Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Normal. Even if they wanted to get all of the sawdust out of one after the build they couldn't. It gets buried in the ceiling and down in vents and then miraculously reappears as you travel.
Note once again the dismissive reply of one of the "regulars" to a genuine concern.
Instead of comparing RV's to houses, a better comparison would be to cruising boats, another form of travelling "house" subjected to even more stresses, with which I have had a lot of experience. No cruising boat manufacturer "worth his salt" (pun intended) could survive producing such poorly manufactured products. Perhaps if buyers would speak up more often, or simply not buy until quality improved, there would be less of this.
Look carefully at the quote above. It says "even if they wanted to", implying that they don't want to.
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #22

After 2 years I still see sawdust in some ceiling lights...termites?????? No.... not really!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #23
Who Dares, Wins

I would not say the reply is dismissive, it is just how it is... I do not agree with it but I can not change the way they make these things. And as fast as they are selling I do not think anyone will! If cheap sh@t sells they will keep selling cheap sh#t.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #24

Actually the truth is the trailer does go down the road & like an earthquake of about 4.0, shake loose saw dust, but the plain fact is yes they could do better but after living in a 35 year old house I do still find saw dust in odd places and no it is not termites........... a few beer cans too .

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #25

Do peaple by there trailer with dirty money?
Jonol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #26

Quality Control, Right?

This is just one more example of how the RV business works and how many owners just let it slip by and accept it as standard practice. I keep saying that this industry is very similar to the U.S. auto manufacturing in the 1960s. Guess what happened? They were put on their heels by quality foreign car imports and have just recently began to recover. I predict that there will eventually be competition in the RV business that will do the same. The complaints about shoddy workmanship, cheap tires and things like this ridiculous sawdust crap are so common in documenting that more than 75% of the units coming out have significant problems.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:51 PM   #27

I have a 2015 FR3 and purchased it new. For sure there were many items I found (screws, wire ties, saw dust, dirt, etc. ) in the new unit. But the killer for sure was the large amount of glue found in the gray water tank and the black water tank. THis was found by the dealer when I could not empty the water in each tank. Apparently when then the tanks were installed at the factory and the holes were cut this must have happened.

thank God for a great dealer
Larry Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #28

Larry, I found long pieces of linoleum cuttings caught in the drain valve of my black water tank as the cause for why it would not close completely. This level of incompetence is ridiculous. They must hire anyone off the street to work in the RV manufacturing factories.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpi26 View Post
This is just one more example of how the RV business works and how many owners just let it slip by and accept it as standard practice. I keep saying that this industry is very similar to the U.S. auto manufacturing in the 1960s. Guess what happened? They were put on their heels by quality foreign car imports and have just recently began to recover. I predict that there will eventually be competition in the RV business that will do the same. The complaints about shoddy workmanship, cheap tires and things like this ridiculous sawdust crap are so common in documenting that more than 75% of the units coming out have significant problems.
I don't see the same thing happening with the RV industry, regarding foreign manufacturers.
They don't have much interest in RVs, in their own country.
So there's no market for them locally.

Now, maybe some foreign manufacturers might invest in taking over some American RV companies and instill their quality standards there.
Then the other US manufacturers might get competition similar to the auto industry.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Yip. It's a mess in there!
Notice the perfectly cut holes, and the attention to detail, when running the wiring?

Attachment 98038

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
It's hard to cut holes like that, it's an art have you tried to cut one like that? Just kidding. Wonder if some of the builder check out this sight and say to other workers I'm famous they took pictures of my work.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:14 PM   #31

New Unit Sawdust on Bed

This is not my first RV. While I have not been RVing for a lifetime, we did buy our first RV in early 2011. A Skyline Mountainview 285 which was hands down superior in build quality to the build quality of our new camper. The only reason why we did not purchase another Skyline is because we just couldn't settle on a floor plan that fit us and distance to the nearest Skyline dealer. Not that our Coachmen is falling apart, far from it. It is a really nice unit, there are just obvious build issues that were not obvious at time of purchase that were not present with our previous camper. I was just curious if this is a common issue with others. Thanks all that had productive input to my post.
Nosedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:14 AM   #32

