Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #1

New Freedom Express Owner PDI Advice

We are in the process of buying our first trailer, a 2017 Freedom Express 257BHS, and have our PDI scheduled in a couple of days. I've been reading everything I can, and we know that there will likely be issues with the trailer as with all new ones. I also know we should do a very thorough inspection and try everything before we accept delivery. Is there anything in particular that we should pay special attention to? We will also be appreciative of all advice and suggestions for new RVers. Thanks!
Haloh-a-gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #2

New Freedom Express Owner PDI Advice

Don't rush the PDI. Get them to show you every system and how they work. If you have a slide out have them explain manual operation.

Ps: make sure you get the specific operating manuals for all your appliances, etc. coachman also provides a generic manual. Most of that manual will apply to your RV.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Take videos of anything that you find confusing. Ask for the FR 2nd yr warranty. Take your time. It's your money make sure you are comfortable and get anything you don't want to fix yourself repaired before you sign anything. You will enjoy your Freedom Express.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #4

There's not a second year warranty on Coachman products.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #5
Some guy in back...

Smile PDI Checklist

I'm the author of one of the PDI checklists in the Library and I encourage you to take a look at it or the other list we have there.

I think they are a good way to focus your thinking about the PDI process and gives you a chance to control the way the PDI is conducted and take it at your own speed. If not, it will probably go by all too fast and be a blur when you go to actually use your trailer.

As home work, I think you are doing the right thing to read up on what you will encounter. If you are more of a visual person, there are LOTS of clips on YouTube that can take you through the process.

Finally, I'd like to suggest you think of the PDI as having two parts that can come together.

First there is the "Inspection" part. Is everything present in the trailer that you expected? Are the colors correct? Is everything clean and orderly? Are moldings and furniture ok, no exposed nails, no water damage. Do things look "right". Get the build sheet and keep it for reference.

Second is the "Demonstration" part. Being shown that EVERYTHING in the trailer works and that you know how to make it work. All the windows, all the faucets, all the drains, all the slide outs, all the lights, the entertainment system, all the drawers and cabinet doors, EVERYTHING, inside and outside.

I talk more about all of the above in my PDI checklist. Use it or something else you like, do the PDI in an orderly manner, take notes (doing a video recording while you are trying to listen and learn can be tough, but if works for you, great!) and you'll do fine

Cheers!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
Insert witty title here

Bring a DVD to test the DVD player.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
Just A Member

Join the Coachmen Owners Association and then sign up for the rally next year in Goshen Indiana. Since you only get a 1 year warranty it will be your best way to get anything fixed by the people who built it. You can also tour the factory and see how it was made. Next year you can get a 2 for one since Coachmen and FROG both will have their rally's in Goshen with the same factory service available. COA is in June and FROG is in August. Anything that can wait to be fixed I would have done at either of these rally's.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #8

I agree with the others take you time. We spent 4 hours doing ours. Inform your dealer of what you intentions are. We did and it helped them schedule the time we needed to inspect the trailer. The lady who did ours with us said in all her years she never saw anybody be as thorough as us. Just some ideas

Tell the you want access to water and electric

First I did a walk around the outside and looked for any cosmetic damage ( found a few)
I brought a dop cloth and climbed under the camper with the slides in and out ( found rusty frame)
I brought my own small propane tank to make sure the grill in the outside kitchen worked
I brought a point and shoot thermometer and told them I wanted the fridges on 24 hour before we got there
Didn't want them to turn on the water heater so I could cycle it between gas and electric
I brought a water bottle and coffee mug to check the microwave
I brought my own long handle light to light the oven
Flash light comes in handy
Bring a dvd cd and blue ray if equipped as well as an iPod to check blue tooth
Check dates on tires and pressure
Get up on the roof and look for damage also look at slides. I brought my own in case the pulled the insurance game and dau I couldn't use there's
Run the heat and ac through a few cycles

Don't sign any paper until you are happy with the PDI. We found one or 2 big items and we actual walked away until it was right. We even got a free blue ox sway pro hitch out of it for our troubles. Once you sign you have no leverage.
Ej1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #9
Site Team

Make sure the water system gets tested.
We didn't and the outside shower valves blew out. And we had a water regulator.
They hadn't been tightened at the factory nor the dealer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom express, pdi