Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #1

Mice Entering Trailer - Unknown Access

I have a new Catalina 293RKS. It is parked in some property I own. I have had some troubles with mice entering the trailer and getting into the cupboard under the sink. At this point in time they seem to be restricted to the cupboard. I have been underneath the trailer several times trying to figure out how they are getting in. I have plugged up a few holes that I found but so far this has been fruitless. I do leave a trap in the cupboard and pull mice out every week. I'm wondering if anyone has found an particular spots in this model where they have found mice have been able to enter.

Appreciate an insight anyone might have. Thanks
alfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:30 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Check the rear bumper, there was a gap on mine. Also the corpalst around the sewer connections.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #3

Thanks

Thanks, I will take a closer look at that area. I did go over where the sewers come in and did check around bumpers. But will take a closer look.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:07 AM   #4

There is only one way to truly stop these buggers.

You need to place high powered lights in the camper at night. Like 600W halogen work lights from HD. Shine the lights in all the cabinets and under dinettes, etc. If you only have a few work lights, then start at one end and move towards the other.

You may need to remove a few access panels that FR uses to cover up utility type things like hoses, drains, wires, etc.

The key is to get the light shining on all exterior walls and floor.

You want to get under the unit and look for any light you see escaping. Fill all those breaches.

Once you stop all the light, you will stop all the entrances.

Good luck,

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #5

Mice can get thru some very tiny holes and it's really hard to plug everything. I've used steel wool in the past but even that is not a complete fix. I've been using dryer sheets in the classic cars and in the camper. I used them generously throughout the trailer... on the beds, under the cupboards and all over. In the cars I put them in the engine compartment, interior and trunk when I store them for the winter. Since I've been using the dryer sheets I haven't had any problems with mice. I live in a rural area or colorado and wildlife is abundant, including mice and rabbits. It makes everything smell good too. Just a thought but you might be pleasantly surprised with the sheets. The mice don't seem to like the smell.
msrafd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
Retired Techie

X2 on dryer sheets. Smell doesn't last like mothballs which also works
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:49 PM   #7

Mouse-Free

We had the same problem with out travel trailer. I sprayed the bottom of the trailer with a product called Mouse-Free. Kind of a weird way to put it, but I don't know if it worked or not, we haven't had a visitor since.
John Forish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrafd View Post
Mice can get thru some very tiny holes and it's really hard to plug everything. I've used steel wool in the past but even that is not a complete fix. I've been using dryer sheets in the classic cars and in the camper. I used them generously throughout the trailer... on the beds, under the cupboards and all over. In the cars I put them in the engine compartment, interior and trunk when I store them for the winter. Since I've been using the dryer sheets I haven't had any problems with mice. I live in a rural area or colorado and wildlife is abundant, including mice and rabbits. It makes everything smell good too. Just a thought but you might be pleasantly surprised with the sheets. The mice don't seem to like the smell.
I tried dryer sheets in my classic, the mice made nests with it!!!
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #9

For those of us who go into anaphylaxis from heavily perfumed items like dryer sheets, a product called Mouse Magic works well. It's like teabags full of inert stuff that's infused with mint. Mice don't like it and the mint is more tolerable than the chemicals on dryer sheets.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
2005 Honda Element (toad)
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
widogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #10

the light trick will work just fine - but if you can't get to some spots to seal do yourself a huge favor and search out a product called FRESHCAB

save the dryer sheets for the thing they were designed to do - stopping static cling.

dont set traps to invite guests in for a snack because the dumbest mouse will die and the rot is on.

FRESHCAB worksit drives the mice away from your TT and or vehicles, home or garage.
They will deliver to your home in boxes of 12 on a recurring schedule or you can purchase them from places like Tractor Supply and some hardware stores.
I get 1 box every 90 days for my garden shed, TT and garage.

No mice or signs of mice for 4 yrs now in my TT garage or shed and my neighbor hates me because he wont spend 15$ to protect his trailer (yet he blames me for forcing mice his way)
Old 06-17-2015, 07:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Forish View Post
We had the same problem with out travel trailer. I sprayed the bottom of the trailer with a product called Mouse-Free. Kind of a weird way to put it, but I don't know if it worked or not, we haven't had a visitor since.
Mouse free is anther product that works however it tends to wash off hauling in teh rain and it is expensive.

ok if you are a "Start and Park" kind of camper.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:22 AM   #12

We had done all of the suggestions - dryer sheets, steel wool, traps, etc. The only way we were able to stop them was to us the spray foam around the bathroom sink drain pipes. Haven't had a problem since.
BillConnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #13

[QUOTE=MilCop4523;896133]the light trick will work just fine - but if you can't get to some spots to seal do yourself a huge favor and search out a product called FRESHCAB

Have heard real good reviews of Freshcab. But for some reason the Canadian customs stopped the import ( so I was told by dealer who sold it before) of Freshcab, something in it they didn't like!!!. I use peppermint oil now and it works real good, smells nice also!
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
TnT

I just pulled off every panel I could and filled every hole that went thru the floor with Great stuff in all the campers I've had as of yet not one mouse. It's parked on the edge of a field.

2016 F350 Dually
2014 Spartan 1032
2010 F250 it went to a new owner
2008 Harley Road Glide
TnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:53 AM   #15

We had an old Wilderness T T that we keep in the North Woods of Michigan,,, the mice would build a nest on one of our propane tanks,,, under the vinyl cover,,, so I put a hand full of moth balls on that tank one fall,,, when we returned the mice had built a new nest less than a foot away from the mothballs !!! We also used to put moth balls in the Trailer,,, till it got to smelling so bad we could not stand to use it !!!
NOT a fan of moth balls !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #16

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will try them out. I had similar troubles in my previous trailer. No mice for 20 years of ownership. Then felt like I was over run. The mice had started to come through the fridge roof vent after chewing through the aluminum mesh. They were also getting in through the fridge access panel on the back of the trailer. In another one I owned they managed to come through an opening around one of the vent stack caps. Once I found all the access points the issues were resolved.

I have tried dryer sheets (they used for nesting materials), tried peppermint oil on cotton balls (but again they used the cotton balls as nesting materials.

These appear to be very stubborn mice, ammune to smell, and they are deer mice, not field mice.

Will try these suggestions on locating access points.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:22 AM   #17

alfina,,,
How are they getting on the roof,,, maybe cure that problem ???
Old 06-19-2015, 06:57 AM   #18

I had one mouse in my trailer and it entered through the propane hose inlet. I inadvertingly left the cap flipped up and it crawled in. I've not had another issue.

When storing the trailer I spread "cloves" around the inside of the trailer (on small foil plates) and outside the trailer and have never had a mouse in the trailer over the winter.

Who knows if it works.......I have not had a wolverine in the trailer either. Cloves must keep them away as well

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #19

Not sure about that Dave,,, This Wolverine loves Clove,,, use it in my Teriyaki !!!
Old 06-19-2015, 07:53 AM   #20
Site Team

Get some essential oil of peppermint ( not peppermint oil used for cooking) put 2-3 cotton balls in an old mug or glass and add a few drops of peppermint oil. Mice and spiders do not like it. It also makes the camper smell fresh and dissipates quickly once opened up. You can drive yourself crazy trying to find the holes mice get in. They don't need much of a hole. Please do not use mouse/rat poison as it causes them to be very thirsty before they die. The leave the camper to find water and can be eaten by hawks and owls who are then poisoned.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer