Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #1

(Need Advice) Multiple problems with Coachmen

I, too, am new at the forum and I come humbly asking for any and all advice or direction anyone can give. We bought a 2015 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 343RLTS on June 21, 2014. It went back to shop July 19th and came home and returned to shop July 21st. We seriously do feel as if we bought a lemon. Dealer tried to fix our slides which are both leaking when driven in rain. They did the repair per Coachmen instructions which was to lower wiper seal an inch. It did not work so Coachmen is now sending a new & improved seal to be installed. My question is, "What if this doesn't work??" Can we only pull our rv on sunny days?? This is a nightmare. There are so many issues on this rv. It should have never left the factory. And, these are issues that we could not see during our pdi.
I have e-mailed the president of Coachmen, the head of quality control and the CEO of Priority 1, Forest River's financial company. All with no response. I totally understand Roger's frustration. Paying big bucks for an rv that is unusable is not right.
LindyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
Site Team

We certainly can feel your frustration. Hopefully FR will make this right. Maybe other members can offer advice?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #3

I had a leak in my 2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS. Water was being thrown in off the tires at the front edge of the slide. There was a gap in the front corner of slide which is apparently common. The dealer knew just what to look for. They applied silicone sealer to the gap and has been ok since.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #4

I really hate to say this, but I will. After you've bought 8-10 new RV's ranging from 40' diesel pushers (3), Class B Sprinter based MH, 2 travel trailers, etc, etc, you'll realize this is the nature of the beast (RV Industry).
This is the mentality of the RV Industry, get it out the door and let the Dealer/purchaser deal with the defects. You'll either need to mentally adjust to "that's the way it is" or find another form of entertainment.

PS- I'm a long time QC manager so it rubs me the wrong way too--big time! I've just accepted that the 1st year is going to be a pain in the rear and work my way through it.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #5

If this were the very first rv we've owned, I might feel that way, but we have had two other brand new ones ---some minor issues, but nothing like this!!
Old 07-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I really hate to say this, but I will. After you've bought 8-10 new RV's ranging from 40' diesel pushers (3), Class B Sprinter based MH, 2 travel trailers, etc, etc, you'll realize this is the nature of the beast (RV Industry).
This is the mentality of the RV Industry, get it our the door and let the Dealer/purchaser deal with the defects. You'll either need to mentally adjust to "that's the way it is" or find another form of entertainment.

PS- I'm a long time QC manager so it rubs me the wrong way too--big time! I've just accepted that the 1st year is going to be a pain in the rear and work my way through it.
you nailed it
Old 07-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyLu View Post
I have e-mailed the president of Coachmen, the head of quality control and the CEO of Priority 1, Forest River's financial company. All with no response. I totally understand Roger's frustration. Paying big bucks for an rv that is unusable is not right.
LindyLu, I hate to hear when customers have this happen to them in the purchase of faulty products.

Can I ask, what the CEO of the financial division will be able to do in this, since that person wouldn't be involved in the manufacture of the RV or in the repair of defects?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:34 AM   #8

Because, wmtire, Priority 1 is owned by Forest River and the CEO is a vp and part owner of Forest River. They are the first ones who were called in the buying process and arranged financing. I have done my homework. When having problems and considering litigation, it is advised that you make your lender aware of the situation.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:22 AM   #9
Incheon, S. Korea

I didn't pay for an expensive unit (I bought a pop-up) but the trailer shouldn't have left the factory in the condition it was in-the roof was 1 3/8" longer than the box!
Coachmen seems to have more problems than other FR brands. Why? I don't know.
Good luck.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:28 AM   #10

I've owned 3 different brands. All same low quality construction. A sad "normal" in the RV world
Old 07-24-2014, 05:42 AM   #11
Alleged curmudgeon

Dealer should be your advocate first...

From your post, it seems to me that you may be jumping the gun in writing everyone at Coachmen before the bigger and better seal can be installed. Don't assume it won't work. That sort of worry will eat you up. And don't panic. Your experience to date is not as bad as it may seem just now. It definitely sounds like you bought a product which has a flaw that must be addressed; however, it also seems that both your dealer and the manufacturer have been responsive in attempting to do so. From what you describe, they have not given up trying to help, nor has the second prescribed "fix" either been applied or failed yet. Sounds as much like a potential customer service success story in the making as a lawsuit at this point. I know it is frustrating. Hang in there, and document your attempts to work through this, but don't think everyone is your enemy (yet). Hopefully, with your dealer's continued assistance, the fix will be determined and applied and you will be back in the game without these worries. Stay after them, but remember they are trying to help resolve the problem. Hope you are back on the road soon. Best wishes!
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:10 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Well stated Vern.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:01 AM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
Have you joined the Coachmen Owners Association, you have
a voice over there if you are a member. They have helped
many Coachmen owners and are a direct link to the MFG.

But as someone said let the dealer 1st try to fix the problem
and then if not then complain but give them a chance at
least to try
W5KAV
Last years Camping 125 days
This years Camping 150 an still going
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #14

contacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
LindyLu, I hate to hear when customers have this happen to them in the purchase of faulty products.

Can I ask, what the CEO of the financial division will be able to do in this, since that person wouldn't be involved in the manufacture of the RV or in the repair of defects?
Of all the e-mails I sent to different executives of Coachmen and Forest River, the only one to respond was a lady from Priority 1, the finance company owned by Forest River and she was so helpful and understanding.

Tags
problems, coachmen