Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #1

Motor clicks when slide finished

Another question about our trailer.....specifically the slides.

When we put in the slides on our old trailer, the motors would just "turn off" at the end regardless of whether for not you still had the switch depressed. In our new one (2017 Coachmen Chaparral 392MBL) the motor makes a clicking sound like gears jumping when the slide is completely in.

Is the normal or COMPLETELY bad and catastrophic to the motor? I understand you can't leave it to continually click but is one or two really bad? The guy who did the delivery yesterday said we should NEVER allow this to happen despite the fact he was not able to avoid it either. That being said, he was over the top out to lunch with some of the stuff he said so that way I am asking.

Sorry if it's been asked before but all I could find with the search and on Google were issues with the motors clicking and not coming in at all.
Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #2

It is normal and no it does not hurt it.
Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
Another question about our trailer.....specifically the slides.

When we put in the slides on our old trailer, the motors would just "turn off" at the end regardless of whether for not you still had the switch depressed. In our new one (2017 Coachmen Chaparral 392MBL) the motor makes a clicking sound like gears jumping when the slide is completely in.

Is the normal or COMPLETELY bad and catastrophic to the motor? I understand you can't leave it to continually click but is one or two really bad? The guy who did the delivery yesterday said we should NEVER allow this to happen despite the fact he was not able to avoid it either. That being said, he was over the top out to lunch with some of the stuff he said so that way I am asking.

Sorry if it's been asked before but all I could find with the search and on Google were issues with the motors clicking and not coming in at all.
The guy who did the delivery is an idiot. You know the slide is all the way out or in when it clicks. Thats literally HOW you know its all the way in or out.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #4

That's what I thought but, like I said, I could not find anything that said it was OK. That, coupled with his reaction when he did it made me feel that this will strip the gears and/or kill the motor. Glad to hear a click or two is completely fine and normal!!!

Thx for all the help
Old 04-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
Pockets

Watch the slide as it is going out. It is slighted tilted down. Once it gets near the end of its slide, the top stays put and the bottom goes out a little more to level it. At this point get ready to let the button go. When you hear it click. let it go. The opposite does the same so that slide top water drains put before it comes back in. I usually let it click once before I let go opf the button.
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg 2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(174 nights) 2018(157 nights) 2019(79 nights) 2020(108 nights)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #6

We have 3 slides on our unit. The dining area clicks at full in, full out. The dealer advised we should hold the switch until it clicks 3 times. It will not harm the mechanism. It will also keep the motors in sync. But then we asked about the back two that did not click and were told they were not supposed to, but to keep the switch depressed for 3 seconds after the motors stop. We have not had issues with any of them. We were also told that it is better not to stop them at any point in between.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #7

The clicking you hear is normal, and does not hurt/damage the motor at all. The clicking is actually the "clutch" part of the motor/gear unit. When it is clicking it is letting you know the the slide is out and the gear has ceased to turn. Without that clutch kicking in at the end of the track, the motor/gear would just keep turning, stripping the gears.
Our Lexi has 3 slides that all do the same thing. I let them click for 3-5 times each. 5 years old now with hundreds of cycles, and no problems at all.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #8

You should always stop before it clicks then you'll be able to worry if ths slide is all the way out.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
You should always stop before it clicks then you'll be able to worry if ths slide is all the way out.

I really have no idea how you could ever actually accomplish this....I've literally tried several times before posting here and was only somewhat successful once. That being said, after confirmation, the slide was not "completely" in and still had an inch or two to go. As such, the "clutch" comment makes 100% sense to me
Old 04-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #10

You pretty much want to hear that clicking noise. It is telling you that the slide is out all the way. If you try to guess and stop the slide before you hear it, the slide will not be at the end of its travel.
, either extending it out or retracting it in. Both ways, you WANT to hear that clicking noise.
The clicking IS the sound of a properly operating slide out motor/gear/clutch assembly. If you DON'T hear it, then you may have a problem , like a stripped gear or bad motor/clutch.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Keep in mind, there are several styles of slide out mechanisms.
Some click, some don't so the same rules don't apply for all.
Different mechanisms could be installed in the same rig.
My brother's TT has one slide that clicks and one that doesn't.

But yes, as has been mentioned, one or two clicks on the slides that have clutches is perfectly normal.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
I really have no idea how you could ever actually accomplish this....I've literally tried several times before posting here and was only somewhat successful once. That being said, after confirmation, the slide was not "completely" in and still had an inch or two to go. As such, the "clutch" comment makes 100% sense to me
Don't worry about that comment. I assume jtesta1 is trying to be funny since he wrote "then you'll be able to worry...." which is funny if not misread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #13

Schwintek slides stop automatically and the switch should be held for an extra 3-5 seconds in/out, this keeps the drive motors in sync. The rack and pinion slides do click, sounds like a ratchet if your slow or hard of hearing, one or two clicks is OK in/out.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #14

Slide drive clicking

Our Wildcat slide drive has a clutch disk with detents and ball bearing that click out of detent when at full retract for protection. All should OK to bring it in until you hear the clicking and stop then
Burk
Burk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #15

Think of it like a drill chuck. You set it to a specific torque number. When it gets there it clicks but doesn't turn the screw any more. Doesn't harm the drill. Meant to do that.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
We have 3 slides on our unit. The dining area clicks at full in, full out. The dealer advised we should hold the switch until it clicks 3 times. It will not harm the mechanism. It will also keep the motors in sync. But then we asked about the back two that did not click and were told they were not supposed to, but to keep the switch depressed for 3 seconds after the motors stop. We have not had issues with any of them. We were also told that it is better not to stop them at any point in between.
Right ON PenJoe !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #17

The clicking you hear when the slide is fully extended or fully retracted is from a torque-limiting clutch that is designed specifically to prevent damage to the motor and/or gear train that drives the slide mechanism. It is normal to hear clicking like that whenever you extend or retract your slide(s). The technician who told you otherwise was simply not well trained. Avoid that dealership in the future, if you can!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
The clicking you hear when the slide is fully extended or fully retracted is from a torque-limiting clutch that is designed specifically to prevent damage to the motor and/or gear train that drives the slide mechanism. It is normal to hear clicking like that whenever you extend or retract your slide(s). The technician who told you otherwise was simply not well trained. Avoid that dealership in the future, if you can!!

Thanks for the explanation, that makes total sense. I kind of though it was something like that as it would be counterintuitive for the dealer to make a motor that would be damaged by it.

Fortunately, it was not a technician who told me to avoid the clicking noise, it was the old guy the dealer hired to "walk" you though your new trailer.....I took it all with a rather large grain of salt but wanted to be sure just in case!!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #19

2 Different Slide Mechanisms

My Crusader has 2 different slide mechanisms. The kitchen and dinette slides require a click or two to tell you they are all the way in or out. The bedroom slide stops automatically when extended or retracted. My thought is the auto type are for the smaller slides. Don't know that for sure but that was my impression.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
My Crusader has 2 different slide mechanisms. The kitchen and dinette slides require a click or two to tell you they are all the way in or out. The bedroom slide stops automatically when extended or retracted. My thought is the auto type are for the smaller slides. Don't know that for sure but that was my impression.
Our Sunseeker 2500TS is that way,,, I believe the Dinning Set is ele,,, it clicks & the Wardrobe and the bed are Hydraulic no clicking ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide