Old 01-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

New Apex 279RLSS

Purchasing a new 279RLSS we saw at the Greenville SC RV show. Love the floor plan. Had a trouble free Crossroads Slingshot for 5 years. Needed a bit more room...the slide on the Apex makes a big big difference.

I welcome any feedback on experience with this model or Apex in general. Any persistent issues or significant problems to be aware of?

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #2

Welcome and congrats on your new Apex 279RLSS.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #3

We bought our 288bhs in Dec, have camped once and visit it often just to dream! Everything on ours has worked well, it towed like a champ, and spring can't get here fast enough. We certainly enjoy the space, and i feel the quality of the materials is very good. So much storage room too. Maybe we got very lucky, hope you are as well. :thumbup:

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #4

Bunkhouse 288BHS

Nice set up. Its just my wife and I and 3 small dogs, so BH not needed. We will pick it up in a couple of weeks. Our dealer sold 40 rigs at the RV show and they are slammed to get them PDI's done and delivered. We asked for some adds...WDH and sway control, slide topper, black tank rinse, and cable outlet in the bedroom. Probably won't get a shakedown trip until Feb or so.

I see you have a F150 EB. Read a lot of good things about that configuration. How did it do with the 288BHS? I'm pulling with a GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L. At 5400 lbs dry weight, I don't anticipate any issues. The test will be in the Blue Ridge and Smokies where we camp most frequently.

Where you at in Texas...we lived in Cypress near Houston for 10 years until we retire here in the Upstate of SC. Loved camping in the Hill Country.

All the best,

Toni
Old 01-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #5

We got an Eaz-Lift Trekker 1000 WDH installed at the PDI time, and we didn't even know we had the trailer behind us! We also had fun with the newly installed electronic brake control (wasn't pre-installed on the truck) until we got it lined out - a few jerks and abrupt halts, all in the learning curve. The truck handled very well.

The TV and TT were purchased a week apart, so we are a bit unfamiliar with this type of towing. We have had a StarCraft Starmaster pop-up for 15 years, towing with a Blazer, then a Trailblazer, and this seems much smoother by far. The truck is the 3.5 Ecoboost with the 3.15 gear ratio.

We are south of Fort Worth in Mansfield, nice little town getting bigger all the time tho. Love SC, my parents are in Anderson.

Regards, Carolyn

2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Old 01-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #6

Eaz Lift and owners manual.

Bunkhouse, I had Eaz Lift on my last trailers and it worked great. Getting one with the new trailer and adding anti sway.

BTW, did you get an owners manual with yours? Called dealer...want to read over since we don't get the TT until Jan 27. Dealer says only documents are the add ons, appliances, awning, etc. Nothing on the basic trailer...how the plumbing, HVAC, electrical etc all work. My last Trailer, a Crossroads has a booklet to outline operating and maintaining details.

Thanks,

Toni
Old 01-15-2015, 09:17 PM   #7

Hey Toni,

There is a very generic manual we got with all the assorted appliance etc stuff. Looks like this pic.

Also, they can be downloaded as a pdf at

Coachmen RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes

(I'm new at this forum posting biz, hope they come out right)

One problem we had at PDI, they did not have us fill out the warranty cards while there, and that is kinda a big deal, because we would now have to pull out the microwave to get the serial number, stuff like that. They DID save us the cardboard part from the AC installation with the number, thank God we don't have to crawl on the roof! There are many PDI threads here I wished I'd read before going to pick up, the devil is definitely in the details, and all the advice you find here is really spot-on. Make them demonstrate every function. We have yet to run the AC, for instance, since its been so dang cold. Heat runs great though. We have a storage unit pull-though with power that has been very helpful, we go out every weekend and test something different to learn about it. This weekend we are checking window and slide-out seals, maybe some muffins in the oven. Only way we are keeping our sanity!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150115_193345.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	68454  

2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Old 01-15-2015, 09:54 PM   #8

Owners manual

Bunkhouse, thanks for the info. I just found the manual on the Internet and saved it. I also found some videos under Forest River>Coachman>Travel Trailers>Videos. Mostly generic, but can be helpful.

I have a PDI list and plan to follow it closely when we go over the unit with the Tech. I will also make a video of the significant points. Did that with my last trailer...and it was helpful throughout our time with it.

Just FYI...a few of great RV camps we really liked...Garner State Park in Concan, TX, Buckhorn RV Resort near Kerrville TX and Inks Lake in Burnet, TX. All in the Hill Country. The state parks were great...Buckhorn was more an upscale camp.

Happy Trails