up in the small RV park area they have beside the factory. They gave us a tour of the factory while others were fixing our problems. Never hurts to call and ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VizJedi View Post
The factory has a "service" department that does nothing but fix or modify the RVs. There is a separate division for warranty work (building 250 across the road).
I called the phone number for Bob Jewell that I got from the forum after my trailer was hit. I knew it would be an insurance deal. Either the girl that ran into me or my insurance if she didn't have any. I didn't give the insurance co a chance to say where I could get it fixed. I told them it was a 6 month old trailer with half of the side smashed by their client and it was going back to the factory. And then I asked them how THEY were going to get it there... 370 miles away.

Bob was fantastic to work with. I sent him the same pics I sent the insurance co. Bob said it looked mostly cosmetic and since I could still use the trailer, he suggested I don't bring it up until camping season was over. He suggested the first part of October, I said great.

j
Good to know for future reference, if needed
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote