Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #1

New 293RLDSLE

Hi folks,

We presently have a Rockwood 8314BSS about 3 years old that the roof (and my truck) was hit pretty hard in a hail storm about a month ago. Insurance has paid off and we have been struggling on our options. Insurance company valued it at $20,500. We had a dealer offer us $14,000 trade in on a 293 RLDSLE (without telling him there was hail damage.) that got us our bottom end value. Yes I know that we could sell it ourself for more than 14k but that is not the issue. What we decided to do is shop it to the dealer as damaged and let them worry about the repairs of replacing the roof. He offered us $7k trade in with damaged roof. I figure they can repair it for 7 to 10k and still have enough margin to make a profit on selling it. Now on to the good part. By them giving us $7k for it and with our insurance check we will have in the neighborhood of 20k to put in on the 293. I was just having a problem putting that much money into a trailer that was only worth (in trade) what we were putting into it.

Not sure I made it clear....

Anyway, after going on 4 years in the Rockwood and learning a lot about its weaknesses and strengths I was wondering what anyone here might have to say about Freedom Express in general and what any 293 owners might think.

I have done enough research to learn that Coachmen was bought out by Forest River and I also know that Coachmen runs their operation a little different. Example: Rockwood offered a 1 year factory warranty extension for a small fee that gave you 2 years total. I understand that Coachmen does not offer this.

The Rockwood group was great and I got a lot of help on their forum and I anticipate the same here on Coachman.

So, for my first question: are the weight specs on Coachmen as far off as they are on Rockwood? Example: our tongue weight was listed as 967 pounds and loaded up it is in the neighborhood of 1150 pounds. I always had a hard time believing that the battery and gas in two bottles weighed that much.
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #2

I would like to clarify this write up a little. When my wife read it she said it made me sound like a crook. So to clarify........

We found the Coachmen Freedom Express 293 RLDS at an East Texas dealer and got his trade in value based on it being in good condition. After settling with the insurance company (they almost totaled our Rockwood but did not) we went back and advised them it had been in a hailstorm and asked if they were interested in trading for it as is. They said yes and gave us a trade in value of $7000.00. The insurance company valued it retail at $20,500. I think and they think that they can replace the roof for an amount that will allow them to turn a profit on it.

So, for us it prevented us from having to wait for repairs and with the insurance check we actually came out with more money as a trade. I think it is a win for them as they also sold a new RV and it is a certainly a win for us financially as we received more to put in on the new RV.

Boy I am getting long winded and confusing as I get old!!!!

So, we did the swap yesterday afternoon. It was about 90 miles from our house to them, Welcome Back RV Outlet in Athens, Texas. We pulled the Rockwood down there and the Coachmen back. More history: Rockwood listed as around 7000 pounds dry and Coachmen listed as 8200 dry. Rockwood tongue weight listed at 969 and Coachmen listed at 989. So I have an increase of some 1200 pounds and a slight increase on tongue weight.

Another controversy and this is a big one over on the Rockwood forum. I pull with a Toyota Tundra with 5.7 engine and the way mine is set up with a gross trailer weight limit of 10,400 pounds. Power has never been a problem. Stopping has not either although I certainly knew the Rockwood was back there. I am closer to my limits than I would have liked but still maybe 1000 pounds under. I do have to watch tongue weight though and I actually bought a tongue scale. Both the Rockwood and the Coachmen tongue weight is actually around 1150 pounds. With "junk" and our bodies in the truck we are pretty close to gross. Maybe a 3/4 ton is in my future some day.

Now the really good news. Pulling the Coachmen home yesterday was great and it certainly did not feel heavier than the Rockwood. I was very adamant yesterday about my hitch set up. I am reusing my Equalizer brand hitch that is rated at 12,500/1250 pounds. Long story (again). When we bought the Rockwood the dealer did a HORRIBLE job setting it up. In fact, I pulled it off their lot with a 10,000/1000 pound hitch and the rear of my truck dropping 2.5 inches and the front rising 1.5 inches. I questioned the squat but was just not sure enough about it to make it an issue. And the Rockwood rolling down the highway in a nose down attitude. The truck actually handled it pretty good but I knew it was not right. After pulling it on a few trips and with several good meaning folks questioning my hitch set up I started questioning setup and talking to the Equalizer folks. I weighed the tongue and discovered it at close to 1200 pounds. I first went back to the dealer and after explaining the safety of allowing me to leave their lot with a under rated hitch they exchange the hitch to what I have now at no charge. With Equalizers help I did a couple of hitch adjustments it had it set up pretty close.

So the guys yesterday at Welcome Back RV spent a lot of time moving my hitch over and I must say that based on yesterday's drive back that they did a great job.

I think I have probably lost most of you by now so will stop. I will say that after never spending a night in the 293 yet we love it........

More to come, maybe........

P.S. I am open to any comments or questions here..........
Old 04-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #3

I only have 2 comments....

AND GO
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #4

My opinion is... the old trailer was open for future problems. JMO

I won't comment on the TV/weight stuff other than to say.. safety first.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:50 AM   #5

Thanks for the comments. We have not even spent a night in it yet. We stored the new trailer North of Ft Worth Texas Thursday night and wouldn't you know another another hail storm rolled through that area last night. We will go over and check it in the next day or so and then we have a trip starting in it on Monday so can only hope that we do not have damage this time. Hail stones are marble size this time. The ones that did our Rockwood in were baseball size. I will also be checking into covered parking at the storage lot.