It is probably coming out of Your A/C vents. When they "clean" the RV They sweep most of the sawdust and dirt down in the floor vents. When We took delivery of ours We checked the A/C and Furnace and when they went on sawdust and dirt flew everywhere. Also all the cupboards and closets had sawdust in them from the hardware installation. Who ever prepped this TT at the Dealer never did their job. We vacuumed out all the vents when we got it and gave it a thorough cleaning.
SusanML4650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:54 AM   #33

Reminds me when we bought one of our campers the dealer told my wife it would be "man clean" but she would probably want to clean it better.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 01-20-2016, 06:02 AM   #34

Quote:

75% ?? really where did that number come from?? I really doubt that, maybe 10% our dealer sees very few campers come back for major issues.

.........and cars in the 1960s cost $3400 now they are $34000 getting to the point we can't afford new cars or campers............. the early imports from the 1960s and 70s were crap too for the most part death traps.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 01-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
With the low gas prices and some glimmer of hope in the economy, the RV industry is booming right now. Manufacturers are selling units as fast as they can build them. Attention to detail ( such as vacuuming up sawdust and cutting nice holes) is lacking, however this is no different than in home construction except your home does not travel down bumpy roads at 60MPH. It is very rare to see a contractor cut a clean properly shaped hole for electrical or plumbing installations and clean up the debris inside the wall. Trim is a huge time saver. As you perform maintenance ( winterizing) or other tasks on your RV you will continue to find examples of this lack of attention. In most all cases it is a nuisance and will not impact the operation of your unit. Not saying it is right, but is part of owning an RV today.
I wish FlyBob I could say you are wrong,,, but you are not !!!
When we had our house built,,, the wife and I came out every evening and cleaned every thing we could,,, mainly our way of helping !!!
In an RV factory no one is going to take the time to clean up after themselves,,, that might slow down production !!! Which would cost them $
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:28 AM   #36

Just have to say, everyone is talking about some sawdust ,etc etc and I my self said about finding fuses, but have you ever gone though a new housing area and seen what they do in them? At least my MH wasn't used as a outhouse in one of the closets like my buddys NEW house was!!! ( and never cleaned up before he got it , TRUE!!!)
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
Just have to say, everyone is talking about some sawdust ,etc etc and I my self said about finding fuses, but have you ever gone though a new housing area and seen what they do in them? At least my MH wasn't used as a outhouse in one of the closets like my buddys NEW house was!!! ( and never cleaned up before he got it , TRUE!!!)
I highly dough that was one of the workers that did that ???

But I have seen people do that in model homes,,,
on Manufactured home lots where the homes are not plumbed !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #38

We get more of the white residue than we do sawdust. After a year in our Wildcat MAXX we are still needing to vacuum the floor each time we arrive at our destination.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #39

Quote:
Larry, I found long pieces of linoleum cuttings caught in the drain valve of my black water tank as the cause for why it would not close completely. This level of incompetence is ridiculous. They must hire anyone off the street to work in the RV manufacturing factories.
The black water tank opening is a very convenient garbage can. Construction debris magically disappears and the workers figures it will be flushed out at the first use. Very logical!

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
Note once again the dismissive reply of one of the "regulars" to a genuine concern.

Instead of comparing RV's to houses, a better comparison would be to cruising boats, another form of travelling "house" subjected to even more stresses, with which I have had a lot of experience. No cruising boat manufacturer "worth his salt" (pun intended) could survive producing such poorly manufactured products. Perhaps if buyers would speak up more often, or simply not buy until quality improved, there would be less of this.

Look carefully at the quote above. It says "even if they wanted to", implying that they don't want to.

You're attempting to put words in my mouth. Down here in the South, when we say "even if I wanted to I couldn't", we are simply saying it's not possible. Would you want to spend money chasing an impossible goal? It would be like washing your car in the rain. Manufacturers don't stay in business spending resources on an "exercise in futility.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed