Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2016, 11:33 PM   #1

Mounting TV in front of couch 320BHDSLE

Hello! I've just taken delivery of a new 2017 Freedom Express Liberty Edition 320BHDSLE travel trailer. This is my third camper having had a Dutchmen Tundra 27FB-DSL since 2009 and a KZ Sportsman Coyote before that. Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase and am happy to say that overall build quality seems to be pretty decent. I have seen the typical stuff but nothing that upsets me too badly. I tried to do as through a PDI as possible and had a few small issues fixed before taking delivery and am pleased that the dealer did a good job resolving the noticed issues.

For those not familiar, the 320BHD places the TV in the kitchen area near the dinette requiring you to turn your head to watch TV if you're sitting on the couch. The TV is far enough away from the couch that it's not really a very good location IMHO. That was my one dislike about the camper, but my family and I loved everything else so I decided that I would mount another TV on the wall opposite the couch. My plan was to remove the phone charging station that was mounted on the wall (thinking it probably had an AC power source I could tap for the TV). Well, my camper arrived with mid-year model changes, no phone charging station on the wall, skylight over the dinette omitted, smaller fireplace but bigger cabinets below the existing TV (which is actually a good thing because we really didn't want the fireplace but did want the bigger refrigerator) plus some other minor changes. Anyway, I pulled the central control panel to see if I could see any AC wiring in the wall but it all appears to be exclusively DC. The closest power outlet is in the bathroom on the far wall away from where I'm mounting the TV so tapping that circuit is really not a good option, especially if you consider that GFCI circuit is also tied to the outside outlet(s). My preference is to either pull a new circuit from the power center or to tie into a non-GFCI circuit. I understand I'm unlikely to get wiring diagrams from Coachmen but I have contacted Steve Brandenberger by email from a post I found here in hopes that he can at least direct me to a viable power source for my new TV. I plan to leave the provided TV in it's current location so my kids can watch it in the bunk house. It'll stay turned toward the bunks pretty much permanently, so my wife is looking for a picture to hang on the back side to give the camper more of a homey look. I'm also hoping to tie into the antenna if I can find the coax to break out a connection.

It's odd to me that Coachmen hasn't located the TV on that wall - it seems like a no-brainer to put a TV in front of the couch instead of on the far side of the camper. I found other brands with very similar floor plans but none were at nice as the Freedom Express (after LOTS of shopping around).

Sorry for the long first post! I'd like to have this done before our first trip in a few weeks.

Thank you in advance!
GeoffP
GeoffP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #2

We also have a 320BHDSLE and totally agree. Love the camper but horrible TV placement. From what we've found it's pretty much impossible for the entire family to watch TV without someone blocking the view of another. I'll be following your thread for sure.
Nosedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #3

I mounted the extra tv in the front bedroom instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv.jpg
Views:	1676
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	117958  
Old 08-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

I plan to mount one in the bedroom too. Did you mount yours to the exterior wall or the wall adjoining the bathroom? I meant to ask the dealer but forgot in the commotion trying to get my nit-pick list fixed.

Doh - forgot about the slider door, obviously mounted to exterior wall.

GeoffP
Old 08-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #5

Tv

I have a freedom express and just installed a 16.5 tv mount swivel arm that takes care of that problem
jeffreyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #6

I think I've got it figured out but still hoping someone who's done this modification will chime in with some details before I dive in to this project.

Thanks
GeoffP
Old 08-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #7

I know nothing about running your wire but if you get it to a GFCI outlet you can pick up your power on the line side of the outlet rather than the load side. This way you would still have power even if the GFCI tripped.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #8

I emailed Steve at Forest River and got a reply asking for my VIN then nothing after I provided my VIN. Thought maybe I was going to get the info I needed but nothing yet. I'll follow up tomorrow to see if I can encourage a response. I'm still gathering the items I need to do a nice install, mount, wall plate, and cabling. I'll shoot some pictures when it's done.

Geoff

Tags
mount