Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #1

New Owner Freedom Express 24RKS

Hi Everyone
I just purchased a 2014 Freedom Express 24RKs. I pick it up on Saturday. I'm very excited to have more room! I had a 19' trailer that was just too small. Its just me and my small dog but looking forward to all the space this trailer has.

I plan to do some extended camping trips for the next few years until I retire. After that I think I will just travel around the west. Seems to me that the monthly rate at an RV park is a better deal than owning a house or renting an apartment and if I don't like my neighbors, I can leave

The trailer is new but since it was a 2014 I got a great deal. I plan on taking a ladder with me to the walk-thru so I can inspect the seals on the roof since its been on the lot for about a year.

I did quite a bit of lurking on this site researching the different brands and I just wanted to thank everyone for their willingness to share their own experiences and thoughts on the brand. It really helped me to narrow down my choice.

First trip probably won't be until April but I'll report back on how it goes.

Anyway, thanks again and I look forward to meeting folks down the road!

Laura
Cougarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #2

Welcome from Texas! Sounds like a grand retirement plan, congrats on your new Freedom Express.

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #3

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your 2014 Freedom Express 24RKS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #4

welcome from georgia

We are looking for the same model and year. What would be a good price?
garylawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #5

Hi Gary,
Pricing really depends on a lot of things. I see you're in Georgia so you're much closer to the plant. I'm in Oregon so there is quite a bit of freight added to the prices out here if the units are constructed in the midwest. It also depends on the dealer so I'd say if you like the trailer and the dealer, I'd just go in and see what you can do. I really like the dealer and this is the second trailer I've purchased from them. I've worked with other dealers in the area and a couple wouldn't give me the time a day. I guess they were waiting for my "husband" to arrive to make the decision (that's a whole different story but I won't bore you with the details here. This is my 4th trailer. Just sayin')

The MSRP on mine was a little over $32k and they had it on sale for $24k. I've seen the same trailer on rvtrader on sale for less than the $24k but those units are located in Ohio, Michigan, etc

I really like the floorplan and all the storage. The weight and length were right where I wanted to be so I did the deal.

I'm not sure this answered your question but good luck!!

Laura
Old 03-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #6

Welcome from Ontario Canada!

Congrats on your purchase Cougarfan, and here's hoping you enjoy your 246RKS as much as we did during our first year.
We upgraded from a Roo 17 Hybrid, so the the first time we saw the 246RKS at the dealer in Burlington, ON, we both loved the additional space, layout and storage areas, just as you did.

4 trips already booked in 2015 for the 3 of us (wife, yellow lab and yours truly)
Can't wait for the snow to stop so we can bring it back from the storage yard!

- Rob

-------------------------------------
2014 Ford F150
2015 - "Anniversary Edition" Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS
drobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #7

Are you referring to the 246RKS model? If so, it looks very nice. I'm surprised they have a residential queen size bed (60"x80") in that size trailer.
Azdel wall instead of Luan wood is great. No worry of mold.

All you need now is warm weather and you're off...

Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:55 PM   #8
txkreddog

Congratulations on your new TT! DW and I bought our 2015 Anniversary Edition 246RKS last fall. We got in three trips before the end of the season, and we love the unit. We got ours for 24K, not a great bargain, but the dealer has a good reputation, and it was priced comparable to other sellers in the area. It seems to be obvious, but DW had to remind me, read all the manuals that come with the TT, including those for the appliances/accessories. I bought a TV antenna amplifier before I found the red button that activated the antenna already installed :-( My bet is you are going to love the 246 RKS, we sure do. Happy Camping!
txkreddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by garylawrence View Post
We are looking for the same model and year. What would be a good price?

Hi Gary,
I purchased a 2014 233rbs from www.jodysrv.com in Greenwood SC and got a great deal. They have a 2014 246rks listed for $18,799. My be worth the ride for you.
gagirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #10

Thanks
Old 03-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #11

Picked up the new trailer yesterday. It towed great although it was a little twitchy on the freeway. It was a windy and the trailer was empty so I'll adjust the WDH after I get some weight in it. I have it all tucked into storage until April when I take a quick shake-down trip to Washington.

Walk-thru went well and the guy was very patient with all my questions. I've never had a slide out before so we spent quite a bit of time on that. I made him put it in and out about 10 times to make sure it worked. We ran every system and I found no leaks under the sinks or from under the trailer. I made sure there was a/c coming from all the ceiling vents and heat coming out of all the ducts. Actually, I think this is the best walk-thru I've ever had! He told me that he cleaned out all the faucets because there is always leftover stuff in the water lines at the factory so he likes to do that for delivery.

I only found two things (decal scratched and starting to peel and a broken fridge latch) He immediately took pictures of them and said they would take care of it.

I went over today and put all my stuff away (I had emptied my trade before I left yesterday). I can't believe how much storage there is!!! I think there were 6 or 7 cabinets I didn't even open!

I'm very happy with my choice and will give a report after my trip to Washington.

Laura

Old 03-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #12

Congrats, Laura! That's got to be a great feeling. Gonna be hard to wait out the time until April i bet.

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #13

Cougarfan What motor do you have in your z? Have you or did you go up any hills .Thanks Gary
Old 03-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #14

Hi Gary,
I have the 5.3L with 3.42 gears. I went up one short 5% grade on the freeway on my way home. I was able to maintain 55mph at about 3200rpms. The trailer was empty so I'm pretty sure it won't be that way when I'm loaded for camping.

Out here in the west we're not required to maintain a minimum speed on the freeway in the mountains so if I have to shift down to get up the grade I can stay in the right lane or just get in line with the trucks on the shoulder. We have some pretty impressive grades here (I know our mountains are considered "cute" to the folks in Colorado) but I have no reservations about the truck's capabilities with this trailer.

Hope this was helpful.

Laura
Old 03-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #15

I bought my 24RKS late 2012 but a 2013 model. I have logged over 10k miles with it. I have a Ram 1500 to pull it. I take my family everywhere too. Tons of room and as a single women I have had no real issues. I love mine. Enjoy!
iamkathie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom express