Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 06:20 PM   #1

Newbie question on AC Freedom Espress 292BHDS

Hi All. New to RVing and new to this forum. Hope this is the right place to ask. We took delivery of our new Freedom Express 292BHDS. Have it parked at home and going through everything to make sure all is okay before taking it to Florida in a couple of weeks. All seems to check out so far except I have a question on the AC. Where we have it parked it gets direct Sun in the afternoon on the kitchen, bathroom side of the RV. Went inside the RV today and the temp was 90 degrees even though the outside temp was only 83. Probably the sun beating down on it. Started the AC and using the quick cool feature. It took two or three hours to bring the inside down to 80 degrees. I also noticed that the thermostat is off four degrees. I am guessing because it is mounted to a shared wall of the bathroom that not only has no AC vent, but also has a skylight and that side is where the sun is hitting. Anyway does taking that long to cool down sound normal? Also at 85 or so degrees is 75 inside doable even in the sun. Thanks for any help and or pointers. Note the AC does seem to be blowing cold and the thermostat fan is on auto.
lovehifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #2

Do you have the 15k A/C or the 13,5k? Makes a pretty big difference in the longer units. Even at the 13,5k, I'd think it should cool it down a little quicker than that.
On another note... Are you plugging your TT into a standard home outlet, or did you have a 30amp outlet installed? Be careful running an A/C off a standard outlet. It could cause serious issues.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #3

And welcome to the forum (and RVing) 👍
Old 04-18-2016, 07:07 PM   #4

And the more I think about it... Only down 10 degrees in 3 hours... There's definitely an issue. It should be to 70 in that time.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

Thanks and great to be herer. Hope I can learn a lot. It is hooked into a 30 amp RV outlet. It is a 15000 size. My Wife said in reality it took about 1.5 hours to cool down 10 degrees. It was hot in there. When it finally cooled down it seemed to maintain that temp. However it also got cooler outside. Right now I have the thermostat set at 77 degrees which compared to my other digital thermometers I bought is equivalent to 74 room temp. Like I said the thermostat is about 4 degrees off. Thought I would leave it at that while the day warms tomorrow with the sun and see if it maintains it. One thing that I am sure did not help was I left the plywood board cover off the lower bunk rack where the hot water tank and water pump is. The hot water heater was not on but with that board off I can see the outside storage compartment door even though it was closed. I put the board back in place and the bunk mattress. If it does not do right tomorrow I will call the dealer. Thanks for your help. Just want to make sure everything is 100 percent before taking a trip.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #6

Sounds like you might have some variables that might effect cooling times. The 15k's are pretty sweet and should do the job, no problem. Our previous TT had an analog thermostat that was off by about 4-degrees... So I ordered a new digital one from Amazon and that solved my problem. Good luck and safe travels.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 04-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #7

It did a lot better today. It was 87 and it maintained 75 throughout the day. I also did some experimenting with the directional air vents and that seemed to help. I guess on a really hot day I could close the sliding pocket doors to the bedroom and the vent in there and it may help force more air in to the living area.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #8

So it would only get to 75, or is that what you had the therm. set to? With a 15k, you should be able to cool to whatever temp you want easily with an outdoor temp of 87. And you shouldn't have to rig anything for it to keep temperature. I would monitor it closely... It still sounds to me like you have an issue somewhere.
I was kinda hoping for some others to chime in here. There are many good people here that have been around the block much more often than myself.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:11 PM   #9

We have a Rockwood 2702WS 32' bunkhouse with a 15k AC unit. It immediately blows ice cold air and cools the trailer down quickly. In 90 deg weather 2 weeks ago in California, cooled down the trailer in under 30 mins, comfortable in 10-15 mins.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:41 PM   #10

Thanks all. I have the tech coming by from the dealer tomorrow to check it out. Question how often is the norm for the ac to kick on and off? Mine stays on 30-45 minutes at a time and again that is with 87 out side and thermostat set at 75. I agree that it seems to be working too hard given it not even really hot. It blows cold air though. The tech on the phone said every thing sounded normal so I may have to get a second opinion. Maybe I should call the company that makes the AC unit too. One last question. Is it okay to use the quick cool vent partially open that way using both that and the duct vents?
Old 04-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

The AC should stay on until it's cooled down to the desired temperature, then cycle on and off as the temperature rises and falls. Usually, it won't turn on again until it is a couple degrees above the set temp. It should not be cycling on and off if the inside temperature is well above your set temp.
jason_sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #12

Think I figured out the problem. On the inside unit there were many open gaps between the forced air and return vents. Sealed them off with duct tape and it seems much happier now.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #13
Site Team

You can use the quick cool dump vent partially open. When you first start the AC in a hot humid TT, I recommend opening the QC-dump as it allows for a higher flow rate of air and reduces the possibility of freezing up the internal coils. Once the temp and humidity goes down you can close the QC dump.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #14

Freedom Express 292 BHDS

We have the same unit and have experienced the same issues with cooling the trailer. This size unit should have 2 AC units in place to cool this unit and keep it comfortable. Due to the trailer desigh you are unable to add an additional unit and are stuck with the one 15,000 unit.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your unit.
hhabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #15

Discussed last summer, 15,000 Dometic AC units have been built undercharged with freon.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ure-83163.html
Old 04-23-2016, 07:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehifi View Post
Hi All. New to RVing and new to this forum. Hope this is the right place to ask. We took delivery of our new Freedom Express 292BHDS. Have it parked at home and going through everything to make sure all is okay before taking it to Florida in a couple of weeks. All seems to check out so far except I have a question on the AC. Where we have it parked it gets direct Sun in the afternoon on the kitchen, bathroom side of the RV. Went inside the RV today and the temp was 90 degrees even though the outside temp was only 83. Probably the sun beating down on it. Started the AC and using the quick cool feature. It took two or three hours to bring the inside down to 80 degrees. I also noticed that the thermostat is off four degrees. I am guessing because it is mounted to a shared wall of the bathroom that not only has no AC vent, but also has a skylight and that side is where the sun is hitting. Anyway does taking that long to cool down sound normal? Also at 85 or so degrees is 75 inside doable even in the sun. Thanks for any help and or pointers. Note the AC does seem to be blowing cold and the thermostat fan is on auto.
Since you have the 15,000 AC you can also Help cool issues by installing "Vent Cushions" in all your roof vents/fans! If your unit also has the "Skylight" in the Bath and eating area slide,think about covering/insulating they as well! Youroo!!
Old 04-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
Discussed last summer, 15,000 Dometic AC units have been built undercharged with freon.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ure-83163.html

That's pretty interesting. I had a Coleman Mach 15k... So I guess I'm not comparing Apples2Apples.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehifi View Post
Think I figured out the problem. On the inside unit there were many open gaps between the forced air and return vents. Sealed them off with duct tape and it seems much happier now.
Did you have any pictures of these open gaps? We have not had to use the AC yet.

Tags
292bhds, newbie