Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #1

New owner Apex Nano 193BHS

Hello, I just purchased a Nano 193BHS and can't wait to start using it!

It looks like the nano's are a new brand, is that true? How long have they been out?

Also it looks like in general Apex is a fairly small manufacturer, or at least there are not a lot of dealers in Oregon. Once the warranty has expired, where should I take it for servicing? My nearest authorized dealer, as far as I can tell, is about 2.5 hours away where I purchased it.

Thank you, I have learned a lot from all of you!!
mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbCik View Post
Hello, I just purchased a Nano 193BHS and can't wait to start using it!

It looks like the nano's are a new brand, is that true? How long have they been out?

Also it looks like in general Apex is a fairly small manufacturer, or at least there are not a lot of dealers in Oregon. Once the warranty has expired, where should I take it for servicing? My nearest authorized dealer, as far as I can tell, is about 2.5 hours away where I purchased it.

Thank you, I have learned a lot from all of you!!
Hi we are seriously considering the Apex Nano 193BHS and would appreciate any feedback you could give. Do you still own it? Did you have any issues with it or need to take it back for repairs/contact dealer for warranty? Would appreciate thoughts on the awning/door, do you extend the awning all the way? THANKS MUCH!!
WI Margbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:02 AM   #3

Hello,

Yes we still have the 193BHS, and we love it! I wouldn't trade it. It's small enough we can go many places but large enough for the five of us to be comfortable.

We have not had any warranty issues either. Sure, a few little things here and there pop up but it's all typical stuff. My parents have a brand new motor home and they have had bigger problems including a cracked ceiling panel.

We've had the 193BHS for about two and a half years. Here are the problems we have had. I won't mention things that were caused by user error.

- During the summer when trailer gets hot, the door is harder to close. Also the deadbolt doesn't quite close all the way due to a slight misalignment. The deadbolt still engages and it's an easy fix, it just hasn't been a priority.

- A few months ago the metal strap that holds up the sewer connection broke. It was a 5 minute $2 fix with plumbers tape.

- On the dinnette, one the top of the seatback, there is a fabric strip. It is just now coming off a little because the screw was put in a little off center. Easy fix, again just not a priority because you can barely tell.

Regarding the canopy, it does not rub on the door as long as the canopy is extended all the way, which is what you would do anyway.

After a year I think I have the outdoor comparments nailed down. I keep the pass through compartment for chairs, fishing rods, life jackets, tows, etc. The rear left compartment I use for all the trailer things like chalks, sway bar, power cord, water hose, etc.

Does that help? I'm happy to answer more questions, we love our trailer! We take it out probably 6-10 times per year.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #4

HUGE THANKS for the great feedback!!!

I don't suppose your camper is outside anywhere that you could extend the awning & take a picture of when the door is open? (u probably can't) I'm thinking they must have changed something recently that this is an issue NOW...(I'm just REALLY hoping our dealer is right and this is an isolated incident and when our's is finally available that it does NOT have this issue).

Have you had the black weather stripping on the slide out getting chewed up at all from the metal gear strip?

Any other feedback of 'improvements' you've done would be awesome :-) This is our first 'new' purchase.... Thanks again!!http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lies/smile.gif
Old 09-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #5

We just purchased an Apex Nano 193 BHS in June as well!

We've had it out about 10 times this year, and have gotten things pretty dialed in.

We've added a slide topper, solar panels, and a kayak rack and it's awesome.

Regarding the main awning rubbing on the front door, I simply don't have the awning extend all the way. It still drains just fine, and I really don't have an issue with it at all!
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:33 AM   #6

No issues with the weather stripping.

When does the door rub on the awning? Mine does rub, but only if you don't extend the awning all the way.

Changes we made were:
1) installed an EMS
2) removed paneling so we can access the seat bench compartments from the kitchen
3) installed a battery disconnect switch
4) installed a dual USB charging outlet above the queen bed
5) modified the closeout panel in the space below the sink. Specifically the space along the floor. This provided a lot more storage space
6) installed eternabond along some of the roof seems just for extra protection

My next couple wish list items are:
A) install battery motion sensing lights in the pass through compartment
B) install a fantastic fan
C) install bubble levels so I can see them easily from the tongue area
D) install a sewer hose storage box to the rear bumper.
E) finish installing eternabond on all roof seams as extra protection
Old 09-15-2017, 02:40 AM   #7

How do you like the solar panels? What price and power rating? Have you used them much? Pics?!?!
Old 09-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbCik View Post
How do you like the solar panels? What price and power rating? Have you used them much? Pics?!?!
We also installed a 6 port USB charger in the headboard... It's amazing.

