Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #1

New Coachmen TT and Equalizer Hitch question

Hi All, It's been awhile since I've been on the forum. Looks like it's still a great source for info.

We're upgrading from our Roo 23SS to a Coachmen 281RLDSLE. We currently are using the Equalizer Hitch on the Roo and I'm wondering if it will fit on the Coachmen unit with the spare tire mounted under the A frame. From pics, it appears that the spare does not protrude out the the underside of the frame and the brackets should fit for the Equalizer bars.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Jim
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:19 AM   #2

Your hitch you are currently using may not be the appropriate weight rating for the new trailer. You have to determine what your tongue weight is first. Then use or purchase the proper hitch. For example I use a 12000 Lb / 1200 lb EQUALIZER 4 POINT HITCH when towing my freedom Express 310BHDS. My tongue weight is around 1100 pounds loaded for camping. I am assuming that your trailer tongue weight will probably be around a thousand pounds due to the size of your trailer. You will have to confirm that by weighing the trailer and taking 15% of the total trailer weight to determine the hitch weight. Good luck and happy camping.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:31 AM   #3
ysidive

Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
Hi All, It's been awhile since I've been on the forum. Looks like it's still a great source for info.

We're upgrading from our Roo 23SS to a Coachmen 281RLDSLE. We currently are using the Equalizer Hitch on the Roo and I'm wondering if it will fit on the Coachmen unit with the spare tire mounted under the A frame. From pics, it appears that the spare does not protrude out the the underside of the frame and the brackets should fit for the Equalizer bars.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Jim
I have a 281rlds and I use an equalizer hitch with no problem.. The spare does not interfere with the placement of the hitch...I weighed the tongue weight with a tongue weight scale and it is 950 pounds of tongue weight with the lp tanks full and 2 batteries and gear loaded in the storage compartment... Make sure your hitch is the proper rating....
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #4

The rv dealer had to drop the spare and move it back slightly when transferring my E2 to my coachmen. After watching them struggle putting the spare back on, the first thing I did when I got home was to remove it and put it in the front storage.
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysidive View Post
I have a 281rlds and I use an equalizer hitch with no problem.. The spare does not interfere with the placement of the hitch...I weighed the tongue weight with a tongue weight scale and it is 950 pounds of tongue weight with the lp tanks full and 2 batteries and gear loaded in the storage compartment... Make sure your hitch is the proper rating....
Currently we have the 1000/10K rated Equalizer. Thinking we would have 900 to 950 lbs of tongue weight as well.
Thanks!
Old 09-09-2018, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Your hitch you are currently using may not be the appropriate weight rating for the new trailer. You have to determine what your tongue weight is first. Then use or purchase the proper hitch. For example I use a 12000 Lb / 1200 lb EQUALIZER 4 POINT HITCH when towing my freedom Express 310BHDS. My tongue weight is around 1100 pounds loaded for camping. I am assuming that your trailer tongue weight will probably be around a thousand pounds due to the size of your trailer. You will have to confirm that by weighing the trailer and taking 15% of the total trailer weight to determine the hitch weight. Good luck and happy camping.
Likely going to tow from the dealer with the existing hitch 10000 lb / 1000 lb Equalizer 4 point hitch. I'll get trailer weighed after we load up and see where we're at with the tongue weight. Unloaded the 281RLDSLE has 821 lbs of tongue weight so I may have to move up a range on the hitch.
Thanks!
Old 09-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #7
ysidive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
Likely going to tow from the dealer with the existing hitch 10000 lb / 1000 lb Equalizer 4 point hitch. I'll get trailer weighed after we load up and see where we're at with the tongue weight. Unloaded the 281RLDSLE has 821 lbs of tongue weight so I may have to move up a range on the hitch.
Thanks!
How do you know that it has 821 lbs of tongue weight..?
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
The rv dealer had to drop the spare and move it back slightly when transferring my E2 to my coachmen. After watching them struggle putting the spare back on, the first thing I did when I got home was to remove it and put it in the front storage.
The next thing to do is buy and install a spare tire "Cable Lift " that should have been installed to begin with! Youroo! !
Old 09-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysidive View Post
How do you know that it has 821 lbs of tongue weight..?
That's just the listed unloaded tongue weight in the specs. I know it will certainly be more than that.

Tags
coachmen, equalizer, hitch