Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #1

Manual slide in? 2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS

I've done some searches here and elsewhere but haven't found my answer so am hoping someone can assist. (I've also left a message with FR/Coachmen, waiting for call back.)

Twice in the past month my slide out has failed to slide in when I pressed/held the switch, and I had to cancel/delay trip. I won't go into what I did to get the slide electrical components working again ...my question is, how to retract manually? The Lippert Component Systems owners manual is very general and gives instructions for multiple components and models, none of which seem to be my particular slide out. The local dealer (I didn't buy mine there) didn't have specific instructions, just told me to look where the slide motor is and instructions for manual operation would be printed there; but they are not. There is nothing on the outside that would facilitate manual cranking. I tried disconnecting the electrical components from the slide control box and then tried to push it in manually from outside, but wouldn't slide. I'm thinking there must be some type attachment that either attaches to the tiny metal pin sticking out of the motor, or a special socket/crank that attaches to this other metal rod, and would thus allow manual cranking. (See attached photos.) I'm basically living in fear of the day that I get somewhere and this thing won't work on electric and I'm stuck. I'm a full timer, so even though my small physical size does allow me to squeeze through without ever using the slide, it's very cramped and my normal sized visitors can't squeeze into bathroom with the slide in.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170222_115319.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	130421   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170222_115259.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	130422  
Old 02-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
Site Team

There should be a manual crank handle somewhere in the RV. It's usually hanging on the wall in the Passthru. It will fit whichever of those protrusions you're supposed to crank on. (ours fits the larger hex one). It takes a lot of cranking to move the slide, so it's not something you'd want to do with any regularity.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #3

Thanks, I called Coachmen

My main question was which part should I rotate, so I called Coachmen and they confirmed that it is under the couch and sticks out of the right slide track. There is no crank. Coachmen apparently installed this in such a tight space that there isn't enough room for a crank. They said use a ratchet or impact driver. I'm pretty shocked they said impact driver rather than a drill. I haven't tried it yet, will report back when I do.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #4

I have a Freedom Express 259BHS and the stabilizer crank is used for the stabilizers, the spare tire, and the slide out override. I have a hole in between the curbside tire wheelwell where you can insert the crank.
bdhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhoun View Post
I have a Freedom Express 259BHS and the stabilizer crank is used for the stabilizers, the spare tire, and the slide out override. I have a hole in between the curbside tire wheelwell where you can insert the crank.

LIsa I have the same unit, 2014 model, initially with the same problem. The slide out would work intermittently and without warning the switch would not engage the slide motor. The issue lies with the plastic cable insert that plugs into the white plastic connector box that is located in your picture behind the crank motor. The square hole the wire connector plugs into is slightly too large and allows the connector to break connection. Use a small piece of duct tape to wrap around the back and sides of the connector, reinsert the connector ( looks like a telephone jack) and your problem will be solved. Been three years - no problems.
Indiana man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, freedom express, manual, slide