Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2018, 02:04 AM   #1

Low point drains

I just purchase a Shasta Phoenix 370FE which I think its built in same factory as the Coachman Chaparral . Can someone help me I see the low point drain lines under my 5th wheel but don't know where the drain lines open and close valve our when I did PDI I ask mech he didn't not know but was suppose to ask other mech but we forgot to so if anyone out there can help me with this I would appreciate Thanks for any Help.
stujoejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujoejones View Post
I just purchase a Shasta Phoenix 370FE which I think its built in same factory as the Coachman Chaparral . Can someone help me I see the low point drain lines under my 5th wheel but don't know where the drain lines open and close valve our when I did PDI I ask mech he didn't not know but was suppose to ask other mech but we forgot to so if anyone out there can help me with this I would appreciate Thanks for any Help.
I don't have your rig but they are not hard to find as they are usually hanging down so you can see them and turn the valves. On most rigs, the valves are on the end of the drains. The drains are 1 red 1 blue. If you find them and there are no valves then your in for a scavenger hunt. Usually straight above the drains hidden behind a removable panel of some kind. Mine are under the trailer next to the steps.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:15 AM   #3
NH Maple Maker

A lot of FR RV's don't come with valves. On my V-cross the low point drains have caps on them. If your lines are capped it probably doesn't have valves. If you do have caps remove one and see how much water drains out. If a lot of water drains out you don't have valves.

As soon as I get the chance I'm going to install the valves that I got for fathers day on mine.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:01 AM   #4
"On the road again"

I use the low point drains so rarely I haven't replaced the caps with valves but my fresh water tank drain had a cap and I did remove it and replace with a quarter-turn valve similar to the one pictured.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:05 AM   #5

One year in the fall when winterizing I opened the low point drains to drain all the water before adding antifreeze. I was surprised to find a small amount of antifreeze had remained in the down pipes all camping season. I now open low drains every spring and fall or whenever I am doing maintenance on the water supply system.
keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #6

I have a 2016 Chaparral. One line from the tank with a cap on the end. I went and pick-up a $3 PVC threaded valve. Easier to open and close. However, last hunting trip, that pvc valve froze and cracked. I will need to insulate this year. Metal will freeze faster.

2016 Chapparal Lite 29MKS
2010 F-250 6.4L Diesel
MurphyIRE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain