Old 05-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #11

I too suspect the dealer didn't "fill" them. I used heat for two nights, it was about 60 degrees out and I had the thermostat set at 65... Fridge ran a little cool, but that's about it. Thanks folks!

Old 06-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #12

We had that problem last year. Thought we burned through a tank just using the fridge and the furnace didn't light. Took the tank back for a fill and were told it wan't close to empty yet...a bubble had stopped the propane from flowing. Just had to stick a screwdriver in to pop the valve. Was fine after that. We do carry an extra tank now just in case.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlehouse View Post
We had that problem last year. Thought we burned through a tank just using the fridge and the furnace didn't light. Took the tank back for a fill and were told it wan't close to empty yet...a bubble had stopped the propane from flowing. Just had to stick a screwdriver in to pop the valve. Was fine after that. We do carry an extra tank now just in case.
Stick a screwdiver where to "pop" the valve? Could you explain that. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I agree with this wholeheartedly. My wife likes it *WARM* so we go through a lot of propane.
Ditto. Our first winter boondocking in Key West it was FREEZING at night (and darn cold during the day). Every 3 days we went through a 30 pound tank of propane and since I was running the generator off a 20 pound "pony tank" every other camper fill was a 50 pounder.

It is what it is.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Find a place that refills tanks (U-Haul) by the weight and you will know that you have a full tank. All (most, to not cause 'controversy') exchange places do not have full tanks to start with. I have asked and have been told that exchange places only have their tanks about 80% full. This was told to me by deliver drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
You are only allowed to fill a propane tank to 80% this leaves room for expansion.
We discuss this a few times every now and again, as it can be easily confusing. A propane tank is filled to 80% of it's water capacity. This 20% void space allows for the expansion and vaporization of the gas.

This expansion void of the cylinder is figured into the propane capacity of the same cylinder. A 20 lb propane cylinder holds 20 lbs of propane, a 30 pound holds 30 pounds, etc................even with the 20% void.

OK, the major cylinder exchange companies (AmeriGas, Blue Rhino), usually only fill the propane cylinders to 75% of it's propane capacity (not water capacity)........so a cylinder that holds 20 lbs of propane would only have 15 pounds of propane when filled to 75% of propane capacity. So when you utilize these exchanges you are only getting a cylinder filled to usually 80, or 75% of it's propane capacity (or about 3/4ths).

You can look at the weight labels on these exchange cylinders, as well as the signs on the cages and it tells the propane weight. These companies had to get sued, before they started really putting this info on the signs.

Here is where we discussed the same misgivings previously (post #10), as well as how to weigh the tanks:

propane

Hope it makes it easier to understand.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas