Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #1

Looking to buy 310BHDS

We are in the process of buying a Freedom Express 301BHDS with outdoor kitchen. We will add the value package and the entertainment package along with the power jack and sofa upgrade. Curious if anyone has any comments good or bad? We currently have a price of $29,299 from the dealer closest to us. We have not committed yet but curious if that is a good price? We've done tent camping and popup camping for years and this is the first move into a big unit so want to make sure we do the right thing. Thanks!
srderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #2

Anyone? We put deposit down today so its ordered.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
Site Team

We have the FE 248RBS. You will really like the outdoor kitchen . keeps trips in and out to a minimum. Really enjoying ours. Most likely doesn't have the water pump winterizing bypass. They are only$20. Might be something to ask dealer to throw in.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #4

Just my opinion... But 30% off the MSRP is a good starting point for price. Look around at many different places.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #5

We have a 2014 320bhds and love the outdoor kitchen. They wanted 42 k for it and we payed 30,000. Try to beat them up a little more on the price but either way you will be happy with it.
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:22 AM   #6

Dear Srderby;
I can tell you that you will very happy with the Freedom Express 310BLDS. I have owned my Liberty Edition for just over 2 years now. I had a few issues with the brakes and grease getting into the brake pads and a tire wear problem. These issues were taken care of under warranty. My family really enjoy the room and open feeling inside. The main reason we purchased this unit was the outside kitchen.our 2nd pick was the 298REDS unit. I really wanted the larger shower but figured that you only use that 5 to 10 minutes a day, whereas the outside kitchen we use all day. I am pleased with the quality of construction and interior craftsmanship. I bought a 1 year left over and paid 25.500 for my 2013 . the sticker was 41,700. I would recommend you get a good Equalizer weight distribution hitch out of the deal. I got the 12000 LBS hitch and have no issues with sway.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:36 PM   #7

Thanks all for the advice. Got them down a little more and will have the weight distribution hitch. Had to order but should have in about 6 weeks. Hopefully about the time winter is starting to break here in Massachusetts. Cant wait for warm weather and a chance to get out for a weekend.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:46 PM   #8

Awesome congrats and many happy trips
Old 02-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by srderby View Post
Thanks all for the advice. Got them down a little more and will have the weight distribution hitch. Had to order but should have in about 6 weeks. Hopefully about the time winter is starting to break here in Massachusetts. Cant wait for warm weather and a chance to get out for a weekend.

My advice is to be patient on the 6-week lead time... You can have the best dealer in the country and it still might be longer, and in some cases, much longer. There are many variables the dealer has no control over (production schedules, transportation, etc).
Congrats and good luck.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:44 AM   #10

Srderby, make sure when you pick up your new trailer that you do a through inspection on everything in your trailer. Mine had an issue with the microwave not working and some cosmetic damage to the woodwork. Which was taken care of before we left for home. Make sure they show you how everything works and is working before you sign the papers. That way if a defect is spotted you are not stuck with the damaged unit. I'm not trying to scare you but I want to protect you from a possible headache later and have no options. Another thing to make sure is that it is winterized and they hooked up a bypass hose on the pump to make that task easier to do next year.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #11

I said six but I think they actually told us 6-8 weeks. We're in Mass and have plenty of snow that will be here for awhile so 8 weeks is perfectly fine. Great advice on the inspection and the pump bypass...I'll do that. Will also have second battery. What did yours come with for a battery? How many amp hours? We'll be doing some dry camping so that will be important to us. Also looking at some solar or honda generator.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by srderby View Post
I said six but I think they actually told us 6-8 weeks. We're in Mass and have plenty of snow that will be here for awhile so 8 weeks is perfectly fine. Great advice on the inspection and the pump bypass...I'll do that. Will also have second battery. What did yours come with for a battery? How many amp hours? We'll be doing some dry camping so that will be important to us. Also looking at some solar or honda generator.

Not sure if you've read this previously... But the inverter type generators is what you'll be looking for if you're dry camping. Pretty quiet units. The Honda 2000 is the most popular unit, and will run everything except your A/C. For that, you'll need the Honda 3000 at a minimum. Some go with (2) Honda 2000's (one is built to mate with the other) and parallel them so they run together.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #13

Srderby

I use an interstate RV battery with 550 CCA. If we dry camp that battery would last approx 7 hours running the fridge, water pump and lights conservatively. I switched to LEDS last year in the main light units and still use some regular bulbs for reading. Make sure you disconnect your wiring plug from your truck when dry camping with the truck still hooked to the hitch. If you do not it will drain that battery as well., I found that out the hard way.

These units are good for 1 night of gray tank waste. 2 kids and 2 adults with showers. The most I was able to go was almost 2 on gray tank and approx 5 days on black tank.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #14

Same boat as JohnClark. $42k for the 2015 320bhds and paid $30k out the door with the entertainment package.
dcarver1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #15

Thanks for the info. Now all we need here in New England is an end to this snow. Soon enough.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:21 PM   #16

Haha. More coming and I'm sick of it fyi not sure where you are buying it but if going thru campers inn in Merrimack make sure it is perfect before you leave. They've pretty much destroyed my 2014 320bhds replacing the floor that was torn by bad molding strips. Good luck and happy camping
Old 02-27-2015, 12:01 AM   #17

When you are finished with the walk through (PDI) and getting it hitched to your truck, make sure the dealer shows you how to get the hitch on and OFF. Hubbie spent almost two hours working to get the new hitch off the TT at the storage facility.

Ford 150 Eco Boost
2016 Coachmen Catalina 243 Banner Edition
Vallgrlx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #18

Trailer is at dealer now. Pick up next Saturday. Will be a long week!