Old 03-14-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
2014Catalina 25RKS Deluxe
New (Used) Purchase/New Owner

My wife and I just bought a 2014 Catalina 25RKS Deluxe (pending inspection). The trailer has only been used three times and has less than 300 miles on the tires. It "appears" to be in mint condition. That being said, it has sat winterized in the weather here in North Georgia. Could use some advice on common problems on this model and what we need to check carefully for during our inspection. I have already gone over it it with fine tooth comb to check for water leaks. There are a few areas where caulking needs some touch up but nothing that would have let water in.

Any advice pointers would be greatly appreciated. We feel that we are getting a very good price for the unit and the upgrades it had. Original owner had replaced all upholstery with leather and a electric...sleep mate bed up front. All TV cables have been replaced with HDMI.

jeffdawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
I don't have experience with this model but are doing the inspection yourself?

2015 RAM 2500 Crew Cab 5.7L Hemi
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 290 BHS
hbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
I used several PDI checklists from various sites I had seen. We inspected yesterday and the only defects were a small corner chipped off cabinets and the water pump did not work. Already having those repair by owner and then we will close. My "assistant" was a repair technician at a local camper dealer...needless to say it took us about three hours to inspect everything....
Old 03-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
As far as flushing the water system. Need to get some Vinegar thru the system to clean out the antifreeze if it has been in a couple years. Then follow up with a bleach solution to sanitize. I pour Vinegar in the fresh water tank. I do not leave it in the system and flush the hot water tank and pull the anode rod. We have really hard water and this reduces calcium build up.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
Canadian Member
If it has an antifreeze inlet for sucking antifreeze into the water system, you can use that to suck vinegar right out of the bottle. Drain the hot water tank and then use the water pump to suck the vinegar into the system and fill the hot water tank. Let it sit for a while to dissolve on hard water deposits. Then flush the system with fresh water.
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Check roof carefully. Plan on new tires before long.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
It will not hurt to see if you can camp in it for a couple of days to make sure everything works. When we bought our Aviator in Oregon we took that advice and glad we did. When we arrived at the site to set up the AC blew within 15 minutes. The reading light fell off the wall and there was a water leak. Took it in the next mooring to have repairs done before hitting the road.
Aviator Wright Flyer 1912
F-250 2014
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #8
It looks very similar to our Flagstaff... We love the layout with the rear kitchen. Hope it all works out for you! Definitely recommend the 'close to home' camp-out -- maybe even in your driveway at home!
Joe & Sue - Camp Mutts Zeke & Dazey
2008 Flagstaff Super Lite 26RKS
2008 Ford F-150

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
Tires may only have 300 miles on them, but if they were left uncovered out in the sun they may have checked. My dad moved his FW from Texas to Oklahoma after sitting in Texas a couple of years, I told him to get new tires. He thought they looked fine and headed home anyway; yep had a bad blow out. Thankfully some nice Texas boys stopped and helped him. Did not want a 85 year old with a bum ticker changing a tire.
Chuck & Denise + Pata a.k.a the campground Gladys Karvitz
He is a picker, photographer, hiker. She is a quilter.
Both big nature lovers.
2015 23BD Grey Wolf, 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights
Life is short
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:14 PM   #10
New tires already thought out. I found some Load range D to replace the crappy C's from factory as well as a TPMS. New tires are high on the purchase list. A camper is sort of like a boat...which is a black hole in the water that money disappears into....