I don't have any pics of the solar setup right now, but I'll post them maybe Sunday. We're headed out for a trip this weekend.

LOVE the solar panels. I bought two 100W Renogy panels from Amazon, some wiring, and the panels came with a controller. It was about $350 for everything. The solar setup is very straight forward, but the actual install is difficult.

When I ran the wiring I drilled a hole in the roof into the hollow wall between the dinette and the bunks... That was a nail-biting challenge. Running the wiring down the wall was challenging too. But once we got the wiring down the wall, I install the controller next to the CO2 alarm, and wired it directly to the main power supply cable underneath the bottom bunk bed.

We NEVER have to worry about power again, even in cloudier days. On bright sunny days, those things are putting about 13-15 amps back into the batteries. On cloudy days it drops to about 5 amps.... still not bad.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
We just purchased an Apex Nano 193 BHS in June as well!

We've had it out about 10 times this year, and have gotten things pretty dialed in.

We've added a slide topper, solar panels, and a kayak rack and it's awesome.

Regarding the main awning rubbing on the front door, I simply don't have the awning extend all the way. It still drains just fine, and I really don't have an issue with it at all!
Thanks for the feedback on the awning, especially from a new 'owner' :-) That is the only solution service techs have come back with but we don't like that answer because it then makes the awning sag and with any bit of wind the awning will be flapping non-stop. Other issue I have is they had to back it up almost a 3/4 turn and then it makes it difficult to hang anything on the end. Seemed like when we were there viewing it that it made it almost impossible to slide any lights etc in the groove of the cylinder (end where the 'flap' is). The sag is what bothered us more.

WOW you guys are a wealth of info!! I LOVE the idea of being able to get into the dinette storage areas from the kitchen area! Did you just cut the paneling out and if so do you just have it wide open OR did you install some sort of door? Picture(s) would be great!

Regarding more storage under the sink.... I did this on our last camper and loved it. Am a little confused in what you really did though. Did you remove the panels that was inside and manipulate the space better? (?picture)

Sorry what is a "EMS"?

When you both installed USB (it is just a USB outlet right) in the queen headboard, did you simply splice into the electrical running to there?

Why did you install a battery disconnect?

Where did you get the eternabond? Does it come in a tube and is it installed with a caulk gun? Did you run this mainly around ac/roof vent/other openings or did you also install it along the sides?

When u say 'install a fantastic fan' do you mean in the bathroom or in the main area? (and in addition to the ac unit?) You mentioned installing a future 'sewer hose storage compartment', isn't the bumper meant for that? Bubble levels was on our must do list already because we love it our friends camper :-)

What do you guys think of the 'blue' lights, do they bother you? One of our friends camper didn't come with awning lights (Bullet camper) so he installed lights that change color (and has a remote).... Just wondering IF it would be possible to switch it out OR if it would be easier to just install it extra.....

When you mention installing 'battery motion sensing lights' in the pass through compartment, will you be running this off the queen headboard electrical or will it truly be 'battery operated? (this was on our wish list but wasn't sure if it's possible)

When you mentioned you installed a 'slide topper' do you know where you got, how much it was and how hard it was to install?? LOVE this idea!

Thanks a ton!!! (our 'new' camper is still not 'offline', was suppose to be Friday, now hopefully Monday...... Hoping Awning isn't as bad as the unit we saw)
Old 09-25-2017, 10:01 AM   #10

Thanks for the feedback on the awning, especially from a new 'owner' :-) That is the only solution service techs have come back with but we don't like that answer because it then makes the awning sag and with any bit of wind the awning will be flapping non-stop.

Regarding the awning sag, I put a comment in your other post,
and you can PM me if you like!

WOW you guys are a wealth of info!! I LOVE the idea of being able to get into the dinette storage areas from the kitchen area! Did you just cut the paneling out and if so do you just have it wide open OR did you install some sort of door? Picture(s) would be great!

I completely removed the interior paneling. I plan on putting doors up later

Sorry what is a "EMS"?

It's a heavy duty surge protector and electrical regulator.
I don't own one.

When you both installed USB (it is just a USB outlet right) in the queen headboard, did you simply splice into the electrical running to there?

Yep. I just spliced it into 12v power under the bed.

Where did you get the eternabond? Does it come in a tube and is it installed with a caulk gun? Did you run this mainly around ac/roof vent/other openings or did you also install it along the sides?

Eternabond is a roll of tape... an incredible roll of tape.
You can get it on Amazon

What do you guys think of the 'blue' lights, do they bother you? One of our friends camper didn't come with awning lights (Bullet camper) so he installed lights that change color (and has a remote).... Just wondering IF it would be possible to switch it out OR if it would be easier to just install it extra.....

HATE the blue lights. I installed a different color of lights (bought from Amazon)

When you mentioned you installed a 'slide topper' do you know where you got, how much it was and how hard it was to install?? LOVE this idea!

Bought the slide topper on Amazon (you guessed it) and installed it myself. Cost about $250

Thanks a ton!!! (our 'new' camper is still not 'offline', was suppose to be Friday, now hopefully Monday...... Hoping Awning isn't as bad as the unit we saw)
Old 10-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #11

Fellow Apex Nano 193BHS improvement suggestions please

Apex Nano 193BHS.... We finally picked up our new camper on October 11th. Anyone else have the seels rub bad when you open/close the slide? On our's it's the worst at the top on both sides.

Another question I have is I have desperately been trying to find/buy a ONE piece sink cover. Does anyone know what model/make our sink is? OR IF you have bought a ONE piece cover where you got it (stock no would be great!).

Have any of you bought an awning anchor for both sides of the awning? We only got to take our camper out once before putting it in winter storage (and hubs had to get up during the night to put the awning in because it was windy.)

Wondering IF anyone knows a stock no of a slide awning that works with our Nano. We have massive amounts of leaves/pine needles on the top of our's when we tried packing up and it was not easy cleaning it off. THANKS MUCH!!!!
Old 10-30-2017, 04:28 PM   #12

Anyone else have the seals rub bad when you open/close the slide? On our's it's the worst at the top on both sides.

First of all, CONGRATS!!!! I hope you're having a blast.
To answer your question about the slide seals. They are absolutely supposed to rub on the side of the slideout. Those form a seal to keep the weather out.
If you're still concerned about them, send a picture so we can look at what you're talking about.

Another question I have is I have desperately been trying to find/buy a ONE piece sink cover. Does anyone know what model/make our sink is? OR IF you have bought a ONE piece cover where you got it (stock no would be great!).

I want one of these as well, and we've been unsuccessful in finding one. I've been planning on buying a large plastic cutting board and cutting it to fit.

Have any of you bought an awning anchor for both sides of the awning? We only got to take our camper out once before putting it in winter storage (and hubs had to get up during the night to put the awning in because it was windy.)

I would heavily recommend NOT doing awning anchors. If you anchor it to the ground you may be superficially anchoring it, but if a stiff wind comes up, it will damage the awning more than if you just had it extended. There are different types of awnings that the anchors work better with, but I don't think ours is not one of them. If you think it will be breezy at night, just retract it, and extend it again in the morning. (It is motorized after all.)

Wondering IF anyone knows a stock no of a slide awning that works with our Nano. We have massive amounts of leaves/pine needles on the top of our's when we tried packing up and it was not easy cleaning it off. THANKS MUCH!!!!

The slideout cover we purchase was a Lippert Components V000165062 Solera Black 7.5' Slider. It fits perfectly. You can purchase it on Amazon by clicking HERE.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
Anyone else have the seals rub bad when you open/close the slide? On our's it's the worst at the top on both sides.

[COLOR="Red"]First of all, CONGRATS!!!! I hope you're having a blast.
To answer your question about the slide seals. They are absolutely supposed to rub on the side of the slideout. Those form a seal to keep the weather out.
If you're still concerned about them, send a picture so we can look at what you're talking about.

I don't mean the flat seal against slide, I mean the D or O shaped seal that seals unit when the slide is 'in'. It's getting chewed up by the metal on both sides (has it on top and bottom but it's chewing the worst at the top on both sides.

I want one of these as well, and we've been unsuccessful in finding one. I've been planning on buying a large plastic cutting board and cutting it to fit.

Uggg.... I thought I found one today (Lippert 306192 BUT the 14 3/8" is too short for the measurement of 15-15.25 of the actual opening :-( ) A cutting board would be thicker than I was hoping for... wondering about other material..... I can't even figure out what sink we really have, can't read the label under the sink :-(

I would heavily recommend NOT doing awning anchors. If you anchor it to the ground you may be superficially anchoring it, but if a stiff wind comes up, it will damage the awning more than if you just had it extended. There are different types of awnings that the anchors work better with, but I don't think ours is not one of them. If you think it will be breezy at night, just retract it, and extend it again in the morning. (It is motorized after all.)

We were just really concerned because of the stupid Awning issue the Manufacturer just doesn't seem to care to fix/resolve, we have to not extend the awning all the way and that makes the awning extend up a bit more and thus the wind catches it more :-(

The slideout cover we purchase was a Lippert Components V000165062 Solera Black 7.5' Slider. It fits perfectly. You can purchase it on Amazon by clicking HERE.
Do you own a Apex Nano 193BHS? The link above is great except it doesn't show how it's attached to the actual camper? Are you a regular DIY, if so was it very hard to install? Thanks again!
Old 10-30-2017, 05:39 PM   #14

Yes, I do own the 193 BHS. The kit that I mentioned for the slide topper contains all of the hardware to attach it to the camper wall. I actually installed it myself. The instructions in the kit are written well.

Regarding the slide out seals... I've not had this issue, but I've seen other people put a heavy vinyl tape strip on just the inside of that D shaped seal to prevent that issue from happening.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:48 PM   #15

We have a 2014 Apex 18bh. They were out just before the Nanos. We love our little trailer, never have had any issues with it, just had to tighten some of the plumbing. We are looking for a slightly bigger trailer with a walk around bed. Coachmen has been owned by Forest River for awhile, so you can get servicing at any Forest River dealership.
Littlehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:41 PM   #16

kfergiez you totally have me lost on the "heavy vinyl tape strip on just the inside of that D shaped seal" :-(

Has anyone found doors that are a decent size for the side of the dinette seats?? I want to take the paneling off of both of them on the end and install doors and possibly some type of sliding tray etc to use at least one of these spaces for 'pantry' food. I've looked at Menards and Home Depot and none of their sizes work (too big).....
Old 10-31-2017, 11:19 AM   #17

Sorry to be confusing... The D seal is only used to seal the slideout when it's shut. So, when it's extending it sounds like the gear track rubs against the inside portion of the D seal right?

They make a vinyl tape call 'Dry Erase' tape (found HERE). This tape has a great sticky side that you apply to the D seal only where it's rubbing (so on the inside of the seal). The tape itself is very durable, and will allow the gear track to rub against it and not damage the seal.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #18

Following, same issue on top D rub gasket. Metal running tracks from slide out have chewed through completely on one side.
weeezer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #19

Soon to be owner

Hi all - we are looking at purchasing our first TT this spring and the 193bhs is on our very short list.

Since this is our first move into the TT market (camping in a PUP for the last 8 years) I want to do it right.

I love the layout, weight, and build of the 193bhs but I wish there was a window for the top bunk as well. Any kids ever complain it was too stuffy up there?

Also, a concern I had was over the single axle vs trailers with tandem axles. Read on other posts that it might be a safety concern if one were to ever have a blowout with a single axle. Any thoughts?

In the event of a power outtage while camping is there a way to manually bring in the awning and/or slide? I know its unlikely since we have a battery (assuming it has enough juice to bring in those two things) - just wondering.

Can you switch off the water heater to save on propane?

Really looking forward to this summer!
cityfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfrank View Post
Hi all - we are looking at purchasing our first TT this spring and the 193bhs is on our very short list.

Since this is our first move into the TT market (camping in a PUP for the last 8 years) I want to do it right.

I love the layout, weight, and build of the 193bhs but I wish there was a window for the top bunk as well. Any kids ever complain it was too stuffy up there?

Also, a concern I had was over the single axle vs trailers with tandem axles. Read on other posts that it might be a safety concern if one were to ever have a blowout with a single axle. Any thoughts?

In the event of a power outtage while camping is there a way to manually bring in the awning and/or slide? I know its unlikely since we have a battery (assuming it has enough juice to bring in those two things) - just wondering.

Can you switch off the water heater to save on propane?

Really looking forward to this summer!
I can’t recommend this trailer more. It’s amazing. And like you, we came from a PUP of many years as well. So to answer some questions:

My 6 year old daughters as never complained about the top bunk. She loves it because it’s cozy.

I think that tandem axles are inherently more stable, but the concerns of a blowout aren’t any worse for a single axle. You’ll just ride on the rim while you get stopped. The same will happen for a tandem though. The major damage is caused by the tire flipping around and ripping up the side of the trailer. The #1 cause(s) for blowouts are underinflation, or overloading. So keep an eye on them EVERY trip, and watch for any abnormality in the condition of the tires.

There is no way to bring in the slide or awning manually. The motors for the slideout are actually in the wall with no way to crank them in. It may sound like an inconvenience, but unless they jump a gear, they never need adjusting. The awning’s motor is also inside the roll so it’s extremely difficult to retract manually. However, if you find yourself without power and dead batteries, simply hook up your tow vehicle and it will provide power.

You CAN switch off the water heater. The switch inside turns the propane source on/off and there is a separate switch on the exterior for the electric (120v AC) element. (It has both!)

Overall, it’s a great trailer. Let me know if you have any other questions!